Working in the USA...

Feb. 17, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

I'm sure human resources will supply me with everything I need to know if this goes through, but in the random bouncing that seems to be my career these days it appears as though I'm staring a transfer to the Dakota's in the face.

What should I watch out for? Any landmine clauses in my contract that could really cost me huge should things tank suddenly? Can anybody recommend a good US employment firm with an office in Calgary, Vancouver or Edmonton that I can retain to go over a new contract? Any random notes that those of you who have done such a thing can share?

Feb. 17, 2013, 2:38 p.m.

You seem to be a pretty ambitious and career motivated kind of guy, which I can respect, but no amount of money or persuasion could convince me to move to the US to work these days, especially to the middle of nowhere like the Midwest…

Feb. 17, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

You seem to be a pretty ambitious and career motivated kind of guy, which I can respect, but no amount of money or persuasion could convince me to move to the US to work these days, especially to the middle of nowhere like the Midwest…

There is only one thing that can convince me to go, and that's power. This position offers more power, so I'll take it if offered (and the contract is appropriate…) Subtle, right?

Feb. 17, 2013, 3:34 p.m.

Off topic, but the Dakotas are beautiful and more "Canadian" than the other states around them IMO.

Another plus is getting to find out where Wall Drug actually is.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 17, 2013, 3:40 p.m.

You can visit the Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota

Feb. 17, 2013, 4:29 p.m.

Off topic, but the Dakotas are beautiful and more "Canadian" than the other states around them IMO.

Another plus is getting to find out where Wall Drug actually is.

I've been a couple times, can't really say that I agree with you on ND… South is nice though, I dig the badlands.

Feb. 17, 2013, 4:37 p.m.

south dakota is nice. keep me posted. I wouldnt wanna work work or live in the states

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 17, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

you gona become american just like farmer?

Feb. 17, 2013, 4:42 p.m.

I don't know the details, but be sure to check into what you need to do about rrsps and other investments you may have, as well as tax implications and then all the same questions again but in reverse for when you return.

Feb. 17, 2013, 4:51 p.m.

There is only one thing that can convince me to go, and that's power. This position offers more power, so I'll take it if offered (and the contract is appropriate…) Subtle, right?

Don't forget about the little people (you're real life friends) on your quest to power and fame.

Life is pretty empty without friends and no amount of power or money can bring them back into your life once you've made a break for too long.

Feb. 17, 2013, 5:56 p.m.

^ The man is right, and I'm glad I learned that lesson early in life…

Make time for your family (if circumstances allow, a phone call is good, but face to face is best) every couple of days. Keep in touch with your friends - phone, facebook, email, do whatever you can. You're all exploring your own paths in life, and they are likely divergent - but you were attracted to each other for a reason and you should continue to explore that.

Seek rep on NSMB. Nothing is more important than being the first to 1 billion.

Feb. 17, 2013, 6:17 p.m.

You're gonna be in a Black Friday Wal Mart video. Yuuuup, dem der's sum good stuff

Feb. 17, 2013, 6:28 p.m.

http://www.frostfireskiarea.com/

Here's where you'll get to ski. I went there once, the runs are over pretty quick! It's more a social time than anything.

Feb. 17, 2013, 6:30 p.m.

Jealous ! Congrats. America remains the land of opportunity for the dedicated ones, not to mentioned the amazing amount of climates and cities moving to the US could expose you to.

Hope it works out.

Feb. 18, 2013, 10:29 p.m.

I don't know the details, but be sure to check into what you need to do about rrsps and other investments you may have, as well as tax implications and then all the same questions again but in reverse for when you return.

Can't emphasize that ^^^ advice enough.

Moving part way through the year can bring unexpected taxes if you're not careful:

If you reside in the US for [HTML_REMOVED]183 days they will deem you to be a resident for the whole year. The state you move to will probably do the same. This means you pay US federal and state income tax on both your US and Canadian earnings for the entire year. Canada will also deem you to be a resident for the time you worked in Canada, as will your province - and you will have to pay Canadian/provincial taxes on this income.

Its not a big deal for federal taxes because tax treaties ensure you don't get bent over too badly. But there are no treaties between states and provinces. So, you will pay both state and provincial income tax on whatever you earned in Canada, and neither will give you credit for what you paid to the other. Ask me how I know all this…!

Canada is a little more into pro-rating so I don't think it's as bad if you reside in Canada for over half the year. But I think if you are a US resident for less than half the year you may lose your tax deductions, which can be a big deal.

And also important to note, even if you move to the US but maintain ties to Canada, the CRA can come back years later and deem you to be a Canadian resident for the whole time, and assess taxes, penalties and interest on what you earned in the US while away. So its important to cut ties to Canada (get rid of bank accounts, memberships, cell phones, cars you won't take with you, etc - having wife/kids remain in Canada is a definite tie). There is info on CRA's website about this and you can send them info to get an advance ruling on your situation before you go - highly recommended.

Like ceebee said, get professional advice because there are some complex rules you're dealing with here. And, make sure your employer gets you a green card. That way if you decide to stay, you have no issues doing so. A lot of other visas are tied to a specific employer.