Who needs a budget?

March 22, 2017, 7:36 p.m.

Deficit time again today.  Spend it like it's not your money.  I like how there is now a Housing Registry going to be in place....any bets on capital gains when you sell your house next budget and the collapse of our false economy based on inflated real estate?

No more Canada Savings Bonds, 18 months maternity, some so-so spending in the middle, and the middle finger once again to veterans that offer our freedoms.  Could have been worse, but this one is lacking on many levels where it is needed most and to those it was promised - the middle class.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/2017_federal_budget/highlights-of-wednesdays-federal-budget/ar-BByBEIV?li=AAggNb9

March 22, 2017, 8:37 p.m.

Tax & spend liberals. Foolish to think anything else would have happened. But Mr. Joe Taxpayer, you don't worry & just keep going to work & providing the tax base, while we don't pay attention to any of your needs & instead give away all kinds of money.

Thread killer

March 22, 2017, 10:57 p.m.

wtf?

Last edited by: switch on March 22, 2017, 11:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2017, 11:02 p.m.

Under Harper, Canada had a record deficit of $56 billion ($61 billion adjusted for inflation) in 2010 when the recession (he didn't see) was over and the price of oil was $120 a barrel.

If the barrel would have been at $40-$50 dollars, like today, the deficit would have been over $85 billion!

This deficit of $29.5 billion, if you take into account a $50 barrel of oil, amounts to $22 billion in lost revenue and the deficit would be $7.5 billion.

Can anybody really pretend that the NDP or Conservatives would have had done better?

March 23, 2017, 12:13 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Under Harper, Canada had a record deficit of $56 billion ($61 billion adjusted for inflation) in 2010 when the recession (he didn't see) was over and the price of oil was $120 a barrel.

If the barrel would have been at $40-$50 dollars, like today, the deficit would have been over $85 billion!

This deficit of $29.5 billion, if you take into account a $50 barrel of oil, amounts to $22 billion in lost revenue and the deficit would be $7.5 billion.

Can anybody really pretend that the NDP or Conservatives would have had done better?

You know, Harper bashing never gets old - so you hold onto that as long as you need, like a SJW blanket. Let's talk here and now. Try. I can live with a $29 billion deficit - even though that was an election lie in a massive scale - but point to all of us non Harper bashers where in this budget that $29 billion is creating jobs and economy to you know, eventually pay off this deficit. Simply pulling the Liberal card of spending what you aren't making and adding more taxes does not equal future prosperity. Explain it, I'm all ears.

Last edited by: Zedbra on March 23, 2017, 12:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2017, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: Zedbra

You know, Harper bashing never gets old - so you hold onto that as long as you need, like a SJW blanket. Let's talk here and now. Try. I can live with a $29 billion deficit - even though that was an election lie in a massive scale - but point to all of us non Harper bashers where in this budget that $29 billion is creating jobs and economy to you know, eventually pay off this deficit. Simply pulling the Liberal card of spending what you aren't making and adding more taxes does not equal future prosperity. Explain it, I'm all ears.

So sensitive. Is pointing out the difficulties balancing the budget in an era of cheap oil Harper bashing, or is your crying foul a distraction from the fact that switch had a valid point to make concerning the deficit spending?

I do agree with you, however, and I think there ought to be significant investment in our economy over and above what we will get from infrastructure spending. There was no budget number associated with the innovation and skills plan and I think this is where we should be investing for a stronger economy in the future.  To bash our dear Mr. S Harper though, he should have been doing the same to diversify our economy and pooped the bed.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 23, 2017, 9:36 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 23, 2017, 1:58 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

So sensitive. Is pointing out the difficulties balancing the budget in an era of cheap oil Harper bashing, or is your crying foul a distraction from the fact that switch had a valid point to make concerning the deficit spending?

I do agree with you, however, and I think there ought to be significant investment in our economy over and above what we will get from infrastructure spending. There was no budget number associated with the innovation and skills plan and I think this is where we should be investing for a stronger economy in the future. To bash our dear Mr. S Harper though, he should have been doing the same to diversify our economy and pooped the bed.

Not sensitive, but practical. From the global economic crisis of 2008 to 2015, Harper's government spent deficit money to create over 1.3 million jobs, the best percentage wise of all G7 countries. And they are "Conservative" in their ways. So, our new drama teacher that likes to show up at the Commons once per week blows his campaign promise budget number by over $10.8 billion and no mention of diversity while creating jobs - rather more ways to collect taxes from the stretched middle class and below. 

At least they should do something liberal - legalize weed and tax that shit, watch gang violence drop - win/win.

I know, I know....but Harper!

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5789196-harper-s-claim-to-have-created-1-3-million-jobs-was-mostly-accurate/

Last edited by: Zedbra on March 23, 2017, 1:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2017, 3:31 p.m.

Wasn't  any deficit during the Harper years manufacturered by Harper who unnecessarily  cut taxes so he would then have  a reason to make cuts to programs & spending the purpose of which was to make Canada into a country that was unrecognizable  as Canada but very much like America?   If Harper had succeeded it would have worked but as it is much of what he did has been undone by the libs, he was struck down by the "anyone but harper" vote

March 23, 2017, 3:35 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I do agree with you, however, and I think there ought to be significant investment in our economy over and above what we will get from infrastructure spending. There was no budget number associated with the innovation and skills plan and I think this is where we should be investing for a stronger economy in the future. To bash our dear Mr. S Harper though, he should have been doing the same to diversify our economy and pooped the bed.

Not sensitive, but practical. From the global economic crisis of 2008 to 2015, Harper's government spent deficit money to create over 1.3 million jobs, the best percentage wise of all G7 countries. And they are "Conservative" in their ways. So, our new drama teacher that likes to show up at the Commons once per week blows his campaign promise budget number by over $10.8 billion and no mention of diversity while creating jobs - rather more ways to collect taxes from the stretched middle class and below. 

At least they should do something liberal - legalize weed and tax that shit, watch gang violence drop - win/win.

I know, I know....but Harper!

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5789196-harper-s-claim-to-have-created-1-3-million-jobs-was-mostly-accurate/

How many of those jobs still exist? .....dont count the mc jobs.

Furthermore, do you think Trudeau himself comes up with the budget himself when writing in his journal at night or something?

March 23, 2017, 4:25 p.m.

I still believe legalization is just around the corner (crosses fingers)

For Harper, those are good numbers, although you have to admit, starting right after a global economic meltdown and then riding a resource wave worked out fairly well for his numbers.

Harper left all of our eggs in the tar sands basket and if Trudeau does the same he is screwing us over exactly the same, just in a dreamier package.  

March 23, 2017, 6:09 p.m.

March 23, 2017, 7:02 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

How many of those jobs still exist? .....dont count the mc jobs.

Furthermore, do you think Trudeau himself comes up with the budget himself when writing in his journal at night or something?

Not sure how you would measure this - but creating jobs for 3.5% of a country's population is still in my books a lot better than taxing 90% who are still working.  Taxation is not how you create growth, and Canada is heading down a slippery slope without showing a strong will to investors we are doing more for economic growth through...job growth - not real estate and further taxes on that one avenue.

But...Harper!

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/bank-for-international-settlements-says-canada-is-showing-early-warning-signs-of-financial-crisis

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-15/canada-flagged-recession-bis

March 24, 2017, 8:46 a.m.

Why would you say "but Harper" and then post an article showing that Canadians and our debt has been an increasing problem during his entire tenure?  Are you suggesting that the overheated housing markets and high debt levels are the doing of the Liberals?  But Trudeau?

Back to taxation and growth, it isn't as simple as more tax less growth.  It depends on where the taxes go.  Increasing taxes for infrastructure, for example, increases growth.  It also matters who is getting taxed and at what amount.

March 24, 2017, 10:51 a.m.

No big bang infrastructure projects that I can see from the $29b deficit. Weed taxes could contribute a couple billion if done right. At least those fools didn't mess with cap gains, dividend tax credit etc.

We need a moderate leader of CPC for the next election.

March 24, 2017, 2:36 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

We need a moderate leader of CPC for the next election.

It'll be O'Leary and we all know it.  He is moderately entertaining though.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 24, 2017, 2:40 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Reason: pic thingy no worky