COVID-19

Aug. 24, 2021, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Quel grande surprise!!

Nobody could've seen that coming ....

I mean ... other than the thousands of doctors, nurses and epidemiology experts who said "this is coming", who could've seen it coming?

Aug. 24, 2021, 11:47 a.m.

I have been expecting loss of privileges for the unvaxed right from the beginning and its here !

the thing is that delta has changed it up

I know people that are OK buying drugs from sketchy criminals but they won't do a vax

Aug. 24, 2021, 12:06 p.m.

And still the brain dead anti-vaxxers are as vocal as ever.

I propose we pass a law that says it’s legal to shoot them with paint ball guns.

Aug. 24, 2021, 1:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Masks mandatory in BC again.  I never understand why we get off the gas pedal every time with these things.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8136927/mandatory-masks-public-indoors-mandate-bc/

Yup - we made that mistake a year ago when numbers were close to zero and we've done it again. Of course the difference this year is the vaccines and the high number of people that are vaccinated.

The one thing that continues to bother me is how the numbers are being reported. I think simply reporting number of cases is pointless - it's like saying a tree is 50m tall - well which tree.
Besides the number of positive tests we should know a whole host of other info and it should be broken down by region or more importantly population centres. We should know:

- variant
- number of people tested
- positivity rate
- had positives previously tested positive and if so were they sick or asymptomatic
- had positives been vaccinated, 1st does or both doses
- age of people testing positive

Simply saying that 500 people tested positive tells us nothing about what is actually happening with the spread of the virus.

Some of these answers are available on the BC CDC website. 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

-variant: It has been reported (two weeks ago) that 95% of positive cases are now delta

-number of test: Reported on the CDC Covid-19 dashboard

-positivity: Reported on the CDC Covid-19 dashboard

- had positives previously tested positive and if so were they sick or asymptomatic: This would be a tough one to communicate effectively, and would take a lot of data coalition

-had positives been vaccinated, 1st does or both doses: The last data I  saw (sorry cant find the source) had ~90% positives unvaccinated, ~6% positives first one dose, ~4% positives two doses.

-age of people testing positive: Most recent data on this is that 20-40 year olds make up the biggest proportion of positive cases currently

It would be nice if this was all in one place I agree, but it is quite easy to find the information you are looking for.

Aug. 24, 2021, 2:22 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Some of these answers are available on the BC CDC website. 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded

-variant: It has been reported (two weeks ago) that 95% of positive cases are now delta

-number of test: Reported on the CDC Covid-19 dashboard

-positivity: Reported on the CDC Covid-19 dashboard

- had positives previously tested positive and if so were they sick or asymptomatic: This would be a tough one to communicate effectively, and would take a lot of data coalition

-had positives been vaccinated, 1st does or both doses: The last data I  saw (sorry cant find the source) had ~90% positives unvaccinated, ~6% positives first one dose, ~4% positives two doses.

-age of people testing positive: Most recent data on this is that 20-40 year olds make up the biggest proportion of positive cases currently

It would be nice if this was all in one place I agree, but it is quite easy to find the information you are looking for.

Awesome - thanks for that. I figured it was available at the BCCDC but I was referring to the way the info is being relayed to the public via Dr Henry's press briefings. I think pushing that info to the public will really help people to see what's going on and who are the people at risk and spreading the virus. Re the previously positive point, I agree that stating if they had been sick or not would be tough to sort, but it should be easy to show if a person had previously tested positive.

I think the big thing that needs to be pushed is that the unvaccinated are the ones now driving the bus off the cliff. This is why I'm ok with these new restrictions placed on people who are unvaccinated and not participating in getting rid of covid. Personal freedoms are one thing, but there is also the idea of the social contract and if people are not willing to do the things that benefit society at large then they forgo the freedom to participate in society.

I've been talking with someone who still has concerns about the long term side effects of the vaccine and this is why they haven't gotten it yet. Of course they get most of their info from alternate sources and don't trust the MSM - which has some validity with certain outlets in the US. They feel that the MSM is suppressing/hiding the "other side" of the story. I've tried to explain to him how some of his concerns aren't valid, or how the sources/documents he's using are flawed. A big thing has been his belief that there are other therapies besides the vaccine that are effective - Ivermectin in particular. But when I explain to him the flaws in the notable Ivermectin study he ignores it. It's now a psychological fight against people who don't trust the government or MSM. He, and others like him cling to the few doctors/scientists that are concerned with the vaccine over the majority that support it. However, I can see why he has doubts and we also have to respect people's autonomy over their own bodies. So I'm ok with the idea of a vaccine card and restrictions that come with it, but the idea of forced or mandated vaccinations in most situations is something that doesn't sit well with me. One area where I'd draw an exception is health care - everyone who works in health care should be vaccinated (unless they have a valid medical reason) and if they don't want to then they should be taking a leave from work until this is all over.

Aug. 24, 2021, 3:01 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I think pushing that info to the public will really help people to see what's going on and who are the people at risk and spreading the virus.

If I've learned anything in the last 18 months, it's that the public is adept at understanding statistics and risk.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Aug. 24, 2021, 3:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 24, 2021, 3:03 p.m.

is or isn't?

Aug. 24, 2021, 3:04 p.m.

we need those sarcasm tags back.

Aug. 24, 2021, 3:10 p.m.

;)

Aug. 24, 2021, 3:10 p.m.

Aug. 24, 2021, 3:25 p.m.

^^ LOL - Truth!

Aug. 24, 2021, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

In case anyone would like to “realize the difference” between mRNA vaccines and Gene Therapy. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210719/covid-19-vaccines-not-gene-therapy

If only I had an old paper back dictionary that (might've) shown the definition of a vaccine as a means to stop and prevent transmission of a virus, instead of just lessening the symptoms (of certain strains), which is otherwise known as a therapeutic. The sars2 vax might use a similar delivery method but I'm just splitting hairs I dont have.

Aug. 24, 2021, 9:50 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

Posted by: tungsten

Then you'll love this...

https://www.ky3.com/2021/08/20/poison-control-calls-spike-people-take-livestock-dewormer-treat-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR0ClPp4kcW4fYNE_7UXg9OvVoa-BnaJXyG45dlBojQVFGbwcJjLpsPLIpM

What baffles me is these folks will believe their "alternative facts" without question. They are guilty of the exact method of thinking they criticize. There's another forum I read, US based and mostly far right folks. I'd be surprised if more than 10% are vaccinated. I'm not sure what they need livestock anti-viral or arthritis meds for when they claim it's all a big hoax.

Perhaps I can clarify some of it. Most people dont believe sars2 is a hoax; just the shot. As for Ivermectin, you can find your own results. But I told people in the echo chamber if you're taking a horse dewormer, you should hope you have a renal system the size of a horse b/c binding agents and all that might be a different right? Right.

Aug. 24, 2021, 9:52 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Say farewell to restaurants/sporting events/concerts for the anti-science crowd…

https://globalnews.ca/news/8133780/bc-proof-vaccination-program/

It'll be interesting to see if those events go off hassle free or become super spreading events for the vaxxed.

Aug. 24, 2021, 9:53 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

He also is convinced covid is a man made pathogen.

Counterpunch hasnt covered that angle yet...?

;)