Worlds Perception of Vancouver.

June 16, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

we ARE animals but we have minds ,we have the ability to choose ,we have a civilization and in that civilization we have norms that people are expected to uphold and everyone knows them … is more security going to make us more better behaved / more civilized ?

No. Quite the opposite actually. Our current ideas about what security is leave us radically insecure. We also are subject to a constant bombardment of sensational images that underplay the "choice" side of things, at the expense of things actually improving. Civilized behaviour is fostered through learning how to live in the absence of "perfect security."

June 16, 2011, 1:07 p.m.

Heard on CBC that Simons bike store survived unscathed after his experiance with the last riot he boarded up the place and spent the night inside with 4 security guards

June 16, 2011, 1:08 p.m.

Your city had a riot mate! A riot in a large civilized city in the west… Thats rare no matter where your from but these things happen!

Normally however they happen when people are protesting politics, or human rights! It is pretty bad to have 2 in 41 years…. because of hockey!

The fact it happened in the downtown is even worse! Thats the center of your city, its not even like this was a small riot that left a pub/bar and escalated, This was a full blown street war for several hours in a city we plan to move to!

Don't take this lightly… Its a big thing and it will reflect badly worldwide!

Edit: and its up on the BBC News website! This is now officially global news about… a Riot… In Vancouver!

Don't come here then you hypocrite.

Wrong. Always.

June 16, 2011, 1:22 p.m.

After reading some of the stuff from the UK. I think the riot has done more to us then just being ashamed.

People in Vancouver call it the greatest place to live. The general view is this stuff never happens in Vancouver. It happens to Montereal, Toronto, Paris France, Greece, LA, and other places. People in Vancouver will look at G20 protests and say that will never get that bad here. This bursts this perception.

Just like we like to say that we are better then this. That it happens in places like the US where we all comment on endlessly. And events like this remind Vancouver and Canada that they are as vulnerable as any where else to this behaviour.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 16, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

For me vancover lost its shine some time ago and I always encourage people to get out and find a cheaper/easier life somewhere else but in any case I think unfortunatley … its just the human condition

June 16, 2011, 1:44 p.m.

What annoys men is that the "good citizens" of Vancouver are tolerant of this type of behaviour. Let it happen, then go clean up the mess afterwards. Hold no one accountable. In other words, just bury our heads until it passes.

But we can take pride in being a fair and just society…

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 16, 2011, 5:10 p.m.

For me vancover lost its shine some time ago and I always encourage people to get out and find a cheaper/easier life somewhere else but in any case I think unfortunatley … its just the human condition

careful, blunt boy's gonna come tell you off now.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2536021[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=3362

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 8, 2011, 3:14 p.m.

Your city had a riot mate! A riot in a large civilized city in the west… Thats rare no matter where your from but these things happen!

Normally however they happen when people are protesting politics, or human rights! It is pretty bad to have 2 in 41 years…. because of hockey!

The fact it happened in the downtown is even worse! Thats the center of your city, its not even like this was a small riot that left a pub/bar and escalated, This was a full blown street war for several hours in a city we plan to move to!

Don't take this lightly… Its a big thing and it will reflect badly worldwide!

Edit: and its up on the BBC News website! This is now officially global news about… a Riot… In Vancouver!

Hahahaha. Hope you're enjoying the London riots! Man, I was thinking about moving to the UK, but not anymore. Uncivilized sods!

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 8, 2011, 3:18 p.m.

:lol:

Aug. 8, 2011, 3:20 p.m.

they're putting on a riot clinic…3 nights in a row and spreading to other towns!

Aug. 8, 2011, 3:21 p.m.

Almost makes the Vancouver riot look a bit amateur. I was also thinking that while rioting about a hockey game seemed so ridiculous at the time, life's not that bad if that's the worst thing we have to riot about.

Aug. 8, 2011, 3:42 p.m.

Almost makes the Vancouver riot look a bit amateur. I was also thinking that while rioting about a hockey game seemed so ridiculous at the time, life's not that bad if that's the worst thing we have to riot about.

Well, anyway you look at it, hatchleader has been served. Good riddance, ya Mr Bean loving git!
:uk:

ps. I'm of English descent so I have the right to say these things. ;)

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 8, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

VSS

Vancouver Still Sucks

Aug. 8, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

No kidding… nowhere to ride or ski…

Aug. 8, 2011, 7:18 p.m.

What's great about England is that Europe is really close.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells