Who will win the World Cup?

July 7, 2010, 8:33 p.m.

I'm hoping Sneijder can take the Golden Boot (tournament's top scorer) with a multi-goal performance in the final. Right now, he's tied with David Villa with 5.

July 7, 2010, 9:38 p.m.

i'd like the netherlands to take this one, but spain is looking better

July 7, 2010, 10:23 p.m.

yeah saying Germany shall rise over other nations is clearly an inappropriate thing to say in REGARDS TO THE WORLD CUP where the winner has to beat all other countries to win

Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you Gerewh0te. That is the only way I was using it. Certainly not to promote hatred of other countries.

As I am fully aware of how that part of the national anthem was once used to promote hatred, I am also not ashamed to be of german descent. The song was written long before the Nazi's were in power in Germany and just because it was used out of it original context for a decade, does not mean it should be a banned phrase.
Both of my parents were born and grew up in Germany. Both my Grandfathers fought in North Africa under Rommel.

As mic said though, Germans will never be allowed to move past that part of their history. Im not saying it should be forgotten, or that it should be condoned in any way, but as Germany was certainly not the only country to commit war crimes in that conflict, it is hyocritical for anyone to keep shoving it in their faces.

Not that it matters anymore as Spain was the better team today. :crybaby:

July 8, 2010, 10:13 a.m.

A lot of people don't know how embedded Franco was in Hitlers pocket, even though
Hitler didn't really like Franco who had his own "camps".

True words. Interesting side note, and a lot of people in Spain have no issues with Franco - and another interesting side note is that Hitler helped Franco in the mid 30s…..for those interested in a bit of history, read a couple books by Hemingway and then a book about the Spanish Civil War and then a book about Picasso the painter.

Anyways, Hup Holland!!!!!!!!!!

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 8, 2010, 10:23 a.m.

Can I say that both France and Italy retreated in the face of overwhelming superiority?

July 8, 2010, 1:43 p.m.

July 8, 2010, 2:29 p.m.

True words. Interesting side note, and a lot of people in Spain have no issues with Franco - and another interesting side note is that Hitler helped Franco in the mid 30s…..for those interested in a bit of history, read a couple books by Hemingway and then a book about the Spanish Civil War and then a book about Picasso the painter.

Anyways, Hup Holland!!!!!!!!!!

My mother is from Bilbao, most my mothers family is from Bermeo, but we "had"
a lot of family in Gernika before Hitler "helped" Franco. My G-parents spent time
in prison because they were accused of speaking Basque.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 8, 2010, 8:08 p.m.

ps. maybe someone mentioned this already but the whole "Deutschland uber Alles" bit of the song was to promote nationalistic feelings among the many minor factions that made up Germany. It meant "the nation state over your city state" and not "the nation state over all other nation states."

So take your pick, it's either ok to use it in modern context, or we go to its historical context in which case it is also ok.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

July 8, 2010, 9:36 p.m.

This world cup thread is very serious

http://video.canadiancontent.net/43720662-family-guy-german-tour.html

Vamos la Roja!

July 9, 2010, 12:25 a.m.

This world cup thread is very serious

More like some parts are stupid.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 9, 2010, 9:12 a.m.

psychic octopus votes when he wants to. spoiler here.

July 10, 2010, 8:11 a.m.

The octo oracle will be wrong! Netherlands must win!

I've picked Uruguay for the 3rd Place match today. I think Germany will be deflated after losing to Sapin, but Uruguay will be ready to go with Forlan looking to the Golden Boot, and I Can't Remember His Name coming back from suspension.

July 10, 2010, 8:52 a.m.

uruguay ftw, they'll just handball any weak tcherman attempts and win on penalties

July 10, 2010, 9:03 a.m.

Fockers.

Germany FT3!

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

July 10, 2010, 10:35 a.m.

The octo oracle will be wrong! Netherlands must win!

I've picked Uruguay for the 3rd Place match today. I think Germany will be deflated after losing to Sapin, but Uruguay will be ready to go with Forlan looking to the Golden Boot, and I Can't Remember His Name coming back from suspension.

Suarez

German team has the flu bug, so some players may not be fit. :(

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells