Working in Alberta

April 14, 2013, 4:13 p.m.

Really, really tough to find a instrumentation apprenticeship nowadays. Employers really want the 2 year program to your name.

That 2 year program at BCIT is such bullshit.
Also looking at the Electrician Foundation course at BCIT, only gives you credit for 320 hrs though

Anyway, Im just grumpy due to circumstances I don't feel like airing on right right now

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 14, 2013, 4:21 p.m.

As a person who's been in the position of interviewing and hiring instrument techs in a past life, I can definitively say that hiring anyone out of the BCIT I[HTML_REMOVED]C program has never been a mistake.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 15, 2013, 8:14 a.m.

Really, really tough to find a instrumentation apprenticeship nowadays. Employers really want the 2 year program to your name.

Maybe true in BC, here you can find an apprenticeship in a day if you're willing to move for it.

April 15, 2013, 10:12 a.m.

So you're allowed to better yourself but he can pour coffee for life?

I'd like to know that someone will be pouring my coffee for me for the rest of my like.

I am ok with it being different people over the course of my life, but wouldn't feel bad if it were the same person. Who am I to say how much joy a barrista derives from their vocation.

April 15, 2013, 10:59 a.m.

I'd like to know that someone will be pouring my coffee for me for the rest of my like.

I am ok with it being different people over the course of my life, but wouldn't feel bad if it were the same person. Who am I to say how much joy a barrista derives from their vocation.

You missed the point. I've got no odds with people who want to work at lower end jobs, I've got a problem with suggesting that working for Tim Horton's is a viable alternate career path for somebody looking at a career in oil and gas - especially when its suggested that the world wide mass produced coffee market somehow gets off as being eco-conscious.

April 15, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

Who am I to say how much joy a barrista derives from their vocation.

As long as she is slightly flirty with my and early to mid-twenties Im good with that.

You missed the point. I've got no odds with people who want to work at lower end jobs, I've got a problem with suggesting that working for Tim Horton's is a viable alternate career path for somebody looking at a career in oil and gas - especially when its suggested that the world wide mass produced coffee market somehow gets off as being eco-conscious.

You need to start marketing eco-oil or some shit

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 15, 2013, 4:19 p.m.

Maybe true in BC, here you can find an apprenticeship in a day if you're willing to move for it.

My experience was in the Edmonton area. Might be a little easier in the GP/FT.Mac crap holes.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

April 15, 2013, 5:58 p.m.

My experience was in the Edmonton area. Might be a little easier in the GP/FT.Mac crap holes.

lol crap holes

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 15, 2013, 10:18 p.m.

Meh. If you're working 12 hour shifts, does it really matter where you are living while you work? I rarely do anything but commute, eat, and sleep in the middle of a stretch of 12 hour shifts. I doubt I'd behave much differently if I lived in Whistler Village.

Lots of jobs in those "crapholes" that enable workers to spend their 10-15 days off/month wherever they please. I'm actually grateful most Canadians don't want to live in "crapholes" because it keeps wages higher for those of us who don't share the mentality.

April 16, 2013, 7:42 a.m.

Meh. If you're working 12 hour shifts, does it really matter where you are living while you work? I rarely do anything but commute, eat, and sleep in the middle of a stretch of 12 hour shifts. I doubt I'd behave much differently if I lived in Whistler Village.

This is true.

Working 12-16 hours a day, I don't care so long as I have decent food, a clean room, and comfy bed. Most of the smaller temporary camps seem to work out OK. Not enough spare time in a typical day to even think about anything else.

I work all over the patch, all points north south east and west, across three provinces. Some of our best jobs and most financially rewarding hitches are in remote shit holes, with very little infrastructure. Wake, wash, eat, travel, work, travel, eat, crash out. Rinse and repeat. Mixed up with nights in some decent hotels and shorter stays in various towns/cities. Though a straight 15 days run in the bush 100km from civilisation can kinda send a guy a bit bush crazy.

Though personally, I wouldn't like to have to stay consistently in the same craphole. Variety is the spice of life, and at least the various types of hardships and inconveniences do keep things fresh and interesting. Nor would I like the 5000-person megacamp life. Would send me insane. Like being in jail. With all the luxuries, too!

April 16, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

Lots of jobs in those "crapholes" that enable workers to spend their 10-15 days off/month wherever they please. I'm actually grateful most Canadians don't want to live in "crapholes" because it keeps wages higher for those of us who don't share the mentality.

Fair enough. I am on day 18 of my 30 day hitch in the middle of the ocean. Still better than ft.mac. I really did not like my time spent working there. But alot of people do it and enjoy it. And I agree, you can not deny the opportunities available in the "crapholes".

April 16, 2013, 5:44 p.m.

Fair enough. I am on day 18 of my 30 day hitch in the middle of the ocean. Still better than ft.mac. I really did not like my time spent working there. But alot of people do it and enjoy it. And I agree, you can not deny the opportunities available in the "crapholes".

Where are you working? Overseas?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

April 16, 2013, 11:28 p.m.

Right on. Sounds like you are aboard a drillship?

April 16, 2013, 11:39 p.m.

Yes

April 17, 2013, 4:06 p.m.

Where are you working? Overseas?

Right on. Sounds like you are aboard a drillship?

Trinidad and no, not yet. On a tender, trying to slide into deepwater.