COVID-19

Aug. 9, 2021, 4:47 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: FLATCH

First would be tungsten’s point. Prevalent is not the same as overwhelming as is happening in many southern states again. Secondly, there is no real way to tell if someone has been vaccinated. And has our resident whack job would tell you, testing is not foolproof. Also why aren’t the yanks letting us in?

I’d like to see the numbers on breakout infections in vaccinated people with Delta. My reading is that it’s very small. So if we have a strong vaccination program, this is low risk imho.

There are vaccination records. People will have to provide that evidence. Do you have data on testing error rates?

All of these things combined still seem to me to be of low risk.

I think my feeling on this is that the point of getting vaccinated, and of having a strong vaccination program is that we start to re-open and get back to “normal”

Would there be a way to forge vax records?  Vaccinated or not you can still carry and spread it, that’s proven. And have you seen how hard Delta is starting to hit children too young to be vaxxed? I’m not going to get into a pissing match about this but I just think it’s too early. It should be baby steps. You touched almost all the bases but you never touched on why the yanks borders are still closed to us.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Aug. 9, 2021, 4:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 9, 2021, 9:48 a.m.

Would there be a way to forge vax records?  Vaccinated or not you can still carry and spread it, that’s proven. And have you seen how hard Delta is starting to hit children too young to be vaxxed? I’m not going to get into a pissing match about this but I just think it’s too early. It should be baby steps. You touched almost all the bases but you never touched on why the yanks borders are still closed to us.

I don't know why the yanks aren't opening up at this moment, not sure that it's important from a risk point of view.

What baby steps would you take prior to opening the borders to Vaccinated people?

Aug. 9, 2021, 2:27 p.m.

You touched almost all the bases but you never touched on why the yanks borders are still closed to us.

Because we're their bitch. Or the owning classes here are whores. Take your pick, either works.

Aug. 9, 2021, 3:51 p.m.

Two Canadians were fined $15,000 each for having and using forged vaxxed cards if im not mistaken.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked the serfer: are all countries sequencing the lab results to find the new variant bc as shoreboy said, since there's no genetic family, the regular soon to be retired sars2 pcr test won't pick up the delta on a test. ...

Sleep in fear kids.

Aug. 9, 2021, 7:30 p.m.

Aug. 10, 2021, 1:26 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Would there be a way to forge vax records? Vaccinated or not you can still carry and spread it, that’s proven. And have you seen how hard Delta is starting to hit children too young to be vaxxed? I’m not going to get into a pissing match about this but I just think it’s too early. It should be baby steps. You touched almost all the bases but you never touched on why the yanks borders are still closed to us.

Two Canadians were fined $15,000 each for having and using forged vaxxed cards if im not mistaken.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked the serfer: are all countries sequencing the lab results to find the new variant bc as shoreboy said, since there's no genetic family, the regular soon to be retired sars2 pcr test won't pick up the delta on a test. ...

Sleep in fear kids.

If you could point out to me where I said that the current PCR test doesn't pick up the Delta variant, that would be great. I never said that. Your reading comprehension seems to be what causes the root of many of these arguments.

The current PCR test picks up all forms of the Covid-19 variant. It is the sequencing that determines which specific variant is present AFTER the PCR test shows a positive result. The PCR test is directed at a conserved region of the genome (ie a region that does not undergo mutation), so it will identify the presence of any Covid-19 variant but the PCR test does not distinguish between the different Covid-19 variants. That is what the sequencing step accomplishes.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Aug. 10, 2021, 1:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 11, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

The PCR test seems to be at the core of a lot of COVID conspiracy theories.  There are a lot of people that believe it just doesn't work, or that it can't distinguish between COVID and the flu but the entire world just kept using it anyway.  Since not many people know how the test works (including myself) it is ideal for disinformation.

Aug. 11, 2021, 10:51 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

The PCR test seems to be at the core of a lot of COVID conspiracy theories.  There are a lot of people that believe it just doesn't work, or that it can't distinguish between COVID and the flu but the entire world just kept using it anyway.  Since not many people know how the test works (including myself) it is ideal for disinformation.

Here is a pretty good explainer that doesnt require a biochemistry background.  To be clear, the test used for COVID-19 is RT-PCR, and not just a simple PCR reaction. This is also explained in this short article.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/how-is-the-covid-19-virus-detected-using-real-time-rt-pcr

Aug. 11, 2021, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Here is a pretty good explainer that doesnt require a biochemistry background.  To be clear, the test used for COVID-19 is RT-PCR, and not just a simple PCR reaction. This is also explained in this short article.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/how-is-the-covid-19-virus-detected-using-real-time-rt-pcr

Is there a tweet I can read instead?

Aug. 11, 2021, 11:21 a.m.

Sadly, that is quite a true statement it seems. If its not on a social media platform, people seem unable to read and interpret any other type of content :)

Aug. 11, 2021, 2:22 p.m.

Sadly, that is quite a true statement it seems. If its not on a social media platform, people seem unable to read and interpret any other type of content :)

lol - yeah it seems that anything that can't be read in a few seconds and doesn't align with their beliefs gets ignored no matter what the source or how important the info may be. Hence why I love that cartoon I posted.

Someone gave me an article from "NaturalNews" a few days ago with the claim that "covid deaths are exploding in the most vaccinated country in the world" - Israel. The "sources" for the "article" were all twitter posts, and a link to one of their own articles. While it's true that cases are on the rise, the data available doesn't support the claims made by the website. And of course if you dig into the tweets the source info is all in Hebrew so who knows if what the article claims is actually reflected in their "sources" or even if they've validated any of it at all. The best part was the twit who was all upset was giving me grief about not having any critical thinking skills while using an alt-news website of questionable quality and calling it proof. Shockingly the person has a uni degree and claims they've studied CRISPR at a fourth year uni level. Maybe they meant they've studied how the vegetable crisper works in the refrigerator.

Aug. 15, 2021, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Finally something I can work with ;)

Aug. 15, 2021, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Would there be a way to forge vax records? Vaccinated or not you can still carry and spread it, that’s proven. And have you seen how hard Delta is starting to hit children too young to be vaxxed? I’m not going to get into a pissing match about this but I just think it’s too early. It should be baby steps. You touched almost all the bases but you never touched on why the yanks borders are still closed to us.

Sleep in fear kids.

If you could point out to me where I said that the current PCR test doesn't pick up the Delta variant, that would be great. I never said that. Your reading comprehension seems to be what causes the root of many of these arguments.

The current PCR test picks up all forms of the Covid-19 variant. It is the sequencing that determines which specific variant is present AFTER the PCR test shows a positive result. The PCR test is directed at a conserved region of the genome (ie a region that does not undergo mutation), so it will identify the presence of any Covid-19 variant but the PCR test does not distinguish between the different Covid-19 variants. That is what the sequencing step accomplishes.

I believe you mis-read that. I didnt say you said that at all. I was alluding to one or two now missing posts just before my haitus where you claimed that there was no such thing as a family of virus's. I didnt get a chance to reply to that but there is evidence in the search index to two posts from April 29 which are now MIA.

Aug. 15, 2021, 12:38 p.m.

How many you want  ;)

Aug. 15, 2021, 12:46 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcusI didnt get a chance to reply to that but there is evidence in the search index to two posts from April 29 which are now MIA.

lol - check the dates.

your search image shows posts from the year 2020 and your image of the thread shows posts from 2021.

Optometrist here I come shiiiiit.

lol. I did check that like Santa's list too.