Work/Life Balance Careers

May 9, 2013, 6:43 p.m.

A couple posters in the "Early Retirement Thread: Age [HTML_REMOVED] Activity related!" got me thinking.

What are some good career options that allow time to play and enough money to get out and play?

I know a lot of it comes down to smart money management but some careers seem to be more flexible than others.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

May 9, 2013, 7:01 p.m.

Cop or firefighter. Massive time off, early retirement, ridiculous pension.

Not huge money, but not bad, and so secure that you needn't worry much.

May 9, 2013, 7:23 p.m.

Corporate Sales / Account Management

Then again my wife has a 9-5er and if you stick to your 40hrs a week and work for a company that offers a few weeks holidays each year then it can be easy to maintain balance. Just don't have kids.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 9, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

Are you looking for an inventory of jobs where:

1) You can take your work home
2) You can do it without help from anyone else
3) You aren't inundated with endless, useless meetings

?

May 9, 2013, 8 p.m.

Easy.. Stay at home Dad.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 9, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

Easy.. Stay at home Dad.

I guess a precursor to this is to procreate with a working female first.

That's a pretty heavy requirement if you aren't already there.

May 9, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

If you don't mind kids, a teacher might be a good option. Good pension, job security (once you've actually got the job), and you get Summers off!

May 9, 2013, 8:37 p.m.

IT Contractor. Taxed as a business, pay yourself dividends = taxed at 50% rate of wages, write off everything you can.
Prerequisites: able to talk to people without being a douche, not giving a fuck about anything, typing, Excel, Visio, Word, networking* [note that actual IT skillz are not really required]
Next level up: SAP Consultant - must be able to perform illusions and conjure billable hours

*Networking in terms of schmoozing and getting LinkedIn invites, not the router/switch stuff.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

May 9, 2013, 8:39 p.m.

A couple posters in the "Early Retirement Thread: Age [HTML_REMOVED] Activity related!" got me thinking.

What are some good career options that allow time to play and enough money to get out and play?

I know a lot of it comes down to smart money management but some careers seem to be more flexible than others.

depends on what you deem important in every day life

needs vs wants

May 9, 2013, 8:41 p.m.

I guess a precursor to this is to procreate with a working female first.

That's a pretty heavy requirement if you aren't already there.

Of course.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 9, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

I'm a teacher, this is not a good work life balance career. Repeat, NOT a good choice.

www.vitalmtb.com

May 9, 2013, 8:52 p.m.

Nursing, police, fire.

Most 4 on/4 off or for some nursing lines, 4 on/5 off. The ability to work overtime. You will never be rich but you will make a good living, positively contribute to society, and retire in your 50's with excellent pension and benefits.

www.FVMBA.com

May 9, 2013, 8:53 p.m.

Balance is Bullshit. Go hard in whatever you're doing, whether that's work or picking up your kids from school. The secret is finding a job that offers the flexibility, and for that the only option is pretty much working for yourself.

Here's a requisite plug:

www.pretirementliving.com

Another great blog is:

www.mrmoneymustache.com/

iforonewelcome.com

May 9, 2013, 9:04 p.m.

Balance is Bullshit.

Mix one part independent consultant to a crown corp with one part beer = instant balance.

May 9, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

Mix one part independent consultant to a crown corp with one part beer = instant balance.

yeah, my dad "retired" a couple years ago.. 6 figure yearly pension, and more than that "consulting" back at his old job..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.