COVID-19

May 7, 2020, 9:42 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: Kieran

This chart from the BBC sums it up for me. Gotta live with the virus, it's not going anywhere and neither is the human race. Well not until Trump pushes the big red button.

The graph destroys its own point. Chance of dying of COVID is in addition to all other background risks of dying. All those other risks don't disappear just because COVID is the meanest kid on the block. So the graph clearly shows that adding COVID to the mix doubles one's chance of dying.

Better not step outside today then

May 7, 2020, 10:37 a.m.

The Guardian is pro lockdown but yeah probably bots.

Yeah I also read the other BBC story. Its all still super low risk in general.

I for one am glad that BC is opening up. Keep away from those you know are compromised, keep ya distance, cover your dam face when coughing or sneezing and keep on keeping on. If you want to lock yourselves up for a couple of years then that's up to the individual.

I'm seriously more worried about what can happen between US and China. Both leaders are pricks.

When you jam this issue into either a “pro-lockdown/afraid of life” or “get to work/this is no big deal” box you will lose a lot of understanding of how this thing is working. There’s plenty of nuance and the information is rapidly developing  

There are plenty of people trying to capitalize on this crisis, to me it seems best to be critical and cautious as the reproductions are still very much unknown and potentially lethal for many.

And yes, I went out today. Just like every day since this shit hit. I was just smart about it and followed the guidelines that the experts have come up with, and did my best to understand the reasons behind the guidelines and how they’ve changed.

May 7, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

There is a lot of nuances.  I would love to go back to normal.  I have a super bored 7-year-old daughter that wants to go to the park and see her friends super bad, but I also have a wife with an issue with her lungs that is still not diagnosed because she can't get in for the cat scan she needs.  My mom is in a care home, but I also don't like watching the economy turn down the road toward total dog shit.  

The fear is baked into the cake already Keiran.  That is not going to change for people like me that have people close to them (literally) that would have a significant chance of dying if they catch it.  We are all lucky to be in a part of North America that has done well, but a big part of that is the measures that we all took.  The US lost more people in April than they did during the entire Vietnam War and it would have been worse if they just looked at a graph and said "That doesn't look too bad to me.  Let's treat it like the annual flu."

May 7, 2020, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: three-sheets

Posted by: tashi

Oh your shopping is slow?

Cry me a fucking river.

I walked into save on....no line up. ..went to the beer store...  same....had to go by crappy tire, 1 hour line up to get in.

Im licking you first.

Maybe there will be a monument to your sacrifice when this is all over.  Like a massive important-looking stone podium with a tiny violin on it.

This will be a glorious day...

May 7, 2020, 11:31 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

The Guardian is pro lockdown but yeah probably bots.

Yeah I also read the other BBC story. Its all still super low risk in general.

I for one am glad that BC is opening up. Keep away from those you know are compromised, keep ya distance, cover your dam face when coughing or sneezing and keep on keeping on. If you want to lock yourselves up for a couple of years then that's up to the individual.

I'm seriously more worried about what can happen between US and China. Both leaders are pricks.

When you jam this issue into either a “pro-lockdown/afraid of life” or “get to work/this is no big deal” box you will lose a lot of understanding of how this thing is working. There’s plenty of nuance and the information is rapidly developing  

There are plenty of people trying to capitalize on this crisis, to me it seems best to be critical and cautious as the reproductions are still very much unknown and potentially lethal for many.

And yes, I went out today. Just like every day since this shit hit. I was just smart about it and followed the guidelines that the experts have come up with, and did my best to understand the reasons behind the guidelines and how they’ve changed.

Posted by: chupacabra

There is a lot of nuances.  I would love to go back to normal.  I have a super bored 7-year-old daughter that wants to go to the park and see her friends super bad, but I also have a wife with an issue with her lungs that is still not diagnosed because she can't get in for the cat scan she needs.  My mom is in a care home, but I also don't like watching the economy turn down the road toward total dog shit.  

The fear is baked into the cake already Keiran.  That is not going to change for people like me that have people close to them (literally) that would have a significant chance of dying if they catch it.  We are all lucky to be in a part of North America that has done well, but a big part of that is the measures that we all took.  The US lost more people in April than they did during the entire Vietnam War and it would have been worse if they just looked at a graph and said "That doesn't look too bad to me.  Let's treat it like the annual flu."

I'm no longer convinced that this forum is populated by risk taking mtbers ;)

Totally hear you guys and yeah I'm a similar position in terms of having compromised relatives / friends, have family in nursing and friends that run small business that are going to shit. I'd just like to see the drama about it been lowered somewhat, but the media are loving it and pushing the fear hard.

A few people from my wife's work have not been outside a handful of times in 8 weeks. Crazy, really crazy. I have friends in the UK that are in a much harder lockdown that have been out more.

Just do what you feel you have to do. I'm not judging. I'm only putting out my opinion on it.

May 7, 2020, 1:27 p.m.

I'm no longer convinced that this forum is populated by risk taking mtbers ;)

Totally hear you guys and yeah I'm a similar position in terms of having compromised relatives / friends, have family in nursing and friends that run small business that are going to shit. I'd just like to see the drama about it been lowered somewhat, but the media are loving it and pushing the fear hard.

A few people from my wife's work have not been outside a handful of times in 8 weeks. Crazy, really crazy. I have friends in the UK that are in a much harder lockdown that have been out more.

Just do what you feel you have to do. I'm not judging. I'm only putting out my opinion on it.

I am closing in on 50 fast.  My risk-taking days are certainly behind me.  I would have to dig around in the garage to find my pads.  LOL.  

I hear what you are saying, and although I don't want to get it myself, I am not afraid to catch for my own well being.  I would hate to be in HR in a government office as people start coming back to work.  The excuses for not coming in will be insane.  People just need to be sensible and that is not the government stopping them.  All the government is trying to do is keep the rate of the spread below 1.    If we can do that the virus slowly goes away.  If we can't it will increase exponentially.

May 7, 2020, 1:28 p.m.

Covid has killed a bunch of md's/nurses/HC workers which you don't normaly see from the flu, I seen the figure of <2100 killed in the line of duty and Covid  is still killing 4-5000 people a per day world wide

The new normal is going to be social distancing and wearing masks, the best case scenario we get a vaccine in 2 yrs, wonder how many karens won't take it ?

On the Biking front ( kind of why we are here) th LBS is an essential service so still open and the guys I talked to say business is Booming ... its crazy busy

May 8, 2020, 9:13 p.m.

+ How many travelers have been infected with COVID by TSA agents? 500 TSA screeners have tested positive, but TSA did not require them to wear masks until … yesterday.

+ A French-Algerian fishmonger, 42, showed up with COVID-19 at an ER in Paris on December 27, only two weeks after the first cases presented in hospitals in Wuhan. The man had not traveled overseas since a trip to Algeria in August.

+ Two-thirds of all Canadian COVID deaths have been in Quebec, their Premier, François Legault, has starting to lift social distancing restrictions — and is now is blocking release of information about outbreaks.

Last edited by: tungsten on May 8, 2020, 10:34 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
May 9, 2020, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Covid has killed a bunch of md's/nurses/HC workers which you don't normaly see from the flu, I seen the figure of <2100 killed in the line of duty and Covid  is still killing 4-5000 people a per day world wide

This isnt supposed to be a usual asshole post of mine but I'm all about context and contrast so the virus taking down HCW can be broken down into two simple starter reasons: the fact its a new to everyone virus and its small size. sars2 is .13 microns while n95 masks filter .3microns+.

As for the daily death tolls you listed, if I remember a system of down song correctly, 4,000 people die per hour from starvation. Just checked and it's 25,000 a day die from hunger. Aint that some shit (if actually accurate, I only checked one source).

May 9, 2020, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Someone pleeeeease photoshop Bidens face onto the creeper skeleton full-on groping the red dress lady right in the middle! Anyone remember an old Axe commercial: He's going for the double chesty to hair sniff.

May 10, 2020, 12:38 p.m.

Don't let this happen to you!

In Missouri, where cases are still increasing, Governor Mike Parson said, “When we open the state up, if you’ve got to go back to work, if your boss calls and says you have to go back to work, you have to go back to work.” In Iowa, where cases also are still increasing, state Workforce Development Director Beth Townsend said, “We want to remind all individuals that if you are recalled to work and choose not to return, you may lose eligibility for unemployment benefits in addition to losing your job.”

In Oklahoma, which has a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and where, yet again, new cases are increasing, state officials are already offering up stereotypes of COVID unemployment pay fraud. Teresa Thomas Keller, the deputy director of the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission, said, “If there is a claimant out there that says, ‘You know what, I can make more money sitting at home, drawing this extra $600, and some other benefits,’ then if the employer will contact us, that is considered a refusal of civil work and we will cut off their benefits.” 

https://blog.ucsusa.org/derrick-jackson/the-push-to-relax-covid-19-protections-exposes-age-old-racial-wounds

Last edited by: tungsten on May 10, 2020, 12:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2020, 12:48 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Someone pleeeeease photoshop Bidens face onto the creeper skeleton full-on groping the red dress lady right in the middle! Anyone remember an old Axe commercial: He's going for the double chesty to hair sniff.

May 10, 2020, 2:45 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Don't let this happen to you!

In Missouri, where cases are still increasing, Governor Mike Parson said, “When we open the state up, if you’ve got to go back to work, if your boss calls and says you have to go back to work, you have to go back to work.” In Iowa, where cases also are still increasing, state Workforce Development Director Beth Townsend said, “We want to remind all individuals that if you are recalled to work and choose not to return, you may lose eligibility for unemployment benefits in addition to losing your job.”

In Oklahoma, which has a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and where, yet again, new cases are increasing, state officials are already offering up stereotypes of COVID unemployment pay fraud. Teresa Thomas Keller, the deputy director of the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission, said, “If there is a claimant out there that says, ‘You know what, I can make more money sitting at home, drawing this extra $600, and some other benefits,’ then if the employer will contact us, that is considered a refusal of civil work and we will cut off their benefits.” 

https://blog.ucsusa.org/derrick-jackson/the-push-to-relax-covid-19-protections-exposes-age-old-racial-wounds

Well, at least they’ll still have their guns.

May 10, 2020, 3:07 p.m.

Can’t open the parks soon enough. It has to be better than what I’ve seen this weekend. Living in Mission I’m along Old Dewdney between the Woodlot and town a fair bit for the last 15+ years. I have never seen the usual spots for riding and hiking as jammed packed as they are right now. Mill pond, ridiculously full, people parking on the road. All the hiking spots from near the dump all the way to the dam folks parked on both sides of the road anywhere it was wide enough, even both hairpins.The Woodlot blew me away, never have I ever seen cars parked more than halfway up 123rd both sides of the road. Wow. Starting to sympathize with you guys on the shore.

May 10, 2020, 3:25 p.m.

@Thaaad - lol thank you Sir! I think you chose the perfect facial expression too.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on May 10, 2020, 3:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.