Why Freedom Became Free-Dumb in America

Jan. 12, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I'm pretty sure they still make hash pipes in HS

yrs ago buddy made me a wicked titanium pipe in the shop at rocky. tried it out recently after years of inaction. that experience was good enough to last for years into the future. lol...

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 12, 2021, 12:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 12, 2021, 12:25 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: syncro

As an aside, IMO philosophy should be taught in high school.

Screw that - get them out/graduated by 16. Dont get me wrong, philosophy would be a great elective but I think we need to drastically overhaul some shit in the curriculim.  Or basically, have the options for students who want to work in trade's available sooner without having to drop out which would give the student's who want to pursue post sec and higher thinking the same option.

For my aside, anyone else seen enough of the results from "Career & Attitude Planning" ?

They should graduate at the same time, but I have long been an advocate of retooling high school to actually help the 70% that don't go to college get something more useful out of school.  There has to be more options than woodshop.

EDIT:  I haven't been to high school in a long time, maybe they do better now.

Wasn't there a report on the mother corp recently about cdn. counselers telling racialized students "college, just forgeddiboutit"?

Jan. 12, 2021, 1:29 p.m.

That might be the best advise.  When I graduated in 1990 the advise was basically college or be a loser, but there are a lot of trades and technical positions that pay well and don't require a trust fund to pay for the schooling.  I doubt I would have decided to not go to college, but councilors basically ignored anyone not applying to post secondary.

Jan. 12, 2021, 2:43 p.m.

*advice

Jan. 12, 2021, 4:32 p.m.

I think the thrust of the expose was that the counselors were streering non-whites away from higher learning because they were racist.

Jan. 12, 2021, 10:10 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Screw that - get them out/graduated by 16. Dont get me wrong, philosophy would be a great elective but I think we need to drastically overhaul some shit in the curriculim. Or basically, have the options for students who want to work in trade's available sooner without having to drop out which would give the student's who want to pursue post sec and higher thinking the same option.

For my aside, anyone else seen enough of the results from "Career & Attitude Planning" ?

Fuck that! I don’t want any sixteen year olds out on the site with me. I have enough to focus on never mind worrying about someone who can’t even grow facial hair getting squished.

Love the Metallica.

So... on a segue from that: does that mean we could agree that the voting age should be raised instead of lowered?

Jan. 12, 2021, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I think the thrust of the expose was that the counselors were streering non-whites away from higher learning because they were racist.

You ever wonder about Liberal Arts? Sort of implies the rest of the institution is of the conservative side.

Jan. 13, 2021, 5:45 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Screw that - get them out/graduated by 16. Dont get me wrong, philosophy would be a great elective but I think we need to drastically overhaul some shit in the curriculim. Or basically, have the options for students who want to work in trade's available sooner without having to drop out which would give the student's who want to pursue post sec and higher thinking the same option.

Fuck that! I don’t want any sixteen year olds out on the site with me. I have enough to focus on never mind worrying about someone who can’t even grow facial hair getting squished.

Love the Metallica.

So... on a segue from that: does that mean we could agree that the voting age should be raised instead of lowered?

Not at all. It’s fine where it is. In fairness though I’m not comfortable with an 18 year old around large tracked equipment either.I’ve been on a site where a 19 year old was killed.

Jan. 13, 2021, 9:56 a.m.

You ever wonder about Liberal Arts? Sort of implies the rest of the institution is of the conservative side.

no.  it doesn't.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberal%20arts

"The liberal in liberal arts, a cornerstone of the education of so many, has very little to do with political leanings; its roots can be traced to the Latin word liber, meaning “free, unrestricted.” Our language took the term from the Latin liberales artes, which described the education given to freeman and members of the upper classes, and involved training in the mind (grammar, logic, geometry, etc.). The lower classes were educated in the servile arts, which were mechanical or occupational in nature. The phrase liberal arts has been part of our language for a very long time, with use dating back to the 14th century."

Jan. 13, 2021, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

no.  it doesn't.

"The liberal in liberal arts, a cornerstone of the education of so many, has very little to do with political leanings; its roots can be traced to the Latin word liber, meaning “free, unrestricted.” Our language took the term from the Latin liberales artes, which described the education given to freeman and members of the upper classes, and involved training in the mind (grammar, logic, geometry, etc.). The lower classes were educated in the servile arts, which were mechanical or occupational in nature. The phrase liberal arts has been part of our language for a very long time, with use dating back to the 14th century."

Eff you and your effin facts!  You're not being open-minded!!  Do your research!

Jan. 13, 2021, 1:27 p.m.

*advice

Nice try KenN!

Jan. 13, 2021, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

no.  it doesn't.

What would the conservative arts be?  Conversion therapy?

Jan. 13, 2021, 2:47 p.m.

*advice

Nice try KenN!

Advise is a verb, an action, the act of doing.  I'm going to advise chup on his poor grammar.

Advice is a noun, the thing that is given.  I gave chup advice about basic grammar as it's been 50 years or more since he took basic English lesson in high school.

Jan. 13, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

*advice

Nice try KenN!

Advise is a verb, an action, the act of doing.  I'm going to advise chup on his poor grammar.

Advice is a noun, the thing that is given.  I gave chup advice about basic grammar as it's been 50 years or more since he took basic English lesson in high school.

epic. two nitwits fighting it out on the interdweebs and my lil cuck ends up on the bottom.

Jan. 13, 2021, 8:52 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I wondered why there aren't Conservative Arts schools, but then I remembered about the Christian schools that force you to take arbitrary vows on enrollment.