COVID-19

Feb. 23, 2022, 9:32 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Is Our Pandemic the Ghost of the 1889 Russian Flu?

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/02/14/Pandemic-Ghost-Russian-Flu/

While I didnt search the article, more of a skim and scan, was there anything stating that they found and exhumed bodies to test tissue samples to find out if it was a novel corona virus or a novel flu? Otherwise, it could be construed as some of that fake news or one that muddies that waters between fact and le fiction. They did exhume bodies in Alaska 10+ years ago to "analyze" the Spanish Flu bee tee dub.

Feb. 24, 2022, 7:22 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: tashi
 We better hope there isn’t another one like this coming soon.

It's just around the corner bruv.

No one actually knows this, not even you.

Feb. 24, 2022, 5:55 p.m.

We will most certainly see another one, as for just around the corner, that’s impossible to say.

Feb. 24, 2022, 8:08 p.m.

When I talk about another one like this happening soon I’m talking about like soon enough to be driving the human population down. 

Another one is inevitable and normal, but if they start coming fast and furious enough to control our population, than you’ve found yourself on a very unpleasant part of the population curve.

Feb. 24, 2022, 8:41 p.m.

Curious to see if Novavax  becomes accepted by any decent proportion of vaccine holdouts.

Feb. 24, 2022, 9:32 p.m.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/02/24/inside-the-mind-of-a-german-anti-vaxxer/

Feb. 25, 2022, 2:36 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/02/24/inside-the-mind-of-a-german-anti-vaxxer/

The arguments are more or less the same everywhere, I guess - and yes, most anti-vaxxers talk like that, curious if their immune system can really defend the body against the virus, but....there is no point in arguing with them, at least that is my personal experience.

There are some interesting articles online about why the German speaking population in Europe is rather open to anti-vaxxing and various conspiracy theories on Covid and the so-called Great Reset, basically it has to do with various reformist pedagogic movements that started at the beginning of the last century and who had the motto of "going back to nature and ridding the "sick bodies of society" of harmful influences and technology, simply put.

Last edited by: Mic on Feb. 25, 2022, 2:40 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 25, 2022, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

various reformist pedagogic movements that started at the beginning of the last century and who had the motto of "going back to nature and ridding the "sick bodies of society" of harmful influences and technology, simply put.

Lebensreform.....I seen it on teh u-tubes

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 25, 2022, 11:09 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 27, 2022, 5:03 p.m.

Nope I don't and wasn't trying to be a sooth sayer. However, if the Shogun was a gambling man, he may bet his bottom dollar just on the facet that the world didn't go through the last two years just to be told hey it's over; no Vax or vaxxed doesn't matter.

Feb. 27, 2022, 7:24 p.m.

Posted by:. However, if the Shogun was a gambling man, he may bet his bottom dollar

Jimmy likes Elaine

Feb. 27, 2022, 7:46 p.m.

the world didn't go through the last two years just to be told hey it's over; no Vax or vaxxed doesn't matter.

We may eventually get to that point, but it will depending on how future variants pan out. Basically R0 and CFR or IFR will determine that public health orders. At this point if I were to take a wild guess I think we're probably 2-5 years away from things being like they were before covid - if we get back there at all. That's unless we blow the place up before then.

March 3, 2022, 8:39 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Can we talk about when we end this mask mandate yet?  I wear mine out of support, and its a minor inconvenience to me at worst, but I've been hearing from more and more credible sources that the current state of masking (homemade cloth masks, poorly fitted at times) is not really an effective tool at reducing spread.  Never mind the theatrics around them if you go to a restaurant and can demask at tables, but need to remask to go the bathroom.  There is no desire or plan to move everyone to a properly fitted KN95 or N95 mask, so why continue with a measure that doesn't seem to be useful?

How about now?

Anyone change their thinking in this yet?

March 3, 2022, 10:33 a.m.

Can we talk about when we end this mask mandate yet?  I wear mine out of support, and its a minor inconvenience to me at worst, but I've been hearing from more and more credible sources that the current state of masking (homemade cloth masks, poorly fitted at times) is not really an effective tool at reducing spread.  Never mind the theatrics around them if you go to a restaurant and can demask at tables, but need to remask to go the bathroom.  There is no desire or plan to move everyone to a properly fitted KN95 or N95 mask, so why continue with a measure that doesn't seem to be useful?

How about now?

I have had the same thinking all along.  I tossed my cloth masks back in 2020 and have only used the medical masks.  I would have outfitted the family with N95s but they were hard to find and expensive.  Sometimes science is just obvious and if COVID is spread in the droplets then preventing as many droplets as possible will help at least a little and certainly won't hurt.  

Studying masks is hard.  Look around at the stores and most people don't wear them properly even if they have a decent mask.  Here in Squamish a lot of people have been wearing their neck warmers which can't be too effective.

Like you I wear it more out of support and courtesy since I feel the threat is now only to people that refuse to protect themselves, but it is a minor inconvenience I really don't notice it much anymore.  It still pisses me off when I see people not wearing them in stores because I feel like it is people that just refuse to be courteous to others, not that I fear their germs.  I confronted a maskless couple in Save On the other day that ignored the store manager when he told them they had masks available.  I said the reason they should wear them is because their friends and family want them to, not because of the government demands it.  The woman argued with me, but was nice.  The dude got all in my face and then told me he had a medical condition, LOL.  I called him out and said he should own it and not hide behind BS.  Not to mention throwing his girl under the bus.  What was her excuse?    

So the day they say no masks I am on board, but it is not a hardship for me to wait a few weeks or months.  We need life to get back to the way it was and that appears to be right around the corner.

March 3, 2022, 10:46 a.m.

How about now?

I don't have the requisite education to assess the efficacy of masks. I agree that it's a minor inconvenience and as such, I'm fine with just deferring to public health expert's recommendations. 

At this point, I almost prefer wearing a mask, means I don't have to check my facial expressions in Walmart when I feel like murdering the lady blocking the tupperware isle with her cart.

March 3, 2022, 11:09 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

So the day they say no masks I am on board, but it is not a hardship for me to wait a few weeks or months. We need life to get back to the way it was and that appears to be right around the corner.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm 

https://www.epa.gov/sciencematters/epa-researchers-test-effectiveness-face-masks-disinfection-methods-against-covid-19

What is the change in conditions that you expect in a few weeks or a few months that is not here today?

I was and have been on board with masking as the conditions of Covid were as such:

• No vaccine, and little to no population immunity
  • No known effective treatments
  • A fairly high mortality rate (~2%)
  • Concern over health care facilities being overwhelmed from above factors

I see very different conditions in BC now

• Multiple vaccines available. Significant percentage of population with some amount of immunity either from vaccination or from previous infection
  • Hospitals have various forms of treatment available, and have spent two years on a crash course learning exactly how to treat Covid patients
  • Mortality rate significantly lower (have seen some data suggesting it's now less than 2X flu) - many reasons for that including variants, vaccinations, etc.
  • Health care facilities are not swamped with Covid

I just don't see the reasoning for wearing these things now. Is it spread and danger of disease? We ran a massive vaccination program for that. I go out to restaurants and sit mask free with no concern at all. I've returned to the office, and we have to put them on only to walk to the bathroom, but for hours on end can sit at our desks without them. How is going to a grocery store for a 10 minute shop more "dangerous" than that?

I'll continue to wear the stupid thing purely out of courtesy, but at this stage, in BC, with how things are right now - I think it's theater.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on March 3, 2022, 11:12 a.m., edited 2 times in total.