Who will win the World Cup?

July 7, 2010, 7:53 a.m.

Deutschland uber alles

I'm not sure whether you said that on purpose, knowing what it actually means, or simply have no clue. I really hope you have no clue.

It used to be part of the German national anthem… From the middle of the 19th century until the end of World War II. After the war was over, it was decided to abandon that part of the national anthem because it means "Germany shall rise over every nation in the world", which is clearly not appropriate after what happened.

So yeah… it's not part of the national anthem, it's rather one of those things that you don't ever want to say again.

As far as the World Cup goes - I really hope that Germany will take the win. I never really liked the German team as ironic as it may sound, because they never played that well, all they did was play efficiently. But this year they sure do have a great team with some awesome individual players. It really is a pleasure to watch.

I'm not sure whether they'll beat Spain or not tonight. At least the Octopus says so…

July 7, 2010, 8:17 a.m.

badonkadonk.

July 7, 2010, 8:39 a.m.

Yeah because Kroegs is the first person to have made WWII allusions with the World Cup. :rolleyes:

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

July 7, 2010, 8:44 a.m.

"Germany shall rise over every nation in the world", which is clearly not appropriate after what happened.

yeah saying Germany shall rise over other nations is clearly an inappropriate thing to say in REGARDS TO THE WORLD CUP where the winner has to beat all other countries to win

Posted via Mobile Device

July 7, 2010, 9:07 a.m.

yeah saying Germany shall rise over other nations is clearly an inappropriate thing to say in REGARDS TO THE WORLD CUP where the winner has to beat all other countries to win

Umm… posting the epitome of the Nazi Germany national anthem is not appropriate, not even in regard to the world cup.

No point in splitting hairs, and I'm not trying to make Kroegs look like a stupid fool. What he knowingly or unknowingly posted was simply one of those things that you should never ever say, that's it.

July 7, 2010, 9:16 a.m.

ze Germans will win today, but will fall to the Dutch in the final!

Mesut Oezil!

July 7, 2010, 10:23 a.m.

ze Germans will win today, but will fall to the Dutch in the final!

Mesut Oezil!

excellent prediction sir.

edit: lame for the manager to sit torres. he needs match time to get back into form.

July 7, 2010, 11:59 a.m.

ehh my prediction looks pretty shitty thus far, Spain are dictating the pace with slow but dominant possession.

July 7, 2010, 12:12 p.m.

Ed, I really think that these replies are just posted to get our blood pressure up a few notches. And people who do not live in Europe can very easily post stuff that they have no "proper" idea about if you know what I mean.

And unfortunately the "Germans" have to deal with such things for ever I think. But I am ok with that, more or less, both my parents grew up in Nazi Germany, but still I think that Germany has changed a great deal….whatever.

Anyways, it seems that Spain is the better team - but this does not mean anything….in the end, the team who scored more is the winner - and not necessarily the better one. :)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 7, 2010, 12:26 p.m.

Leave it to the Germans to take the fun out of this thread.
We were doing so well too.

:(

July 7, 2010, 12:57 p.m.

so, who's watching the game on the huge screen on granville st? VERY cool, i was sorry to have to go back to work

July 7, 2010, 1 p.m.

Goal! Spain! First!

July 7, 2010, 1:11 p.m.

Did germany win yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 7, 2010, 1:12 p.m.

[Basil Fawlty] Don't mention the war![/Basil Fawlty]

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 7, 2010, 1:14 p.m.

looks like Germany will not be winning the World Cup.

ski faster, I hear banjo music