Why build a pipeline? Why can't we consume our own oil?

Oct. 12, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

so what's your solution? give everyone high paying government jobs?

solution to what? I was just being a twat..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 12, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Pro-tip: Don't subsidize oil. Make us pay the full, true cost. Innovation will then be able to compete on a more equal footing and eventually we won't be destroying our ecosystem and we'll get to forget the Middle-East exists.

That's the exact opposite of what our current administration wants however.

Oct. 13, 2014, 12:33 a.m.

There are no walls with outlets on the Highway :(

I realize the quote is somewhat old, but why not just equip all electric cars with a tesla coil to pull electricity out of the natural energy grid?

Cant be that hard if some serbian dude did it like 80 years ago. Sure, he may have been possibly the smartest human ever but I digress.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

I realize the quote is somewhat old, but why not just equip all electric cars with a tesla coil to pull electricity out of the natural energy grid?

Cant be that hard if some serbian dude did it like 80 years ago. Sure, he may have been possibly the smartest human ever but I digress.

Sigh.. You need to understand the physics behind things like this before you spout off. Please read this and if you can understand the physics and math behind it then you might be able to make an intelligent post.

But in case the wiki article is too long here is something about Tesla receivers:

"Tesla stated that the output power from these devices, attained from Hertzian methods of charging, was low,[48] but alternative charging means are available. Tesla receivers, operated correctly, act as a step-down transformer with high current output.[49] To date, no commercial power generation entities or businesses have used this technology to full effect. The power levels achieved by Tesla coil receivers have, thus far, been a fraction of the output power of the transmitters"

That is, no one has been able to efficiently gather power via a Tesla coil.

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

How much would that coil weigh?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:52 a.m.

I could be making this shit up but I think Tesla found a natural energy field in the atmosphere. He also figured out how to harness this energy. Then decided it was too dangerous. I believe beaming the energy down to earth would create atmospheric death rays that would fry birds.
Free energy and roast bird sounds like a win win situation.

common senseā€¦..Whats common about sense?!

Oct. 13, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

Pro-tip: Don't subsidize oil. Make us pay the full, true cost. Innovation will then be able to compete on a more equal footing and eventually we won't be destroying our ecosystem and we'll get to forget the Middle-East exists.

That's the exact opposite of what our current administration wants however.

This. Might be more innovation in alternate energy sources if the playing field was levelled and the subsidies weren't flowing into fossil fuels.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 13, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

This. Might be more innovation in alternate energy sources if the playing field was levelled and the subsidies weren't flowing into fossil fuels.

So alternative energy sources should not be able to write off their expences?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Oct. 13, 2014, 3:47 p.m.

So alternative energy sources should not be able to write off their expences?

Not sure where you got that from. Oil industry = subsidized. Alternate energy = barely subsidized. As long as the cost of energy from fossil fuel sources (coal, oil, natural gas) is kept artificially low (and recall that those subsidies ultimately come out of your taxes), then it is difficult for alternate energy sources to take over as they're fighting an uphill battle.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 13, 2014, 5:15 p.m.

Not sure where you got that from. Oil industry = subsidized. Alternate energy = barely subsidized. As long as the cost of energy from fossil fuel sources (coal, oil, natural gas) is kept artificially low (and recall that those subsidies ultimately come out of your taxes), then it is difficult for alternate energy sources to take over as they're fighting an uphill battle.

Total dollars is a worthless value, and is the only hard fact in that opinion column you provide. List specific tax write offs that the oil industry gets for which there is no equivalent in the renewable energy industry.

I don't disagree with removing specific tax breaks, if the goal were to lower overall tax rates to what everyone is actually paying and thereby simplify the tax code and reduce the number of CRA bean counters that are needed to collect taxes. But to suggest that something is unfair because industry X gets more dollars in tax write offs than industry Y, without even looking at the overall size of those industries is pretty dumb, even for you.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:14 p.m.

Total dollars is a worthless value, and is the only hard fact in that opinion column you provide. List specific tax write offs that the oil industry gets for which there is no equivalent in the renewable energy industry.

I don't disagree with removing specific tax breaks, if the goal were to lower overall tax rates to what everyone is actually paying and thereby simplify the tax code and reduce the number of CRA bean counters that are needed to collect taxes. But to suggest that something is unfair because industry X gets more dollars in tax write offs than industry Y, without even looking at the overall size of those industries is pretty dumb, even for you.

Whatever, you're only a hair above Tungsten and Marcus, just on the other side of the fence, so any debate with you is a waste of time.

Oct. 13, 2014, 9:15 p.m.

So tax write-offs are significantly better than subsidies. Didn't know that.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells