COVID-19

Oct. 27, 2021, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/10/coronavirus-restaurants-gyms-hotels-risk/

That's great if you live in the regions where the study was conducted. That doesn't counteract the statements by out medical officials in the place we live.

Oh, and that article is one year old. C'mon man, at least put up something that is relevant.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 27, 2021, 3:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 27, 2021, 3:44 p.m.

LOL - ok.  I guess your critical thinking extends only to your gotcha links from Facebook.  Got it.

Oct. 27, 2021, 3:49 p.m.

LOL - ok.  I guess your critical thinking extends only to your gotcha links from Facebook.  Got it.

No need to get upset at me because your link is no longer relevant. In terms of critical thinking maybe start with asking questions about what's different from the time that the research in that story was conducted and how things are now. Then after you make those comparisons we can talk about where critical thinking extends to.

I'm not the enemy here, I'm pointing out that there are flies in the ointment that need to be dealt with. Ignoring those things may very well have societal repercussions we'll have to deal with for a while.

Oct. 27, 2021, 4 p.m.

LOL - ok. I guess your critical thinking extends only to your gotcha links from Facebook. Got it.

Yep, starting to smell like confirmation bias in here.

Would now be a good time to point out that a lack of transmission at high-risk sites may just mean that our methods of prevention that we were employing were sufficient, and that in order to reduce restrictions for the unvaccinated, we have to place additional seasonal limitations on the unvaccinated to mitigate risk.

Last edited by: Schnickelfritz on Oct. 27, 2021, 4:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 27, 2021, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

LOL - ok. I guess your critical thinking extends only to your gotcha links from Facebook. Got it.

Yep, starting to smell like confirmation bias in here.

Would now be a good time to point out that a lack of transmission at high-risk sites may just mean that our methods of prevention that we were employing were sufficient, and that in order to reduce restrictions for the unvaccinated, we have to place additional seasonal limitations on the unvaccinated to mitigate risk.

Either you haven't been following the whole way or you don't understand what confirmation bias is.

Re your comment on transmission, it might have some validity if it didn't bypass the fact that these discretionary activities represent a fairly small percentage of the overall public interactions that most people experience. If the risk at these activities is as high as you suggest, then there is a far greater concern of transmission at places like grocery stores or other shopping outlets where there are no vax passport requirements.

Oct. 27, 2021, 6:08 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

It's not coercion. It's an incentive.

co·er·cion
/kōˈərZHən,kōˈərSHən/
the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.
"our problem cannot be solved by any form of coercion but only by agreement"

So what do you call forcing a business via threats of closure to follow a regulatory program that has no valid basis for requirement? That sounds like your definition of coercion.

Lots of the measures that we’ve had to do through this have not been fully valid for my specific circumstances.

As a business owner, particularly one that serves alcohol, I’m used to this from the government.

I have to comply with the rules to make money so I do it. I also happen to agree with the goal and always assumed that the passport was to both stem transmission as well as poke people towards vaccination.

So 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited by: tashi on Oct. 27, 2021, 6:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 27, 2021, 7:08 p.m.

So full capacity concerts have the green light now?? People coming in from all over the province to attend, bands and crew travelling city to city, intoxicated crowd shouting, passing drinks and joints around, pisser lines for days. It'll be a while before I'm comfortable doing anything like that!

Oct. 27, 2021, 7:12 p.m.

its cheap now days so bring yer own and smoke it

Oct. 27, 2021, 7:47 p.m.

https://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/es/politica/noticia/2021-10/facebook-elimina-video-de-bolsonaro-que-vincula-vacunas-con-sida

Oct. 27, 2021, 8:12 p.m.

Is that the spanish version ?

Oct. 27, 2021, 8:44 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

So what do you call forcing a business via threats of closure to follow a regulatory program that has no valid basis for requirement? That sounds like your definition of coercion.

Businesses are all threatened with closure for failure to follow a regulatory program, that's precisely what business licenses are, isn't it? I mean, where I live, your business license will be revoked if you have adult dancers present more than 3 days per week, seems like that doesn't really have a valid basis LOL

That's true but the premise for the vax passport is not based on what they are claiming.

The vax passport assures me that I will likely not be infected or infected anyone else. The chances of one vaccinated person making another vaccinated person sick is very very low. As soon as you start throwing in unvaccinated people, the safety for everyone goes down. 

Do you have an issue with the government enforcing health guidelines in restaurants before this? Seems like everyone was all pretty on board with making sure things were cleaned and food was prepared properly. Are you ok with the government protecting you from getting hepatitis from restaurants by making people wash their hands? 

Well, if I went to a restaurant and got a bad case of covid, I'd be pretty pissed if the government said that was OK. How would you feel if your father's cancer surgery was canceled because there were no beds in the hospital or the or was taken over to make a second icu. This stuff is or is going to happen. The government has to make some hard decisions about how to protect the public (sometimes from themselves). Mandatory vaccines are not new. Did you go to public school? Guess what, you needed mandatory vaccinations.

Oct. 27, 2021, 11:38 p.m.

Give me de-wormer or give me death!

https://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/helena-hospital-says-doctors-threatened-by-public-officials-over-ivermectin-request/article_b8333fe9-b0bd-5995-8412-10d3ce7ab867.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Oct. 28, 2021, 5:56 a.m.

What's the best way to tell old people that not everything they hear or see on the internet is true?

My mom keeps sending me all this covid Vax bullshit with claims that we won't have any immune system in 5 years and that 16000 people in Europe are dead from the vaccine. 

Clearly it's all bullshit but she's absolutely convinced, I keep telling her this is the new worlds propaganda now and she's just like ahh I grew up in East Germany I know what propaganda is.  Ok, maybe 40 years ago but it's a while new ball game now mom..sigh.

Oct. 28, 2021, 6:40 a.m.

Since my parents regard themselves as intelligent I call them stupid and laugh at them and tell them to check their sources when they do this shit.  As intelligent formerly radical liberals they hate being called gullible wealthy old conservatives. Seems to work. Since your mum thinks she can spot propaganda, maybe you can make fun of her for falling for it. In some cases it’s possibly being generated by the same organization that propagandized her in East Germany!

I’ve also been telling them (and others) for a couple years that they need to get off of Facebook because it’s obviously toxic and designed that way. I was having some progress until COVID trapped my mum in the house.  Hopefully more folks move away in light of the recent whistleblowers claims.

Oct. 28, 2021, 7:03 a.m.

In April of this year restaurants and gyms were high transmission sites. Not a stretch to imagine that they’d be where the unvaccinated transmit this fall.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7761278/covid-workplace-cluster-sites-restaurants-gyms/amp/

Aquired immunity is not more robust than vaccinated immunity, and it comes with the downside that it also requires infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0806-vaccination-protection.html

Edit: a timely article from the Mother Corp: 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/natural-immunity-covid-19-vaccination-1.6223784

Viral load is similar between the vaxxed  and unvaxxed but that’s not all that’s involved in transmission.

“Our study does not provide information on infectiousness,” Michelmore said. “Transmission will be influenced by several factors, not just vaccination status and viral load.”

https://www.ucdavis.edu/health/covid-19/news/viral-loads-similar-between-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-people

Regarding the waning effectiveness of the vaccine, well, duh. Almost every vaccine we’ve ever used is this way and somehow they’ve been effective. Luckily mRNA vaccines are much faster to adapt so our boosters should be more effective against emerging variants. Waning effectiveness is a reason to vaccinate MORE of the population, not less.

Last edited by: tashi on Oct. 28, 2021, 9:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.