COVID-19

March 11, 2020, 10:49 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: syncro

I wonder what the final infection rate  will be - as high as the 65% some experts have predicted?

If we enacted the same measures the Chinese did it wouldn't have to be but we all know our culture couldn't accept it so yeah probably.

South Korea is on the decline and they didn't have shock troops welding families into their homes.

Seriously, fuck that shit.

March 12, 2020, 12:36 a.m.

I think the article mentioned something about 9 specific deaths.  Regardless, death tolls from other countries include these types of facilities.

March 12, 2020, 12:45 a.m.

Posted by: switch

I think the article mentioned something about 9 specific deaths.  Regardless, death tolls from other countries include these types of facilities.

My humble suggestion... if you were to boldly claim, "Here’s what I’m going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources", don't make your sources part of an image.

Fucking especially when all the sources are named after the fucking author.

Jesus fucking christ, I don't care if it's right but it's right out of a Trumpian playbook.

March 12, 2020, 12:45 a.m.

It'd be easier to say he's a fucking charlatan at this point at how hard he made it to verify.

March 12, 2020, 9:42 a.m.

if you'd like a version with better citations (although i thought the first article was quite well reasoned)...

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on March 12, 2020, 9:45 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 12, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

Your ignorance of mainland Chinese culture is showing. Most people were willing to make the personal sacrifices neccessary. And yeah I saw the video of the kid in the mask. I saw lots of other videos too...I could share them but they dont have subtitles

maybe, but the vids of people being locked in their apartment buildings or forced into ambulances and military vehicles seem to suggest that the lock down wasn't an entirely compliant affair. maybe your love of chinese culture is blinding you to some of the problems that do exist?

What's to love about being forcibly quarantined? It fucking sucks obviously. Get ready because it's gonna happen to us. And I don't "love" chinese culture. I just understand it more than you do. Remember I still know a lot of people there that I keep in touch with. I have access to more personal on the ground accounts than you do. I saw one video with a headline : "Chinese citizens locked in own apartments cry out in agony and despair"

I watched the video and they were actually shouting encouragement to each other out the window like: go Wuhan! Go China! Keep your head up everyone! We'll beat this! Wuhan will not be defeated!

They came together as a people to do the neccessary thing but that isn't what we want to hear for some reason. This is why it's gonna hit us much harder. If our government told us to all stay at home and started forcing potentially sick people into quarantine we're gonna be like "fuck off you can't tell me what to do..I have tickets to Tool!"

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on March 12, 2020, 10:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 12, 2020, 10:28 a.m.

What's to love about being forcibly quarantined? It fucking sucks obviously. Get ready because it's gonna happen to us. And I don't "love" chinese culture. I just understand it more than you do. Remember I still know a lot of people there that I keep in touch with. I have access to more personal on the ground accounts than you do. I saw one video with a headline : "Chinese citizens locked in own apartments cry out in agony and despair"

I watched the video and they were actually shouting encouragement to each other out the window like: go Wuhan! Go China! Keep your head up everyone! We'll beat this! Wuhan will not be defeated!

They came together as a people to do the neccessary thing but that isn't what we want to hear for some reason. This is why it's gonna hit us much harder. If our government told us to all stay at home and started forcing potentially sick people into quarantine we're gonna be like "fuck off you can't tell me what to do..I have tickets to Tool!"

The difference here, in BC at least, is that the government has been very upfront about this from the beginning and they are constantly telling us what to do and what not to do in response to the virus. Compared to many other jurisdictions it seems like we have a better grip on things.

March 12, 2020, 10:59 a.m.

here in berlin health officials demanding now that public life is shut down, politicians so far don‘t act, for now all cultural events are cancelled and events over 1000 attendees. austria already closed down all schools, universities and events with more than 100 attendees. i guess the city is gonna be on lockdown in less than a week. how’s your day going on so far?

March 12, 2020, 12:03 p.m.

So the town goes on lock down then what? When do they lift it?

March 12, 2020, 12:57 p.m.

The difference here, in BC at least, is that the government has been very upfront about this from the beginning and they are constantly telling us what to do and what not to do in response to the virus. Compared to many other jurisdictions it seems like we have a better grip on things.

You literally have no idea what the central government in China did or didnt do. The fact that they don't have millions dead already and the rate of new cases has slowed down considerably is proof they have a good grip on things. 

The biggest difference is they have enough money to completely shut down society for a few months. 

Do we?

March 12, 2020, 2:06 p.m.

You literally have no idea what the central government in China did or didnt do. The fact that they don't have millions dead already and the rate of new cases has slowed down considerably is proof they have a good grip on things. 

The biggest difference is they have enough money to completely shut down society for a few months. 

Do we?

I know they did some good things like mobilizing resources, but they also suppressed information which seems to be a theme with the CPC

March 12, 2020, 4:19 p.m.

Do we?

I know they did some good things like mobilizing resources, but they also suppressed information which seems to be a theme with the CPC

Aside from the Wuhan civic government dropping the ball during the initial outbreak what information did the central government suppress exactly?

March 12, 2020, 5:04 p.m.

Was referring to the initial suppression, as for other topics the Uighurs come to mind.

March 12, 2020, 5:12 p.m.

There's another thread for that. I've said all I have to say on that topic. Stay on topic. What's more I already acknowledged that the local government in Wuhan fucked up during the initial outbreak. Why are you bringing it up again? 

We're lucky this outbreak happened in China and not India or the United states or some parts of Africa. Since the central government took over the situation China has been nothing but completely forthcoming and cooperative with the global community. 

If you want a perfect example of how to handle this look no further than South Korea. They've been doing  great job unfortunately our government is in no way prepared to accomplish anything like it.

March 12, 2020, 5:32 p.m.

My point there was that the CPC is not a very open govt, even by western standards.  I brought it up because you asked me for some examples. Maybe instead of being so hurt over people questioning what happened in your beloved China realize that the discussion can flow in many directions. 

This all goes back to my question about the infection rate and you claimed that if we enacted the same measures as China the numbers wouldn’t be too high. I correctly pointed out it may not be as bad considering how they fucked up in the beginning and that let covid get established over there. Our initial reaction to the cases here in BC has been quite different.  Get over yourself and this trip you’re on and  look at the facts for what they are without any bias.