Work/Life Balance Careers

May 10, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

my job is my life

May 12, 2013, 7:46 a.m.

Figure out how little you can live off of. Earn that with a job that pays high $$ per hour. Play the rest of the time.

this is the key.

I do 3-4 month contracts every year making $40-60/hr and bust my ass during that time. Figure it's the same as working 6 months at half that wage, which is enough for me to live on comfortably so I simply work 3 months then take the next couple off.

Spend less than you make, don't go into debt for stupid things and it all seems to work out pretty well. Oh, and avoid women with "money problems".

May 12, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

Im surprised nobody has said this, but if you want lots of time to play…dont have kids. You cant get home at 520 and be on the trails at 540…thats for sure.

May 12, 2013, 12:22 p.m.

Im surprised nobody has said this, but if you want lots of time to play…dont have kids. You cant get home at 520 and be on the trails at 540…thats for sure.

Don't get married either.

May 12, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

i am busy but I like what i do for work. frankly I feel that playing and having a bunch of free time is pretty one dimensional. Thats just me though. I'm not saying everyone has to agree.

May 12, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

i am busy but I like what i do for work. frankly I feel that playing and having a bunch of free time is pretty one dimensional. Thats just me though. I'm not saying everyone has to agree.

and I'm not sure many will. lol.

I used to think that work added some balance to life but as I get older I tend to think about that less and less.

reality is I don't know when things might end or change so spending more time doing the things I love and spending time with love ones trumps work hands down.

I see people waiting for some magical time in the future where they will enjoy the riches they may have amassed over the years only to run into health problems or even worse die.

I highly doubt on my death bed I will wish I would have worked more or managed to get more chores done….but hey that's just me.

May 12, 2013, 2:40 p.m.

I generally like what I do for work but would much rather be riding bikes. See my earlier comment about kids.

Dont get me wrong…I love being a dad and wouldn't change it for the world. But its something to think about if you're not there yet.

May 12, 2013, 2:44 p.m.

Jaded Local

True story: An expecting first-time father asked one of our former editors, a parent, if having kids was the best thing in his life. The former editor lunged at him, threw the surprised questioner against a wall and snarled, “No! Look, I love my kids, but heli skiing is the best thing in the world.”

:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 12, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

Don't get married either.

If I didn't get married, then who would I ride the lift up with at WBP? Who would take my picture when I do something rad? Who would want to watch shitty lives with me when I have downtime?

All this plus I get sandwiches and sexes for free.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 12, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

All this plus I get sandwiches and sexes for free.

Nothing is ever free. Especially sandwiches and sex. You ALWAYS pay for it somehow. lol.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 12, 2013, 3:18 p.m.

I highly doubt on my death bed I will wish I would have worked more or managed to get more chores done….but hey that's just me.

I liked your quote "if you have a dime left in your bank account when you die, you've lost"

May 12, 2013, 3:35 p.m.

There was an interesting book written called "How to die broke." Although it sounds like a joke, it actually discussed legitimate ways of transferring assets, avoiding taxes, enjoying your money as well as some legal but morally debatable ways of screwing the system.

May 12, 2013, 3:54 p.m.

…legitimate ways of transferring assets, avoiding taxes, enjoying your money as well as some legal but morally debatable ways of screwing the system.

The Paris Hilton's of the world enjoy those benefits immensely.

May 12, 2013, 5:30 p.m.

friend posted this today. I like it

May 12, 2013, 6:53 p.m.

True story: An expecting first-time father asked one of our former editors, a parent, if having kids was the best thing in his life. The former editor lunged at him, threw the surprised questioner against a wall and snarled, “No! Look, I love my kids, but heli skiing is the best thing in the world.”

I know a jaded heli guide who is taking a year off in an effort to have a more balanced life … depends on yer POV I guess