Would you have left Hawaii by now?

Would you have left Hawaii by now?

Yea like yesterday!
28.6%
Nah it wont be that bad.
71.4%
Total votes: 7
May 20, 2018, 2:23 p.m.

Well what would you do? There's lava spewing out of the ground in multiple locations and while it may be quite the experience, fight or flight? One highway escape route was just cut off by lave flow.

short CBC clip on the Hawaii

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

May 20, 2018, 6:05 p.m.

I'm here. It's not a problem.

May 20, 2018, 9:31 p.m.

Depends on what side of the island you live on. Crater faces one way.

May 21, 2018, 12:07 a.m.

Nothing like the smell of sulphuric acid and volcanic ash in the morning.

May 21, 2018, 7 a.m.

It smells like....victory.

Thread killer

May 21, 2018, 7:35 a.m.

If you’re going to be the first one to hit the new lava trails after they cool off and harden, you need to be there to ride them.

The new lines they’ll have are endless!

In all seriousness, if that nonesense was happening here or close to here and I felt there was a risk to the family, we’d visit family out east for a bit. The probable with their situation is that it seems okay, until it’s not. They’re determining evacuations based upon how many escape routes are left right now not necessarily how close or threatening the lava is.

Last edited by: Ddean on May 21, 2018, 7:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 21, 2018, 9:22 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

It smells like....victory.

Yah I'd belly right up to that beast, laugh and dance around dodging the splatter.

May 22, 2018, 12:33 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Well what would you do? There's lava spewing out of the ground in multiple locations and while it may be quite the experience, fight or flight? One highway escape route was just cut off by lave flow.

The struggle was real for that reporter to pronounce lava as "law-va" like an American. She almost made it all the way through. ☺️

Didn't realize just how bananas the international media has been going over the eruption.

CBC did better than Fox "News", they reported there are evacuations on the island of Oahu due to the eruption on the Big Island (200 miles away across water). 

It's a contrast to the locals in Hawaii who's general concern is the very real problem of vog (volcanic smog). To be clear the neighborhood of Lanipua Gardens, population 300, is under threat of lava. The city of Honolulu, population 1,000,000, and the rest of Hawaii, including towns *right* next to the flows, are as safe from the lava as Vancouver is.

And "escaping" the lava would involve a short leisurely stroll. It's a tragedy that people are losing their homes, but really those few that moved way out into the boondocks of Lanipua for cheap property knew this was an eventuality.

Last edited by: Hepcat on May 22, 2018, 2:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 22, 2018, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

If I may ask, which island?

May 22, 2018, 2:08 p.m.

The struggle was real for that reporter to pronounce lava as "law-va" like an American. She almost made it. 

Didn't realize how bananas the international media has been going over the eruption.

CBC did better than Fox "News", they reported there are evacuations on the island of Oahu due to the eruption on the Big Island (200 miles away across water). 😆

It's a contrast to the locals in Hawaii who's concern is possible vog (volcanic smog). To be clear the neighborhood of Lanipua Gardens, population 300, is under threat of lava. The city of Honolulu, population 1,000,000, and the rest of Hawaii, including towns *right* next to the flows, are as safe from the lava as Vancouver is.

And "escaping" the lava would involve a short leisurely stroll. It's a tragedy that people  are losing their homes, but really those few that moved way out into the boondocks of Lanipua for cheap property knew this was inevitable.

I see you're close with Pele ;)

May 22, 2018, 4:02 p.m.

Anyone else read that they filled the wells with water at the PVG plant? Isnt that a waiting steam bomb ?

May 23, 2018, 1:16 a.m.

Some guy that was hanging around to put out fires on his and the neighbor's homes gets hit in the leg by a lava bomb.  Broken leg that fortunately didn't bleed because the lava cauterized the wound.  I would imagine that he felt that.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 23, 2018, 8:31 a.m.

The Big Island is huge.  I haven't really been following this too closely but the area in danger is probably the same area that was mowed down in the 80's on the east side of the Island.

May 24, 2018, 9:28 a.m.

May 24, 2018, 10:11 a.m.

If I may ask, which island?

Currently on Big Island for work,  live on Oahu.

Vog is soupy out there today.

Haha, Chup's graphic has nailed it