COVID-19

Jan. 23, 2020, 2:16 p.m.

It is still early but this thing looks like it might be really nasty. 2 cities in China are on lockdown. Most of the news is pretty optimistic so far, but I find that unsettling for some reason. Have I been exposed to too much Shogun conspiracy thinking? Snakes? Really, it might be from snakes.

What we know so far

I am not really worried yet, but I would cancel any Wuhan vacations you might have planned.

For a less optimistic report

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 24, 2020, 12:49 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: less potentially racist
Jan. 23, 2020, 2:55 p.m.

What's really scary is China's tendency to stay with an alternative narrative until the disease is too widespread to cover up, like they did with Sars.

Jan. 23, 2020, 4:20 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

What's really scary is China's tendency to stay with an alternative narrative until the disease is too widespread to cover up, like they did with Sars.

And with SARS the incubation was half that of this one, so keeping mum this time around could be much worse.

Jan. 23, 2020, 6:09 p.m.

Fast Orange was always saying what a great place China is. I'll pass, thank you.

Jan. 23, 2020, 8:18 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Snakes? Really, it might be from snakes.

No, eels. Chinese stick eels up their rectum to cure constipation.

Jan. 24, 2020, noon

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Hepcat

And with SARS the incubation was half that of this one, so keeping mum this time around could be much worse.

I doubt I have to say correct me if I'm wrong but something to consider is this is pneumonic plague and not the beervirus - coronav causes pneumonia like sypmtons from what I'm reading so far. There were reports In late Nov from Shanghai or Beijing about some tourists either going to and from or just from Mongolia back to China who needed to be treated for pneumonic plague because they ate some marmots.

Jan. 24, 2020, 12:03 p.m.

Here's some happy tweets:

https://twitter.com/paulhunghk1001/status/1220754851014950914

Two other things to keep in mind: There is a patent on this virus and surprisingly enough, the only bio-lab in China with clearance to study this level of virus was in, Wuhan.

From goog:

-The Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory is the only lab in China designated for studying dangerous pathogens like SARS and Ebola.
-Ahead of its January 2018 opening, biosafety experts and scientists from the US expressed concerns that a virus could escape the lab.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on Jan. 24, 2020, 12:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 24, 2020, 1:50 p.m.

With the Chinese New year happening the transit systems are jammed with people headed home from their sweat shop jobs to see their families. This is going to spread the virus nationwide. Perfect storm so to speak

Jan. 24, 2020, 2:09 p.m.

From Nov 2015 and a short read.

Lab-Made Coronavirus Triggers Debate

to engineer a virus with the surface protein of the SHC014 coronavirus, found in horseshoe bats in China, and the backbone of to one that causes human-like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in mice. The hybrid virus could infect human airway cells and caused disease in mice

Jan. 24, 2020, 2:14 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

With the Chinese New year happening the transit systems are jammed with people headed home from their sweat shop jobs to see their families. This is going to spread the virus nationwide. Perfect storm so to speak

Guess you didnt see the news yesterday of glimpses of somewhere in China - streets to airports empty. Also most cafes and theatre's are closed by order of the Govment already. Considering I've read people are being tested everywhere for this already (Seattle, Chicago, Newark, UK/Ire, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand etc), I think we'll find out if the storm fizzles or is just starting.

Jan. 24, 2020, 3:20 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: Brocklanders

Guess you didnt see the news yesterday of glimpses of somewhere in China - streets to airports empty. Also most cafes and theatre's are closed by order of the Govment already. Considering I've read people are being tested everywhere for this already (Seattle, Chicago, Newark, UK/Ire, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand etc), I think we'll find out if the storm fizzles or is just starting.

The Chinese new year is the largest human migration on the planet... 400 million in transit. Lets hope they catch it in time.

Jan. 24, 2020, 8:14 p.m.

The new BC roadside check....

A woman in Chicago was the second confirmed case in the U.S. after the virus was discovered in Washington state.

At least one other potential case is being monitored in Texas, and testing is being done on at least three other suspected cases in Michigan, one in Tennessee, one in Minnesota, one in California, and four in New York. 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/24/life-under-lockdown-in-china-hospital-queues-and-empty-streets

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 24, 2020, 8:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 26, 2020, 12:58 p.m.

So a few things dont make sense in a way. I've read 50-60million Chinese in 5+ cities are quarantined; yet flights from Wuhan are still taking off and there's only a reported 60 deaths?

Which means this is either like a psyop or much worse. I also found out that the Forsythia herb from the movie Contagion is in fact a real herb. I thought it a movie named reference to a real one or just made up.

Jan. 27, 2020, 8:13 a.m.

"Only" 60 deaths?

You are an actual monster.

Jan. 27, 2020, 8:44 a.m.

Yes the coronavirus is a cause for concern, but it seems to be being managed as well as it can be given the circumstances. To put it in perspective, 3500/year die in Canada from the flu but there is nowhere near the fear that something like this brings for some reason. People will go out and buy medical masks thinking that they will help and cancel cultural events because of the threat of coronavirus, but those same people wont go out and get a flu shot every year. Yes, I know the flu shot isnt 100% and has its own set of debates, Im just trying to emphasize how people can react to something new in such irrational ways.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Jan. 27, 2020, 8:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.