Working in Alberta

Jan. 31, 2013, 8:39 p.m.

Yes because economy come before everything else. The problem isn't the fact that the Albertan Oil sands are supplying oil that pollutes cities its the fact that the excavation of the oil sands and hydro fracking tight coal is destroying the areas they are in.

These two things have virtually no more to do with each other than underground mining has to do with vertical high pressure drilling. The restored mines in Ft. Mac are pretty close to exactly the same as they were before the topsoil was stripped, and deep well fracking has almost no negative impact on any surrounding ecosystem save water use - something that industry (including a project that I'm personally involved with) is actively working on finding a solution for.

I know, none of the workers there are to blame for anything after all they don't own the companies and they are forced into working for huge paycheques :crybaby:. You have to decide what the environment is worth to you. I would like to think that people would put it ahead of making money (and not just money to survive but more money than they could ever possibly need to live) but people are greedy and will sell their souls to get 3 sleds, a 3 ton pickup, 2 boats, 6 rifles, and a house and then piss the rest away on booze and drugs. But once you are having a good time eh?

Don't put those attributes on me. I own one small quad, a couple of bicycles, a ford ranger, a modest house, and I give a fair amount of money and time to charity and my community. Just because Johnny retard burned out in front of you once doesn't mean that all or even most Albertan's are douche bags.

Just to give the NSMB "experts" on everything a my point of reference, i work in mining. Its an industry that has a bad name and rightly so but I have standards and I have a level of environmental damage that I am comfortable with (very small with a post mining rehab plan). I will only work in underground mines. I have had opportunities to make crazy money working in open pit coal and other types but I refused as I dont want to be part of that and I really dont need any more money than I already earn. I have worked hard to get where I am and if I wanted I could go work offshore (still in a minimal impact mine) and earn massive money but until I actually need to I won't.

Que abuse…..

You mean you would earn a better middle income? The deeper I delve into the business of Oil and Gas the more I realize that the entrepreneurs are the people who are making real money. I think you're misusing the word "crazy" - it doesn't apply to any hourly wage.

Just so you know your own point of reference - all mining (including bitumen - that's why in situ projects are taking off at such a high rate) is more harmful and energy intensive to the environment then drilling for natural gas. Even the Journal Nature has conceded this point… you're a bit behind on the argument here. Coal is dirty… sorry man.

Jan. 31, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

Guess I should have mentioned that I am out of the welding trade. I went back to school for structural drafing a few years ago. So I am still in the steel industry just sit at a computer all day now. Thats why I am thinking Calgary would be best for me. I don't think any of the design work is done in Fort Mac.

If anyone has any hookups for a steel detailer feel free to PM me.

I've seen some mechanical drafting jobs on indeed.ca.

Jan. 31, 2013, 9:29 p.m.

Don't put those attributes on me. I own one small quad, a couple of bicycles, a ford ranger, a modest house, and I give a fair amount of money and time to charity and my community. Just because Johnny retard burned out in front of you once doesn't mean that all or even most Albertan's are douche bags.

No doubt. The ones with the huge trucks, monster houses, etc, etc. are the ones that stand out. Hence, they create the stereotype that is not representative of a good chunk of the population. You would be blown away at the amount of people in this industry that live like regular guys.

BRB I'm going for a drive in my lifted Honda CRV.

Feb. 5, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

I've seen some mechanical drafting jobs on indeed.ca.

Hey thanks for the tip but I am not qualified for that particular job.

You guys know where to look for jobs in Alberta on line? It looks like they don't use craigslist in Alberta much.

Feb. 5, 2013, 6:17 p.m.

Hey thanks for the tip but I am not qualified for that particular job.

You guys know where to look for jobs in Alberta on line? It looks like they don't use craigslist in Alberta much.

That is reserved for hookers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKpjOEG8AOk

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 5, 2013, 7:19 p.m.

dam thanks for that. Wonder how long that will stay on youtube.

Feb. 5, 2013, 8:53 p.m.

That is reserved for hookers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKpjOEG8AOk

dam thanks for that. Wonder how long that will stay on youtube.

Probably a long time.

Toughnecks.com for PD/PWS/LRG.
workopolis for random stuff.
nabors.com for Nabors/Nabors Well Servicing
akita-drilling.com another driller

etc. Book yourself a week off of whatever you're doing now and pound pavement in Nisku, you'll leave employed - that's the absolute best way.

Feb. 7, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

Book yourself a week off of whatever you're doing now and pound pavement in Nisku, you'll leave employed - that's the absolute best way.

This. If you bring timbits and wear steel toes in to the offices, it will take a matter of hours. Field tested.

Feb. 7, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

I know, none of the workers there are to blame for anything after all they don't own the companies and they are forced into working for huge paycheques :crybaby:.

So you are seriously blaming (hiding behind sarcasm) oil industry workers for the negative environmental effects of hydrocarbon use?

Why target Alberta when most global oil production takes place in countries with laughable environmental policies and shady governments?

I don't care how many miles you've rode a bike. Where was your bike frame made? How did the government pay for the highways and paths you've been riding on? Probably from the income tax of oil and natural resource workers. Let's not forget that someone who makes 6 figures a year gives almost half of those paycheques to the government. This never seems to get recognition from people who hold views like yours.

I've spent the last 6 months looking for work in the lower mainland, and I'm about to move to AB where I can get 3 job offers in as many hours and make some of those "huge paycheques" - which aren't exactly that huge when you factor in the long hours, danger, exposure to chemicals, physical toll, and the fact that not too many people these days are willing and able to do dirty field work, for any amount of money.

I find your comment rather ignorant for someone who considers themself a lobbyist.

March 13, 2013, 8:44 a.m.

A big thank - you to "go-t" for starting this thread.

The info you posted, specifically on Gas Plants in the original post, played a big part in me seeking a new, awesome line of work. I was hired this week as a junior Operator for Gibson Energy.

This thread is a gold mine for those who are in need of a job and are open to relocating. I'm starting with a 7 day on/off rotation which leaves plenty of time for riding and I couldn't be much happier with my luck.

If any fellow NSMB'ers are interested in working in the oilpatch, I'll do my best to help answer any questions you have on Drilling Rigs, and going forward, Power Engineering and Plant Operations.

BTW…I think it would be in the common interest to keep the ideology and politics of fossil fuels in a separate thread.

Here is a link to another thread containing a goldmine of info for those looking to start out in the oilpatch:

http://www.reality-check.ca/threads/3956-Oil-Rig-Oil-Sands-jobs-in-Alberta-and-British-Columbia

Cheers.

March 13, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

:)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 13, 2013, 1:31 p.m.

they are forced into working for huge paycheques

Tragic. Terrible. Awful.
You make it sound like slavery.

Free market. Go where the money is. Get paid well for working long hours, in adversity, with risk. Exciting and challenging. Adrenalin. Ups and downs. Money, camaraderie, and a buzz.

Jeez hard times working for big money

"Forced?" You are having a laugh. I'd never go back to doing a "normal" job. Too boring.

March 13, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

Maybe if you read what I wrote again you would get it.

And 1 wheel drive, the workers are equally to blame as the owners. If everyone had an environmental conscience perhaps they would factor the environmental impact of what their potential employer is going to do and not work for them. Then the employer would be forced to rethink their operational model, but alas that kind of pressure doesn't exist in that industry.

As i said I work in mining but I would like to think that I make judgements on work I am happy doing based on a combination of economics and environment. In fact sometimes I will do work that is bad for the environment because I know that if I don't then someone else will, and they will make an even bigger mess.

Claiming that the oil sand are put back the way they were prior to mining and that deep fracking does no damage is laughable.

March 13, 2013, 2:35 p.m.

Maybe if you read what I wrote again you would get it.

And 1 wheel drive, the workers are equally to blame as the owners. If everyone had an environmental conscience perhaps they would factor the environmental impact of what their potential employer is going to do and not work for them. Then the employer would be forced to rethink their operational model, but alas that kind of pressure doesn't exist in that industry.

As i said I work in mining but I would like to think that I make judgements on work I am happy doing based on a combination of economics and environment. In fact sometimes I will do work that is bad for the environment because I know that if I don't then someone else will, and they will make an even bigger mess.

Claiming that the oil sand are put back the way they were prior to mining and that deep fracking does no damage is laughable.

~~This statement is based on years of experience, extensive reading, and a willingness to read research from all sides of the argument~~

Wheel - Glad you got it sorted. Congrats, work your way to a 1st class over here and you'll find yourself with a pick of jobs that pay 100k+ all across Canada.

March 13, 2013, 2:41 p.m.

And 1 wheel drive, the workers are equally to blame as the owners.

Hypothetical Scenario:

You and your family live in Africa, in poverty. There is food, but not enough. You're constantly hungry and your children will grow up malnourished if they don't get some extra nutrients.

There is an endangered animal in a nearby reserve that is easy to hunt, and will provide the needed nutrients for your family to thrive.

Do you hunt that animal?