Working in the USA...

Feb. 20, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

Real, serious question: What's life in Denver like? Is "AMURICA WE LOVE BUTTER, GUNS AND FREEDOM" at least hidden on the sidelines of the city?

Denver is a cool city, people are great for the most part, of course there are rednecks and weirdos but thats to be expected. The proximity to the mountains and Boulder mean there is a lot of diversity in the type of people and things to do. Lots of pretty girls, 300 days of sunshine, and the best beer in North America.

ETA: pretty good job market in the energy industry as well and the DJ basin has been said to be the next Bakken (I'm a bit skeptical of that claim but whatever).

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

Feb. 20, 2013, 10:14 p.m.

Denver is a cool city, people are great for the most part, of course there are rednecks and weirdos but thats to be expected. The proximity to the mountains and Boulder mean there is a lot of diversity in the type of people and things to do. Lots of pretty girls, 300 days of sunshine, and the best beer in North America.

ETA: pretty good job market in the energy industry as well and the DJ basin has been said to be the next Bakken (I'm a bit skeptical of that claim but whatever).

I really like Denver/Boulder too however this, "..and the best beer in North America." is false.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 21, 2013, 5:14 a.m.

I really like Denver/Boulder too however this, "..and the best beer in North America." is false.

oh yeah? explain. we have new Belgium, Odell's, left hand, Oskar blues, Avery, the list goes on…

we also host the great American beer festival, largest beer convention in the USA with 450+ breweries attending and over 2500 different beers… so not only great beer, but great beer culture.

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

Feb. 21, 2013, 7:04 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyatA9TzG4

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:06 a.m.

oh yeah? explain. we have new Belgium, Odell's, left hand, Oskar blues, Avery, the list goes on…

we also host the great American beer festival, largest beer convention in the USA with 450+ breweries attending and over 2500 different beers… so not only great beer, but great beer culture.

This is a major thread hijack given the OP likely could care less about the quality of beer in the destination city.

My brother lives in Denver. I like it down there a bunch and try and make a GABF pilgrimage every other year. The availability of good beers in Denver is fantastic. That said, Connor is right, none of the breweries you named are top 10 by any metric. California is home to a better beer culture and a measurable amount of better brews. If I were going to move somewhere in North America solely based on where I could drink the "best" beer, Denver wouldn’t make my top 5.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:07 a.m.

http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries/map/

I'd give the nod to Portland in that horse race.

I looked at moving to Denver for my career several years back. Great people, great sun, centrally located… But the cons were suburb sprawl hell, and mountain access that clogs badly every weekend. In the end, I couldn't see leaving Vancouver for it. But if you're coming from Fort Mac, it's an upgrade (IMO).

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:10 a.m.

But if you're coming from Fort Mac, it's an upgrade (IMO).

A land of fire and brimstone, led by a horned red man would be an upgrade.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:15 a.m.

A land of fire and brimstone, led by a horned red man would be an upgrade.

Kn.

Ohio?

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

This is a major thread hijack given the OP likely could care less about the quality of beer in the destination city.

My brother lives in Denver. I like it down there a bunch and try and make a GABF pilgrimage every other year. The availability of good beers in Denver is fantastic. That said, Connor is right, none of the breweries you named are top 10 by any metric. California is home to a better beer culture and a measurable amount of better brews. If I were going to move somewhere in North America solely based on where I could drink the "best" beer, Denver wouldn’t make my top 5.

California may be home to some of those beers like the Pliny family that people swoon over but the concentration of breweries in CA is very spread out in relation to the front range of CO, so its hard to hit the good spots in a day like you can in CO, plus California sucks. You're right access to beer out here is great and I am sitting in San Francisco airport right now waiting to go to Hawaii with a suitcase of beer we cant get there haha.

http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries/map/

I'd give the nod to Portland in that horse race.

I looked at moving to Denver for my career several years back. Great people, great sun, centrally located… But the cons were suburb sprawl hell, and mountain access that clogs badly every weekend. In the end, I couldn't see leaving Vancouver for it. But if you're coming from Fort Mac, it's an upgrade (IMO).

I live in a small town between Denver and Boulder and its nice, yeah there is some nasty urban sprawl but thats mostly east and south and easily avoidable. Mountain access can get clogged depending on where you go but with proper planning it can also be avoided. I went to aspen over this past President's day weekend and maybe spent 15 minutes in traffic, which isn't bad in my book. One more good thing about the Denver area is that there is biking/dirt biking year round too.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:22 a.m.

If you go expat make sure your repatriation is covered in your contract. Your move from the US wouldn't be that be that expensive; I know a few guys who got screwed working in the MER and Asia and had to pay there own way home.

There are a few lawyers in Calgary that specialize in this stuff. I can get names if you need them.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:49 a.m.

California may be home to some of those beers like the Pliny family that people swoon over but the concentration of breweries in CA is very spread out in relation to the front range of CO, so its hard to hit the good spots in a day like you can in CO, plus California sucks. You're right access to beer out here is great and I am sitting in San Francisco airport right now waiting to go to Hawaii with a suitcase of beer we cant get there haha.

I could sit in a San Diego brewpub and drink fresh Alpine, Ballast Point, Russian River, Firestone Walker, Alesmith, Port, etc. It’s not even close.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:53 a.m.

I could sit in a San Diego brewpub and drink fresh Alpine, Ballast Point, Russian River, Firestone Walker, Alesmith, Port, etc. It’s not even close.

you could do the same thing in boulder and denver…

Anyhow I'll concede the point as I'm sure you've traveled and drank more throughout the USA than I have and I feel bad derailing go-t's thread.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

Ohio?

Indiana

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:56 a.m.

NB Is in Ft Collins but nice try.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

NB Is in Ft Collins but nice try.

a whole 45 minutes from Denver…