Whistler Stabbings - WTF?

May 24, 2015, 3:39 p.m.

you seem to miss the key point that it's people from metro van that cause these problems in whistler. whistler locals are tired of people coming up from metro van just to party recklessly and cause mayhem on the may long. that's what the issue is and whistler locals have a right to be tired of it without getting called whiney and whatever other shit got posted up.

Similar idea as the people living at the top of Mountain Highway and their parking issue.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 25, 2015, 12:12 a.m.

you seem to miss the key point that it's people from metro van that cause these problems in whistler. whistler locals are tired of people coming up from metro van just to party recklessly and cause mayhem on the may long. that's what the issue is and whistler locals have a right to be tired of it without getting called whiney and whatever other shit got posted up.

Since when did the internet or this forum have to follow a certain ettiquette (like try to phrase things so the nsmb clique cant criticize your post for grammer or lack of editing)? You seem to have completely missed the point that this thread is about people being stabbed but heaven forbid if someone labels a world wide number one destination resort as whiney because of it.

is there some substance to some of singlecoil's posts? yes, but he went about it in a shitty way so there should be no surprise he got called out for it.

Being called out for it is one thing but alluding to someone's life or lifestyle who's lost friends because he was probably only responsible for being born there and raised where he was is bull shit and you fuckers get to be called out for it. Seriously, he's witnessed his friend(s) die and everyones crassness in their replies speaks volumes both of their personal life and their current mentality.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

May 25, 2015, 8:36 a.m.

Are you guys still arguing about this?

Just stab each other and be done with it!

May 25, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

It's known as Vancouver's Vegas. Whether you know it, admit it or like it are all completely different.

I would have to agree with this^^ altho I would arguably call Whistler Disneyland

A broad generalization perhaps but I have met/known outdoor types who do party (alpine skiers/dh biker) and those who don't (xc skiers,xc biekrs,bike tourers) so whistler out door types tend to be the type who do party compared to say Canmore

Kelowna is a bit of a party town but at least it is also a "real" town

May 25, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

yeah, no 'real' people live in whistler, no 'real' life here either.

May 25, 2015, 11:19 a.m.

I have a friend who lived in whistler 50+ yrs ago when there was nothing and obviously its changed alot

Kelowna has industry [HTML_REMOVED] business besides the disneyland thing so by real I mean something besides care [HTML_REMOVED] feeding of the disneyland machine in other words if not for rec [HTML_REMOVED] partying what other real things exist in a resort town, what else exists in Whistler ? Canmore is the home of the very serious xc types if you tell people you did a marathon they will say oh good for you in canmore they will ask you what your time was

Maybe you don't party and your friends don't party but to say people don't come to whistler to party is to have a somewhat naive view

Along the same lines a railroad Buddy transferd here many years ago from jasper, when asked he said it wasn't the best atmosphere to raise a family

May 25, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

I have a friend who lived in whistler 50+ yrs ago when there was nothing and obviously its changed alot

So by real I mean something besides care [HTML_REMOVED] feeding of the disneyland machine in other words if not for rec [HTML_REMOVED] partying what other real things exist in a resort town, what else exists in Whistler ?

Maybe you don't party and your friends don't party but to say people don't come to whistler to party is to have a somewhat naive view

Along the same lines a railroad Buddy transferd here many years ago from jasper, when asked he said it wasn't the best atmosphere to raise a family

where did I say people don't come here to party? I know plenty of people living real lives, working real jobs, raising real families and working hard contributing to make this town a great place to raise a family, and knowing plenty of people raising well adjusted, active children. I'm so sick of people suggesting this isn't 'real life'.

May 25, 2015, 11:38 a.m.

sure and I know a pro who moved to pemby sounded like buddy was getting away from the party

but whistler is still disney land,and if not for the resort why does it exist how would it exist without the resort and accompanying partying?

the Atmosphere has to be different than a town that does not exist to feed the machine

there are a lot of towns in BC where people don't go to party who goes to PG or Kamloops or Hope or smithrs to party?

we did have a stabbing a year or 2 ago but its was local badasses known-to-police not imported talent

May 25, 2015, 11:53 a.m.

Being called out for it is one thing but alluding to someone's life or lifestyle who's lost friends because he was probably only responsible for being born there and raised where he was is bull shit and you fuckers get to be called out for it. Seriously, he's witnessed his friend(s) die and everyones crassness in their replies speaks volumes both of their personal life and their current mentality.

Thanks man, but it's clear here what people are concerned about is their towns image and having to put up with us city slickers bullshit for 3 nights out of the year and not the human life-cost involved with these sorts of things…which is pretty understandable if its gang-bangers, I lack sympathy for those assholes too, but, if nobody is willing to do anything (like become more strict with enforcement on this weekend) other than point fingers, nothing will change and you can bet next year will be similar and I bet you friends of those affected in this particular incident could end up going back up next year for retribution (assuming its gang related).
As far as people saying whistler isn't real life, take it as a compliment, for 362 days a year, you live in a perceived heaven to many people - maybe we're all a bit jealous, but remember, your heaven is still on earth, so it's subject to earths shitty reality.

May 25, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

Since when did the internet or this forum have to follow a certain ettiquette (like try to phrase things so the nsmb clique cant criticize your post for grammer or lack of editing)? You seem to have completely missed the point that this thread is about people being stabbed but heaven forbid if someone labels a world wide number one destination resort as whiney because of it.

holy shit, have you ever taken this miles away from where it originally was. people can either man up and say mistakes were made or try and rationalize things away to justify their thinking. have fun with whatever you choose.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 25, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

sure and I know a pro who moved to pemby sounded like buddy was getting away from the party

but whistler is still disney land,and if not for the resort why does it exist how would it exist without the resort and accompanying partying?

You are overestimating the size and relevance of the party scene in Whistler. Does it exist? Yes. Do people come here just to party? Yes. I would bet they are in the minority and if they stay in that scene don't live here longer then a couple of years.

The mountains, associated activities and accompanying lifestyle are the draw for the majority and the reason people come here, stay here and live here. It is not to get drunk [HTML_REMOVED] coked at the underground clubs.

the Atmosphere has to be different than a town that does not exist to feed the machine

That's the point. It is different. It is different on purpose. Getting all stabby just doesn't fly with the ehtos of the local scene.

there are a lot of towns in BC where people don't go to party who goes to PG or Kamloops or Hope or smithrs to party?

we did have a stabbing a year or 2 ago but its was local badasses known-to-police not imported talent

This again implies partying and violence are somehow related. They are not. What has been happening in Whistler on May 24 is not the Whistler party scene either. May 24 in Whistler is an anomaly.

It is really pretty simple. It is 16-18 yo High School Students from the Lower Mainland who come up because it has become "tradition" to go to Whistler and melt your face off with booze [HTML_REMOVED] drugs on May 24. I get it, I did it, but we did it in the bush at the back of a field and a bonfire.

Add some good old fashioned high school drama, he said she said bullshit, mix in the booze, which is harder to get than the drugs, throw in the pretend thugs, wannabe thugs, and a few of the real deal gangster types. Throw on top the "real world" problems that exists in places like Surrey etc and it breeds itself.

I'm personally surprised it has taken this long for it to actually happen. I'm even more surprised I decided to wade into this thread.

May 25, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

if nobody is willing to do anything (like become more strict with enforcement on this weekend) other than point fingers, nothing will change

careful, your ignorance on this issue is showing yet again. the following is a quote from a cbc article on the subject, but from what i remember most of the articles on the subject mentioned something similar.

"Whistler RCMP brought in extra police from Vancouver and Squamish in anticipation of problems this May long weekend."

here's the article that quote came from.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/whistler-rcmp-investigate-second-stabbing-on-may-long-weekend-1.3078073

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 25, 2015, 12:47 p.m.

Thanks man, but it's clear here what people are concerned about is their towns image and having to put up with us city slickers bullshit for 3 nights out of the year and not the human life-cost involved with these sorts of things…which is pretty understandable if its gang-bangers, I lack sympathy for those assholes too, but, if nobody is willing to do anything (like become more strict with enforcement on this weekend) other than point fingers, nothing will change and you can bet next year will be similar and I bet you friends of those affected in this particular incident could end up going back up next year for retribution (assuming its gang related).

WRONG. It is already a police state here that weekend. Police are everywhere but can't be everywhere. Your are right though, the concern is the image of the town. The concern is putting an end to the tradition of the 15-20 year old melting there faces off in Whistler village. The concern is a dead teenager in the middle of arguably BC's largest tourism draw.

Can you see how that is really not the best situation for anyone?
Can you see how your no big deal, just another day in Brampton, isn't going to fly here in this situation?

City slickers make this place run. Fun fact for you. It was actually built to extract money out of them.

As far as people saying whistler isn't real life, take it as a compliment, for 362 days a year, you live in a perceived heaven to many people - maybe we're all a bit jealous, but remember, your heaven is still on earth, so it's subject to earths shitty reality.

Heaven doesn't take a weekend off. We are spoiled and intend to keep it that way.

May 25, 2015, 1:51 p.m.

You are overestimating the size and relevance of the party scene in Whistler. Does it exist? Yes. Do people come here just to party? Yes. I would bet they are in the minority and if they stay in that scene don't live here longer then a couple of years.

The mountains, associated activities and accompanying lifestyle are the draw for the majority and the reason people come here, stay here and live here. It is not to get drunk [HTML_REMOVED] coked at the underground clubs.

That's the point. It is different. It is different on purpose. Getting all stabby just doesn't fly with the ehtos of the local scene.

This again implies partying and violence are somehow related. They are not. What has been happening in Whistler on May 24 is not the Whistler party scene either. May 24 in Whistler is an anomaly.

It is really pretty simple. It is 16-18 yo High School Students from the Lower Mainland who come up because it has become "tradition" to go to Whistler and melt your face off with booze [HTML_REMOVED] drugs on May 24. I get it, I did it, but we did it in the bush at the back of a field and a bonfire.

Add some good old fashioned high school drama, he said she said bullshit, mix in the booze, which is harder to get than the drugs, throw in the pretend thugs, wannabe thugs, and a few of the real deal gangster types. Throw on top the "real world" problems that exists in places like Surrey etc and it breeds itself.

People go to VACATION? have FUN in Whistler which usually includes party/booze at some point and I know its been a rite of passage up narth for ski [HTML_REMOVED] bike kids to move south to whistler and live the dream and this happens with the youth from all over Canada and the world for that matter so there is a never ending cycle of transients who go to live the dream which includes the party

So normaly the situ is under control until it isn't, I'm not implying whistler is main and hastings or jane [HTML_REMOVED] finch, just saying you got the makings of more trouble

ARE partying and violence some how related? You could just ask any cop how often domestic disputes include booze? Maybe not the may 24th someone got stabbed action but booze creates problems on a continuum

I been going to whistler for a great many years and besides the ski/bike there was very often a party otherwise why would I or anyone go? the point of whistler is to seperate tourists from their money which includes booze/party, not trying to be nasty but mix booze and lots of people you got more problems, and the fact I can only take Whistler in small doses doesn't have any bearing on that assertion

now if everyone was stoned there would be no problem but pot is of course illegal

May 25, 2015, 9:15 p.m.

whistler is still disney land,a

Yeah look at it this way, if PeeGee is a lumberjack, Vancouver a real estate agent and Victoria a civil servant, then Whistler is buns up and kneelin' 'cause you a 'ho!
Everbody goes to Whistler looking for a thrill, some cheap, some pricey and there'll always be folks wanting something a little different so htfu, eh?

now if everyone was stoned there would be no problem but pot is of course illegal

No c'mon there's a place right up there near Brdwy and Fraser got a great big 20 foot long banner hung over the door that says "Need a Doctors Note? Come In and See One of Our Doctors!".

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.