Work/Life Balance Careers

May 12, 2013, 7:17 p.m.

True story: An expecting first-time father asked one of our former editors, a parent, if having kids was the best thing in his life. The former editor lunged at him, threw the surprised questioner against a wall and snarled, “No! Look, I love my kids, but heli skiing is the best thing in the world.”

I know a jaded heli guide who is taking a year off in an effort to have a more balanced life … depends on yer POV I guess

sometimes doing what you love for a living can kill the love.

just look at all the angry people in the biking industry….lol.

May 12, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

I know a jaded heli guide who is taking a year off in an effort to have a more balanced life … depends on yer POV I guess

sometimes doing what you love for a living can kill the love.

just look at all the angry people in the biking industry….lol.

I've often wondered how I'd feel putting on the gear daily

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 12, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

I think it can go either way.

May 12, 2013, 8:49 p.m.

dealing with the clients/customers in the bike/ski industry is bound to make you jaded. i'd say is the skiing or biking that is their passion, prob not dealing with clients. true passion anyway. the secret would be to have a creative passion that pays. its just not that easy. artists may have ebs and flows where they are more/less productive but generally is something they do a long time whether or not its huge compensation. dream jobs really. or the piste artists we know of, the Wades , Matt Hunters, and Glen Plakes of the world. no competition, just persue your passion. I guess age at some point catches up but the Frank Gehry's of the world never stop. passion and $'s. unless I discover some hidden talent i'll just keep buying loto tickets and working as little as I can

May 12, 2013, 11:12 p.m.

^Rep the cat above.

I like riding and snow sliding, but I can't deal (interact with people) and from my observations I don't feel like Im missing too much either.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 13, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

I've often wondered how I'd feel putting on the gear daily

well as a soul skier I always put my pants on … one leg after the other

May 13, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

It kills the love. Balance is key.

viperfunk.com

May 13, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

elementary/highschool teacher. Find a second job during summer season.

May 13, 2013, 3:10 p.m.

I know a lawyer who lives a life that's barely a notch down from pro skier/biker. COuld take a little while to get there though.

I hear this lawyer is looking for protege's.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 13, 2013, 4:12 p.m.

Hmmm, I am a little surprised there wasn't a more varied response as far as different careers. It seems like I will have to continue counting pennies and try to find a job close to home when the time comes.

The teaching thing does have me interested but it would be at a trades school. I know it is more of a retirement job but it has appealed to me. Passing on knowledge is really to most entertaining thing of my career at this time.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

May 13, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Any shift work, works. A friend work at the Scott Paper Pulp plant in New West…or what ever it's called now. He works a four on/four off schedule. Another friend drives truck, during the summer he has the option of working seven on/seven off. While shift work does allow you to have 4 days off in a row, it does also beat the shit out of you with the constant changes from days to nights.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 13, 2013, 4:32 p.m.

my career (GIS Analyst/Developer) is a little limited in scope, but I've found for a regular joe like me, it's not so much the career, but the company I work for that determines the work/like balance. Like I went from a 40hour/week corporate job to a 35 hour/week job at a college that I can set my own hours, work remotely, take lots of time off. Stuff like that happens at a lot of places, like I'm pretty sure (some) government positions at the MoF and MoT have capped hours per week, so it's possible to run your 35 hours out early in the week. At least that is what my friend does.

May 13, 2013, 5:33 p.m.

Any shift work, works. While shift work does allow you to have 4 days off in a row, it does also beat the shit out of you with the constant changes from days to nights.

There were 2 of us in an office each alternating a 4 day weekend every other weekend and working thru the next weekend so 12 days straight and 2 of those days you would be alone while the other guy was off, it could beat you up and you make more mistakes when you are tired but IME I ran out of things to do in 4 days off and my friends were not on that schedule …I like regular weeks even if I had to be on call

May 13, 2013, 6:57 p.m.

It kills the love. Balance is key.

I've played golf since I was 6. I used to be a pro and teach. Working in the shop for 8-10 hours a day plus 6 hours a day teaching for a shit wage 6 days a week sucked hard. I burned out from it so bad to the point I haven't really played more than a couple rounds a year for the pat few years.

Same with being a bike mech. Dealing with people and being around bikes was brutal. I completely lost my stoke to ride and I still haven't really got it back and this was like almost 7 years ago. I started to associate negativity with biking and it was over from there.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 13, 2013, 7:22 p.m.

I think the key is just living within your means, and prioritizing fun vs work. The past 5-6 years Ive worked seasonally, Apr-Oct type of thing doing mineral exploration (geology) and then ski bumming/travelling/living in the winter. I can make enough money in 6 months to easily live the winter. Part of that though is i live in the koots where a house doesnt cost a million dollars.

Choices though, all of my shit is reasonably priced and bought with real money,no payments on cars, tvs, fucking fridges, quads, whatever. Instead of going out and buying that new SUV that you totally need to drive to work and back, why not buy something thats like 5 yrs old, is still awesome, and most importantly, doesnt make you a slave to your job. I see so many people, even in my position, who try and make up for lack of free time by buying new/fancy/ridiculous things, and then as a result have to work even more to keep up with payments. Buy something cheaper, then you can afford to work less.

I love/hate people who say their job is their life, and that they are bored with time off. I wish that I could think like that, but ultimately, although i love my job, its nowhere near as sweet as having fun.

Theres so much more to life that work. Society should have gotten to the point that we are working less, not more.

THat being said, this year I signed a fulltime contract, and although Im not loving it, its nice to imagine that i can save enough money to pay off the mortgage a bit sooner, and then when im older, live super cheap.