COVID-19

April 1, 2020, 3:28 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: Kieran

Total lockdown doesn't seem to have helped Italy or Spain. 

Oh?  And exactly what is the basis for this claim?  Spain and Italy were late to respond, so the situation got out of control, but can you cite facts suggesting that it would have been no different without the lockdown?

Not only that but they even had a hug a chinese person day. Where the fuck was my hug!

April 1, 2020, 5:07 p.m.

Total lockdown doesn't seem to have helped Italy or Spain. 

Oh?  And exactly what is the basis for this claim?  Spain and Italy were late to respond, so the situation got out of control, but can you cite facts suggesting that it would have been no different without the lockdown?

Just looking at the numbers. I doubt many people there will think its been a success. I have friends in Madrid, and they dont think so. Businesses gone, finished, over. It going to hurt for a long time.

I'm not saying any method is the correct one. But I think you have to be realistic that final numbers are not the be all and end all.

April 1, 2020, 5:26 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Posted by: tungsten

If thta's your thang....

You've not seen those sad fucks on Instagram trying to prove a point that this virus is nothing?

Its going to be interesting to see how the 3rd world countries fair in relation to the West. Will herd immunity prove actually better in the long run?

I've seen arguments for that they might actually get it over and done more quickly with less deaths.

Allowing it to spread 'naturally' will certainly get it over with more quickly, but it absolutely will not result in fewer deaths.

No one knows that. All these 'models' that you see are just that.

There are theories that it will mutate into a less deadly virus if left to run naturally.

We simply don't know and to claim anything other than that is simply speculation.

"Letting it spread" naturally didn't work so well with the 1918 influenza.

Totally different set of circumstances. In both available health care and public information about the virus.

In the USA, they let it spread in some cases, and social distanced in others.  The difference was dramatic.  That's the model.

The difference is still being played out? And some places have been infected longer than others. Total lockdown doesn't seem to have helped Italy or Spain. Who knows, things may turn out differently, I only hope all these measures being taken don't fuck us all in the long term, I've been listening to arguments from both sides and neither seem to know.

I think I’ll go with pulling my head out of my ass and figuring out how to social distance, wash my hands and stay the fuck away from public places. Unless it’s groceries or beer of course.

April 1, 2020, 6:28 p.m.

It’s way too early in this thing to be drawing conclusions about the relative harms and benefits of differing approaches but here are some emerging patters WRT infection rates from the US. Note the shapes of the curves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/01/lockdown-coronavirus-california-data/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/01/lockdown-coronavirus-california-data/

Last edited by: tashi on April 1, 2020, 6:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 1, 2020, 7:05 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I think I’ll go with pulling my head out of my ass and figuring out how to social distance, wash my hands and stay the fuck away from public places. 

If someone cannot understand that this saves a lot of lives, they need to go back to school.

April 1, 2020, 7:12 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I think I’ll go with pulling my head out of my ass and figuring out how to social distance, wash my hands and stay the fuck away from public places. 

If someone cannot understand that this saves a lot of lives, they need to go back to school.

If you are not concerned about your own well-being, at least be concerned for those you may pass it on to. Seniors, or people with depressed immune systems.

April 1, 2020, 7:23 p.m.

I'm not saying anything of the above. Seems like a few people need to for out for a ride or something.

April 2, 2020, 12:06 p.m.

Well this is interesting.. I also found a link to corroborate this..

https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/emerging-diseases/news/online/%7B85a3f9c0-ed0a-4be8-9ca2-8854b2be7d13%7D/fauci-no-doubt-trump-will-face-surprise-infectious-disease-outbreak

April 2, 2020, 8:30 p.m.

Elon Musk promised ventilators. He is providing BPAP machines. Which hospitals can't use to treat COVID-19 because they aerosolize the virus and increase the spread of infection. Classic Musk snake oil.

April 2, 2020, 9:09 p.m.

Elon Musk promised ventilators. He is providing BPAP machines. Which hospitals can't use to treat COVID-19 because they aerosolize the virus and increase the spread of infection. Classic Musk snake oil.

Are they all-electric? Subsidized by the government?

April 2, 2020, 11:47 p.m.

I noticed that yesterday Russia had a 25% increase in reported cases. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days, but they could be in for a large exponential increase.

Edit: their increase today is 17% over yesterday.

Last edited by: switch on April 3, 2020, 1 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 3, 2020, 4:11 a.m.

I wouldn’t count on any real accurate numbers, after all they still maintain that there were only 31 deaths in the Chernobyl disaster.

April 3, 2020, 7:27 a.m.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/you-may-be-able-spread-coronavirus-just-breathing-new-report-finds

If this is the case, then it's going to go on for a lot longer than we all realise.

April 3, 2020, 8:58 a.m.

You guys love to jump on Musk, a man that is actually trying to help, but it appears this is not snake oil.  

https://www.newsweek.com/elon-musk-tesla-ventilators-coronavirus-covid19-resmed-bipap-machines-1495927

Snake oil you say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-pfzKbh2k

April 3, 2020, 9 a.m.

Hopefully the points about it not necessarily being a viable virus that’s being transmitted and the specific conditions required to generate an aerosol hold true.