COVID-19

Jan. 30, 2022, 4:33 p.m.

Big problem with that respirator and (N100 masks) is the one way exhale valve. They also need to be properly fit tested to ensure their efficacy, just as you need to with an N95 or N100. Sure, it protects the wearer, but its a free flow of air with no filtering on the exhale.

Jan. 30, 2022, 4:38 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Big problem with that respirator and (N100 masks) is the one way exhale valve. They also need to be properly fit tested to ensure their efficacy, just as you need to with an N95 or N100. Sure, it protects the wearer, but its a free flow of air with no filtering on the exhale.

True, but considering the amount of poor masks and poor mask wearing technique out there I wouldn't consider the free exhale a big negative in light of the protection you get. And like you say, getting the right size is important. The big advantage imo is the mask is soft silicone so it flexes to the shape of your face to eliminate gaps common with most disposable masks. ymmv

Jan. 30, 2022, 5:11 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

True, but considering the amount of poor masks and poor mask wearing technique out there I wouldn't consider the free exhale a big negative in light of the protection you get. And like you say, getting the right size is important. The big advantage imo is the mask is soft silicone so it flexes to the shape of your face to eliminate gaps common with most disposable masks. ymmv

It also comes back to the question that will probably always be debated. Are you wearing the mask and/or getting the vaccine to protect yourself or to protect others and our healthcare system?  It can definitely be answered as 'both', but many people out there only see the self preservation side of things rather than being a positive asset to society.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Jan. 30, 2022, 5:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 30, 2022, 5:35 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

It also comes back to the question that will probably always be debated. Are you wearing the mask and/or getting the vaccine to protect yourself or to protect others and our healthcare system?  It can definitely be answered as 'both', but many people out there only see the self preservation side of things rather than being a positive asset to society.

Yeah, I see that point and figured that's what you were getting at with the previous post. My post about the mask was mainly in response to FO's post, but it brings up some interesting conversation as you've suggested. Out of curiosity I was looking at a few articles on virus emissions and considering the efficacy of masks and how those work together in public spaces. If we assumed that on average the masks people are wearing are blocking 50% of emissions, in a busier building with a high exchange of different people the viral load present in the room may be high enough anyway that the mask may not offer a lot of protection to people spending a lot of time in a particular room. This is of course guesswork and I'm not going to spend the time to look at more articles and crunch numbers to get a good estimate, but my suspicion for a while is that when taking into consideration the types of masks being used and how well they are being worn I question the efficacy of masks during prolonged potential exposure situations. It's not that they provide zero protection, but if someone is spending a fair amount of time in a smaller space with some who may be (unknowingly) infected, they may not be getting enough protection from what they are wearing. I think that's where something like the 3M 7503 that I have is really valuable.

I make a point of keeping distance from others and paying attention to foot traffic all around me when I'm out in public.  I also make a point of visiting businesses right at opening times or close to closing time to limit my contact with random people as well. So even thought I do this primarily for me, it's also helping society out at well. My greatest risk is at my job at the gym, and when people are exercising there they don't have to wear a mask. In that situation the 7503 makes total sense as I'm surrounded by people who are breathing heavier than normal and have no masks on.

Jan. 31, 2022, 6:15 a.m.

AKA: a fuck everyone but me mask

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 31, 2022, 6:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 31, 2022, 9:28 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: Fast-Orange

To me that just muddies the waters. My mask protects you from me and vice versa.

Keep it simple.

I got the vaccine for me. I wear the mask for you.

Or both people could get the vaccine and we could get on with it.

You think getting on it with it would be a semi local decision everywhere. Rhetorically, whats our vaccination rate? So we need higher than 90% to go back? I have said this several times: a lot of people didnt understand the literalness of the "new normal". Call me skeptical but I highly doubt things would just go back to the way it was if the world hit 100%. Dont take my word for it: havent other NBR user's said the vaccines arent effective at this point? Isnt Omicron supposed to flashfire the World with natural immunity? Why the push for more needles?

On the aspect of ending the pandemic. I dont think a lot of people would be happy if they just announced its over and thats it. Fast Orange isnt alone when he said he'll probably wear one when in human dense areas for the rest of his life. I think a lot of people would be hesitant (safe to guess 90%?) that its "actually over" while those lunatic 10%'er would be having parties and blowing up like the Godfather. I must be skeptical because when they say dont worry anymore, thats when that surprise left hook comes up. IOW - if they said it was over tomorrow, I'd probably keep the masks around until Summer.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on Jan. 31, 2022, 9:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 31, 2022, 11:37 p.m.

Feb. 1, 2022, 2:59 a.m.

BC sets record for most hospitalizations of Covid cases with number reaching 1048.  138 patients in ICU.

Feb. 1, 2022, 9:27 a.m.

Posted by: switch

BC sets record for most hospitalizations of Covid cases with number reaching 1048.  138 patients in ICU.

In other news truckers are having a shit fit because they can't come back from a country without being vaccinated that they couldn't go to in the first place without being vaccinated.  LOL.

Let's call this rally out for what it really is.  Right leaning truckers want everyone to know how much they hate Trudeau and that is it.  Does anyone think this rally would happen if the Conservatives were in power?    99.9% of the "freedoms" they lost were through provincial mandates but I don't see any "Fuck Ford" signs.  Watching these asshats flying Trump flags is just another sign of the times I guess.  I am not sure if any of you do much on LinkedIn but there are endless posts blowing smoke up the asses of truckers like they save babies from cancer and nobody says anything back because the people posting this shit are the only ones dumb enough to bring their politics into their business life.

Feb. 1, 2022, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

In other news truckers are having a shit fit because they can't come back from a country without being vaccinated that they couldn't go to in the first place without being vaccinated.  LOL.

Let's call this rally out for what it really is.  Right leaning truckers want everyone to know how much they hate Trudeau and that is it.  Does anyone think this rally would happen if the Conservatives were in power?    99.9% of the "freedoms" they lost were through provincial mandates but I don't see any "Fuck Ford" signs.  Watching these asshats flying Trump flags is just another sign of the times I guess.  I am not sure if any of you do much on LinkedIn but there are endless posts blowing smoke up the asses of truckers like they save babies from cancer and nobody says anything back because the people posting this shit are the only ones dumb enough to bring their politics into their business life.

You don't see a lot of pushback on social media anymore because I think people are tired of trying to reason with them. It's gotten to the point where they actually think the majority of Canadians agree with them.

Feb. 1, 2022, 11:34 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: chupacabra

You don't see a lot of pushback on social media anymore because I think people are tired of trying to reason with them. It's gotten to the point where they actually think the majority of Canadians agree with them.

That is what I see.  There is very little pushback and when there is some the rally supporters claim to have the support of the country.

Feb. 2, 2022, 3:35 p.m.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvn7gd/the-scientist-who-discovered-cannabis-can-prevent-covid-19

Feb. 2, 2022, 4:47 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvn7gd/the-scientist-who-discovered-cannabis-can-prevent-covid-19

Had covid a little over a year ago. From a guy who enjoys daily, let me tell ya that can’t be true.

Feb. 2, 2022, 5:24 p.m.

Good thing I just made a batch of infused coconut oil this afternoon :)

Feb. 2, 2022, 7:33 p.m.

That stat is relatively useless without the percentages of people with no vax, 1, 2 or 3 shots. I'd also like to see what they were actually admitted for. Was it covid or a car accident that brought them in?

In other news, the Burnaby BCIT covid test site has drastically reduced lines since the first week of Jan passed. The line would start up Carrie St, wind down Canada Way and up Willingdon by 10am usually. And that was appointment only, no drop ins. Now, I dont think it reaches Canada Way and no traffic police are needed to direct the idiot line jumpers.