COVID-19

March 10, 2020, 2:04 p.m.

My kitty would appreciate that^^^^^^^^^^

March 10, 2020, 4:13 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

My kitty would appreciate that^^^^^^^^^^

March 10, 2020, 5:13 p.m.

As I discussed in a 2018 post, there’s a substantial body of research showing that influenza tends to peak in the cold season and wane in the summer across midlatitudes. The key meteorological factor isn’t the heat – it’s the humidity. At higher relative humidity, the virus appears to be less stable, and the small virus-bearing droplets sent into the air by a cough seem more likely to attract water vapor and fall out of the air before infecting someone else. There’s also evidence that the flu takes hold in the upper respiratory tract more readily during dry weather.

This moisture effect may not be large, but it’s robust and significant, according to Jeffrey Shaman (Columbia University), a leading researcher on the flu-weather connection.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/coronavirus-and-seasonality-what-we-know-and-dont-know

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 10, 2020, 5:20 p.m.

TIL.  Thanks.

March 11, 2020, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

As I discussed in a 2018 post, there’s a substantial body of research showing that influenza tends to peak in the cold season and wane in the summer across midlatitudes. The key meteorological factor isn’t the heat – it’s the humidity. At higher relative humidity, the virus appears to be less stable, and the small virus-bearing droplets sent into the air by a cough seem more likely to attract water vapor and fall out of the air before infecting someone else. There’s also evidence that the flu takes hold in the upper respiratory tract more readily during dry weather.

This moisture effect may not be large, but it’s robust and significant, according to Jeffrey Shaman (Columbia University), a leading researcher on the flu-weather connection.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/coronavirus-and-seasonality-what-we-know-and-dont-know

I wonder how much this affects the different regions?  Singapore has been praised for its response but they must have also been helped by their high humidity.

March 11, 2020, 5:47 p.m.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I can't figure out how links work anymore. Anyways this is sobering stuff. Part of me wants to move to Texada for a few months...

March 11, 2020, 5:47 p.m.

Oh whaddya know links are easier than ever

March 11, 2020, 5:48 p.m.

I wonder what the final infection rate  will be - as high as the 65% some experts have predicted?

March 11, 2020, 5:59 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I wonder what the final infection rate  will be - as high as the 65% some experts have predicted?

If we enacted the same measures the Chinese did it wouldn't have to be but we all know our culture couldn't accept it so yeah probably.

March 11, 2020, 6:23 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

If we enacted the same measures the Chinese did it wouldn't have to be but we all know our culture couldn't accept it so yeah probably.

I don't think Chinese culture accepted it either - they were forced into it.

March 11, 2020, 7:23 p.m.

I don't think Chinese culture accepted it either - they were forced into it.

Your ignorance of mainland Chinese culture is showing. Most people were willing to make the personal sacrifices neccessary. And yeah I saw the video of the kid in the mask. I saw lots of other videos too...I could share them but they dont have subtitles

March 11, 2020, 7:30 p.m.

Your ignorance of mainland Chinese culture is showing. Most people were willing to make the personal sacrifices neccessary. And yeah I saw the video of the kid in the mask. I saw lots of other videos too...I could share them but they dont have subtitles

maybe, but the vids of people being locked in their apartment buildings or forced into ambulances and military vehicles seem to suggest that the lock down wasn't an entirely compliant affair. maybe your love of chinese culture is blinding you to some of the problems that do exist?

March 11, 2020, 8:16 p.m.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I can't figure out how links work anymore. Anyways this is sobering stuff. Part of me wants to move to Texada for a few months...

Good read.

March 11, 2020, 8:21 p.m.

I wonder what the final infection rate will be - as high as the 65% some experts have predicted?

You mean the measures that created the outbreak? Or the virus?

Last edited by: switch on March 11, 2020, 8:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 11, 2020, 8:31 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Good read.

it is, but there seems to be some flaws in the article. the big one that stands out is that while talking about the deaths in WA state they don't seem to account for the fact of where those deaths came from - the nursing home. so as we know now a worker who was infected can unfortunately pass this on to a large number of highly vulnerable people who are more susceptible to dying. so using those deaths to try and establish some sort of estimation of total infections without considering the context seems like faulty logic to me.