Who is Joseph Kony?

March 15, 2012, 6:16 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_bHzrKzik

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 16, 2012, 3:32 a.m.

I think the target audience has too short of an attention span for the campaign to work.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 16, 2012, 3:09 p.m.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/jason-russell-san-diego-invisible-children-kony-2012-142970255.html

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

March 16, 2012, 3:09 p.m.

Oh snap!

Total schadenfreude.

From NBC San Diego:

A co-founder for Invisible Children was detained in Pacific Beach on Thursday for being drunk in public and masturbating, according to San Diego Police Department.

Jason Russell, 33, was allegedly found masturbating in public, vandalizing cars and possibly under the influence of something, according to Lt. Andra Brown. He was detained at the intersection of Ingraham Street and Riviera Road.

Brown said Russell was acting very strange.

"Due to the nature of the detention, he was not arrested," she said at a press conference. "During the evaluation we learned we probably needed to take him to a medical facility because of statements he was saying."

Police said they received several calls Thursday at 11:30 a.m. of a man in various stages of undress, running through traffic and screaming.

Police described Russell as "in his underwear." He allegedly took off his underwear at one point, but it was back on by the time officers arrived, said Lt. Brown.

Several people attempted to calm him down, according to police. When officers arrived they said he was cooperative.

"He was no problem for the police department however, during the evaluation we learned that we probably needed to take care of him," said Brown at a press conference. "We determined that medical treatment was a better course of action than arrest."

Russell was taken to a medical center after the incident.

Brown said police could not determine that he formed a criminal intent. There are no criminal charges pending because it looks like this is more of a medical situation, she said.

Invisible Children's CEO Ben Keesey released a statement after 1:40 p.m. on Friday saying:

“Jason Russell was unfortunately hospitalized yesterday suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition. He is now receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. The past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday. Jason’s passion and his work have done so much to help so many, and we are devastated to see him dealing with this personal health issue. We will always love and support Jason, and we ask that you give his entire family privacy during this difficult time.”

Russell is one of the the founders responsible for the "Kony 2012" video that recently went viral. He is described on the organization's website as a co-founder and "our grand storyteller and dreamer." Russell is also described as a Christian and father to two children who wants to have nine more children with his wife he calls his "best friend for over 23 years."

The video "Kony 2012" calls for the capture of the Ugandan LRA leader whose fighting tactic involves kidnapping and torturing the country's innocent children.

Russell spoke with NBCSanDiego explaining how the movement was exploding at the organization's headquarters in San Diego.

"There are hundreds and thousands of propaganda - posters, stickers, buttons, t-shirts, that we are putting in boxes and are shipping all over the world," Russell said in a March 8 interview.

March 16, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

^ I love this quote from thecomment section of that article:

"Maybe he was just trying to get adhesive to put up one more Kony poster?"

:lol:

March 16, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_1jnrj5VI

March 16, 2012, 4:37 p.m.

You guys seriously don't see anything tragic in this?

The fact that this guy, no matter what you might think of his methods, spent the greater part of his adult life fighting for this particular issue that he cares greatly about, and when he finally really made a huge breakthrough half the world turned around and flooded him with hate because of a host of reasons owing nothing to the fact that he tried to make a difference and raised a huge amount of awareness on a serious issue?

Even some of the people in the country he originally started the campaign to protect have turned on him in fear, not to mention so many people have been accusing him of being anything from ignorant, to a criminal, to a US military lackey. A lot of that has probably been showing up on his voicemail and personal email.

So the pressure seems to have made the guy completely snap and you guys are proud?

That's really sad.

March 16, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

You guys seriously don't see anything tragic in this?

The fact that this guy, no matter what you might think of his methods, spent the greater part of his adult life fighting for this particular issue that he cares greatly about, and when he finally really made a huge breakthrough half the world turned around and flooded him with hate because of a host of reasons owing nothing to the fact that he tried to make a difference and raised a huge amount of awareness on a serious issue?

Even some of the people in the country he originally started the campaign to protect have turned on him in fear, not to mention so many people have been accusing him of being anything from ignorant, to a criminal, to a US military lackey. A lot of that has probably been showing up on his voicemail and personal email.

So the pressure seems to have made the guy completely snap and you guys are proud?

That's really sad.

I don't really understand your post. Are you saying if someone devotes themselves to a particular issue for long enough, the world is obligated to be nice to them?

If you are going to try to raise awareness or start a campaign against another person, don't be surprised when the feedback you receive isn't all positive. The more people your campaign reaches, the more potential there is for negative feedback. Just because you're trying to do good doesn't mean people aren't going to be skeptical of you/question your motives/think critically about your cause. They may determine that they don't like your cause. Heck, maybe they just don't like you.

I think the pressure really did crack this guy, but when you're trying to start a worldwide campaign you've got to be prepared to deal with the pressure and the consequences of achieving your goal of worldwide awareness.

Am I proud? No. To be honest I don't really care that much. But in this age of social media part of the consequence of something like this is the inevitable Schadenfreude…

Ride, don't slide.

March 16, 2012, 6:23 p.m.

video

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/16/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony#.T2PngBGmhUY

March 16, 2012, 7:47 p.m.

video

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/16/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony#.T2PngBGmhUY

Publicity stunt?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 16, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

Not mine, Reddit's.

March 16, 2012, 11:44 p.m.

He snapped from negative feedback? Man imagine him trying to start a mountain bike company, he'd be in a clocktower in no time.

March 17, 2012, 7:36 a.m.

He came off a little light in the loafers in the video. Maybe the strain of keeping up appearances with his wife and kids, coupled with all the bad press finally got to him?