COVID-19

Nov. 5, 2021, 7:25 a.m.

I don’t see how he’s much different than anyone else who’s fairly careful. Infections happen. 

New treatment option on the way, eliminated deaths entirely during its trial, nice! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pfizer-antiviral-covid19-us-pill-1.6238200

Nov. 5, 2021, 11:44 a.m.

Rogers...lol. Goof.

Nov. 5, 2021, 12:12 p.m.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-covid-19-modelling-shows-what-the-province-s-caseload-would-look-like-without-vaccines-1.5652078

"Age has always been, and continues to be, the biggest risk factor for COVID-19, the provincial health officer added.

Many of those who died from COVID-19 in B.C. in the month of October were older people who were fully vaccinated, Henry said. The modelling presentation indicated that 46 per cent of the 179 deaths during the month were among those who had received two doses of a vaccine.

Forty-nine per cent of the deaths were among unvaccinated people, and those deaths tended to be among people who were younger, on average, than those who were fully vaccinated and died, according to Henry.

An unvaccinated person is 46 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than a fully vaccinated person of the same age, and 50 times more likely to be hospitalized, Henry said."

Also the majority of news cases are in the < 12 yrs old population for those of you with kids

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 5, 2021, 12:16 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 5, 2021, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Maybe true but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. He's part of a team and if just one goes out to a nightclub, the team can have an outbreak.

Yeah, totally. And the worst part of that is the weak link might not even be someone on your own team, it could be someone from another team who just happens to be at that right stage of infection where they're spewing enough virus when you're battling in the corner for the puck. 

I'm not a data nerd at all, but I do find all the possible permutations fairly fascinating to consider.

Nov. 5, 2021, 2:36 p.m.

NHL players are still being tested at least every 72 hours. If the vaccinated public were being tested at that frequency, I expect there would be plenty of positive results.

Posted by: syncro

I'm not a data nerd at all, but I do find all the possible permutations fairly fascinating to consider.

This must be a fantastic time for those who model pandemics and crunch the numbers. So much data for them to work with in the coming years.

Nov. 5, 2021, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

NHL players are still being tested at least every 72 hours. If the vaccinated public were being tested at that frequency, I expect there would be plenty of positive results.

This must be a fantastic time for those who model pandemics and crunch the numbers. So much data for them to work with in the coming years.

Yup, that's one of the unspoken problems here in BC, that our testing rates are a bit on the low side so the positive numbers we're getting told about aren't completely accurate. That said I've always argued that the more important number to be telling people about is the positivity rate, as that give a much better indicator of how many people are getting infected.

A friend from high school is into the modelling game and one of the more esteemed members of the mtb community is all over it as well and some of the data comparisons can be really surprising. For example, Ontario has been doing a much better job over the past few months as their 7day rolling avg of cases per 100K people is less than half of ours here in BC; same for their hospitalization and ICU rates. What makes it strange is that our vaccination rates are pretty much the same, Ont may be a couple points higher. It would be good to know what they are doing differently to yield better numbers, unless it's just luck.

Nov. 6, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

Three interesting ‘case studies’.   I swear this world was better before internet news telling us everything that’s happened globally.

“Allergic” guy uses alternatives to vaccine, gets sick for a day, hopefully recovers fine.  Hope he didn't spread it to his mom.   

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/aaron-rodgers-packers-qb-covid-vaccination-1.6239835

“Denier” guy flaunts every rule and guideline and is too sick to make his court date, but judgement day comes too soon. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mak-parhar-dead-at-48-1.6238751

The (I’m assuming vaxed)  “sheeple” return to what could be normal life but their own mob crushes them.  So sad.   

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/astroworld-deaths-music-festival-houston-1.6239810

Nov. 6, 2021, 9:14 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Three interesting ‘case studies’.   I swear this world was better before internet news telling us everything that’s happened globally.

And on that note, Netflix brings us Inside Job.  Its brilliant.  

https://youtu.be/-aZBIpZY_Fw

Nov. 6, 2021, 9:33 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

“Allergic” guy uses alternatives to vaccine, gets sick for a day, hopefully recovers fine.  Hope he didn't spread it to his mom.   

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/aaron-rodgers-packers-qb-covid-vaccination-1.6239835

Trying to equate a homeopathic treatment with immunization indicates a clear lack of understanding of what immunization is.

"I believe strongly in bodily autonomy and the ability to make choices for your body, not to have to acquiesce to some woke culture or crazed group of individuals who say you have to do something," he said. "Health is not a one size fits all for everybody, and for me it involved a lot of study in the offseason."

Someone's right to bodily autonomy is something I can support, but people have to realize that means there may be some consequences to their choices. That part about "woke culture of crazed group of individuals" seems to suggest that this is about more than bodily autonomy for him. I didn't realize the vaccine science fell into the category of woke culture. What's dangerous is that if he staves off sickness, which is likely for the majority of people in his age group who get infected even if they're not vaxed, he falsely attribute his "recovery" or lack of serious illness to his homeopathic treatments and then deniers will take that as evidence that vaccines are necessary or some sort of govt conspiracy.

Nov. 6, 2021, 9:47 a.m.

kinda looks like an anti vaxer to me, or maybe just chicken

does being a pro athelete give him more cred?

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 6, 2021, 9:54 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 6, 2021, 1:25 p.m.

He took de-wormer eh?

Nov. 6, 2021, 1:42 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

He took de-wormer eh?

You do know that there is a human version of Ivermectin too right?

Nov. 6, 2021, 3:56 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

The vax passport assures me that I will likely not be infected or infected anyone else. The chances of one vaccinated person making another vaccinated person sick is very very low. As soon as you start throwing in unvaccinated people, the safety for everyone goes down. 

Based on research released in The Lancet last week, it now seems that the likelihood of vaxed individuals spreading the virus is almost as high as the unvaxed. That sucks.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00648-4/fulltext

Nov. 6, 2021, 7:27 p.m.

Edit: This is NOT the article the Jerusalem Post I linked to was discussing.

The peak viral load is similar but other characteristics, some of which affect transmission, like how fast the viral load builds and cleared, are different. The likelihood is only similar while at peak viral load, the vaccinated are sick (and therefore infectious ) for a much shorter period of time. So overall, vacced people will spread less than unvacced. To me this is an Important distinction, particularly when talking to someone questioning the value of vaccination WRT transmission.

“Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance. Nonetheless, fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts. Host–virus interactions early in infection may shape the entire viral trajectory.”

“In our cohort of densely sampled household contacts exposed to the delta variant, SAR (secondary attack rate) was 38% in unvaccinated contacts and 25% in fully vaccinated contacts.”

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 7, 2021, 7:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 6, 2021, 9 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

This is the article the Jerusalem Post I linked to was discussing. 

The peak viral load is similar but other characteristics, some of which affect transmission, like how fast the viral load builds and cleared, are different. The likelihood is only similar while at peak viral load, the vaccinated are sick (and therefore infectious ) for a much shorter period of time. So overall, vacced people will spread less than unvacced.  To me this is an  Important distinction, particularly when talking to someone questioning the value of vaccination WRT transmission.

“Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance. Nonetheless, fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts. Host–virus interactions early in infection may shape the entire viral trajectory.”

“In our cohort of densely sampled household contacts exposed to the delta variant, SAR (secondary attack rate) was 38% in unvaccinated contacts and 25% in fully vaccinated contacts.”

I agree that it's an important distinction and I've been arguing that very point to people who seem to think there is no difference or as you say feel that it's another sign the vax's are useless or a scam. The lines after the last one you quote suggest that the viral load decline among vaxed is not "much faster" than unvaxed though.

"SAR among household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was similar to household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (25% [95% CI 15–35] for vaccinated vs 23% [15–31] for unvaccinated). Fully vaccinated individuals with delta variant infection had a faster (posterior probability >0·84) mean rate of viral load decline (0·95 log10 copies per mL per day) than did unvaccinated individuals with pre-alpha (0·69), alpha (0·82), or delta (0·79) variant infections."

The other thing that seems to be changing and/or is proving to be a thorn is the VAERS data not being reported correctly  among other things and some anti-covid people are stringing that argument out to faulty places. I think that's part of what the Kyle Warner thread/story is about - getting all the info out there.  The CDC VAERS page talks about myo/pericarditis and has a link to a separate page for more info: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

The stuff I've looked at today said that most people who get pericarditis will recover fully with treatment and some don't even need any treatment at at. The POTS that Warner refers to is typically a result of medication for the pericarditis and that clears up too. So I'm not going to say he's incorrect about the ending of his career as I can't find enough details about the whole thing, but on a different web page he say it may be 12-18 before he's fully recovered. There is also the question of whether his vaccination was administered incorrectly and this may actually have been what caused the pericarditis, not necessarily the vax itself. In Warner's situation it would be a lack of aspiration (pulling back on the plunger before injecting) by the person administering the injection that potentially caused his problems. The interview Warner did with Dr. John Campbell, who's got some great vids out about covid is apparently pretty good but I haven't watched it yet. There's a couple of pages out there about the Warner story but you won't find them with google, gotta search on DuckDuckGo. Reading about his story sucks, and he's not the only person having issues which is why he's trying to be a voice in all of this.

https://thecovidworld.com/kyle-warner-professional-mountain-biker-develops-pericarditis-shortly-after-receiving-the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/
https://www.fastrope.com/pro-mountain-biker-kyle-warner-shares-his-horrific-covid-19-vaccine-injury-story/

I'm having a hard time with some of the negative views of these things and the restriction of access to info or the outright refusal of MSM to cover some of it or explore questions that go against the mainstream narrative. I get why they may not want to as it's potentially dangerous by adding fuel to the fire of the wingnut deniers. However, between the pro and con camps there is grounds to talk about these uncertainties and we should be doing it, not hiding or dismissing them. But maybe doing that qualifies as rESuRch™ according to Scnickelpuss and we wouldn't want to do that cause he might get upset or confused by the words on the screen.

Link to Warner/Campbell vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7inaTiDKaU