Why Freedom Became Free-Dumb in America

Jan. 7, 2021, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I was a conference once having dinner with a group of Yanks trying to explain to them why I was OK with paying higher taxes to support universal healthcare . They just didn't seem to understand why I was so concerned about covering everyone. I also could not convince them that Canada had decent healthcare.

I had that conversation with an American sitting beside me on a flight once. I told him how my Dad had a heart valve replaced in his late 40s and that there was no cost to our family beyond the taxes we had already paid. He wasn't swayed by the idea that extending my Dad's his life for several decades without putting our family in debt was worth it.

Last edited by: PaulB on Jan. 7, 2021, 11:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 7, 2021, 3:04 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Posted by: chupacabra

I was a conference once having dinner with a group of Yanks trying to explain to them why I was OK with paying higher taxes to support universal healthcare . They just didn't seem to understand why I was so concerned about covering everyone. I also could not convince them that Canada had decent healthcare.

I had that conversation with an American sitting beside me on a flight once. I told him how my Dad had a heart valve replaced in his late 40s and that there was no cost to our family beyond the taxes we had already paid. He wasn't swayed by the idea that extending my Dad's his life for several decades without putting our family in debt was worth it.

Just can’t wrap my head around how so many Americans think socialized health care will lead to communism. They just can’t seem to figure out that if mom gets cancer they won’t have to lose their house.

Jan. 7, 2021, 6:43 p.m.

Conversely, all the Americans I know are in favour of it. And they’re rich to buy their own, they just know it’s better for everyone. 

There are over 350 million amreicans remember, the media narrative and anecdotes by foreigners aren’t particularly representative.

Jan. 7, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Just can’t wrap my head around how so many Americans think socialized health care will lead to communism. They just can’t seem to figure out that if mom gets cancer they won’t have to lose their house.

Manufactured consent.

It's happening here as well.  I'm not sure how, but we kicked out Christy and the Criminals before they could hollow out our province like our Alberta brethen have witnessed.

Jan. 8, 2021, 12:46 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Conversely, all the Americans I know are in favour of it. And they’re rich to buy their own, they just know it’s better for everyone. 

There are over 350 million amreicans remember, the media narrative and anecdotes by foreigners aren’t particularly representative.

They purchase medical coverage from an insurance company.  They are offered various types of coverages, such as yearly physicals, emergency room visits for trauma, etc.  The person then picks what components of the coverage they believe they need/want, and then pay for that.

With universal health care, pretty much everything is covered, so each person must pay for full coverage.  An American man would object because he doesn't need, for example, maternity insurance as he'd never require it.  So the man will argue that he's having to pay for insurance he'd never use.  He only wants to pay for what he may need.

That's the American mentality.

Jan. 8, 2021, 2:48 a.m.

Posted by: switch

They purchase medical coverage from an insurance company.  They are offered various types of coverages, such as yearly physicals, emergency room visits for trauma, etc.  The person then picks what components of the coverage they believe they need/want, and then pay for that.

With universal health care, pretty much everything is covered, so each person must pay for full coverage.  An American man would object because he doesn't need, for example, maternity insurance as he'd never require it.  So the man will argue that he's having to pay for insurance he'd never use.  He only wants to pay for what he may need.

That's the American mentality.

Buddy was saying in the Senate today to go shovel snow from your neighbors drive. But sharing healthcare costs is a step too far

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1346998923525722116?s=19

Jan. 8, 2021, 6:48 a.m.

Gosh, Thanks for explaining how medical insurance works. 

That’s is AN American mentality, not THE American mentality.

Like most smug Canadians, you’ve chosen the viewpoint that you’ve been presented that confirms your identity. Weather that’s based on what you’ve learned in the media or from your personal experiences, I’m here to tell you that a lot of Americans DON’T think that way.

But I won’t be surprised if you stick your guns on this, IME most old-stock Canadians hate the idea that they’re not intellectually and morally superior to the entire American population.

Last edited by: tashi on Jan. 8, 2021, 6:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2021, 8:14 a.m.

I’m here to tell you that a lot of Americans DON’T think that way.

When my cousin in California lost her job due to downsizing. Health insurance for a family of 4.... 2000- 2500.00 a month for a good plan that covers everything.  Needless to say she doesn't enjoy coughing that up every month. Her husband had an MRI done a few weeks ago which cost 7500.00... luckily it was covered. Imagine having to worry about med bills like that?

Jan. 8, 2021, 8:20 a.m.

Yeah, it sucks and my point is that a LOT (Most?) of Americans want it to change.

Jan. 8, 2021, 9:26 a.m.

Single Payer health coverage is supported by a majority of Americans according to polling.  As usual, it's the minority (Republicans) that continue block it from becoming a reality.

Jan. 8, 2021, 10:20 a.m.

Wait, but that doesn’t fit with the American Mentality™️!  I’m so confused!

Jan. 8, 2021, 11:47 a.m.

The first time i ever heard the word " Copay " was on an American ski web site

I didn't know what it meant but it wasnt hard to guess

Jan. 8, 2021, 3:03 p.m.

I've met americans who seemed less american than many Canadians to be quite honest and where you meet them is doing the outdoor things

Jan. 9, 2021, 9:30 a.m.

skiers,  bikers, paddlers, some fishermen would trend to the leaf liking side and less be less Albertan

altho i have also  met Albertans who were less American

Jan. 9, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

Loving the FBIs tweets to help ID rioters, who rioted without face bandana’s and we have super clear evidence of who they are.  (including an now ex-employers ID badge lol).   Freedumb.