Whistler Info

Feb. 19, 2016, 8:39 a.m.

Yo,

Been a while, hope everyone here is doing well.

Anyway, headed to whistler in the next month, never been before. Looking for some recommendations. Thinking I will be in whistler for 4 days and then probably cruise around Vancouver for a couple more.

I am not huge in to skiing (but will probably go 2 days), so wondering if anyone has any guides they could recommend for maybe some ice/rock climbing in the area? Or other activities?

Some good restaurants? (bringing the lady)

kthx

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

Feb. 19, 2016, 9:38 a.m.

Keep a close eye on your woman. The ratio in winter is about 21 male Australians to every 1 adult female of any nationality. Lots of swollen balls around.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 19, 2016, 10:50 a.m.

not too much rock climbing in whistler right now. There's the core gym that has indoor rock climbing. Ice climbing i havent heard of much, but its not really my thing.

Theres decent snowshoeing to be had in lots of places.

lots of good restaurants. Sushi Vill, Mexican Corner for more of a party kind of vibe with good food and drinks.
Araxi, bearfoot bistro, rim rock for fine dining
Elements, Alta Bistro, Bar Oso, Red Door for in between.

Feb. 19, 2016, 11:20 a.m.

If you are into rock climbing you might like Squamish

~~~~~~~~~~~

Feb. 19, 2016, 12:16 p.m.

there is some ice north of whistler, duffey to lillooet.

take your chick to araxi, trattoria or if you are feeling spendy, rim rock.

Feb. 19, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

21 Steps. (Restaurant, not climbing, lol)

Thread killer

Feb. 19, 2016, 7:05 p.m.

Recent weather has not been kind to ice routes. Most of the go to areas have melted out. You could easily spend an entire day driving around looking for something in decent enough shape to climb. I wouldn't recommend it on a short vacation.

FB group for West Coast Ice https://www.facebook.com/groups/1640108706242206/

Feb. 22, 2016, 5:56 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys!

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

Feb. 23, 2016, 9:15 p.m.

Hey everyone,

Is the snowpack good enough this year to ride Blackcomb to the base? We'll be there the week after Telus, April 18th ish. Ski-in/out places are cheaper at that time but it would only be worth it if we can still ski out.

Also, does it look like Whistler will close after Telus as it has in the past, and only Blackcomb will be open after April 18th? It's been awhile since I've been there in the spring and don't know if things have changed.

Feb. 23, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

If you were to put a gun to my head and force me to pick, I'd say that on April 18th the color of the ground near the Benchland's hotels would look more brown than white.

Feb. 23, 2016, 10 p.m.

Hey everyone,

Is the snowpack good enough this year to ride Blackcomb to the base? We'll be there the week after Telus, April 18th ish. Ski-in/out places are cheaper at that time but it would only be worth it if we can still ski out.

Also, does it look like Whistler will close after Telus as it has in the past, and only Blackcomb will be open after April 18th? It's been awhile since I've been there in the spring and don't know if things have changed.

My best guess to your two questions is probably and probably but you are asking us to tell the future so who knows.

Feb. 24, 2016, 5:57 a.m.

http://www.totallyawesomeadventures.com/

I would give Ray Mason a call and go ride the pemberton ice cap with him.

Feb. 24, 2016, 7:08 a.m.

Hey everyone,

what's a blackcomb? guns have been going again on lower dave murray to top up the base the past couple of days as the temps dropped overnight, not sure what's happening up north…..spring is always a crapshoot with ski outs and we're still 2 months from then

Feb. 24, 2016, 7:40 a.m.

what's a blackcomb? guns have been going again on lower dave murray to top up the base the past couple of days as the temps dropped overnight, not sure what's happening up north…..spring is always a crapshoot with ski outs and we're still 2 months from then

Ya, hopefully it cools off again and some more snow falls down low. It's still to early for mountain biking.

Feb. 24, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

Ya, hopefully it cools off again and some more snow falls down low. It's still to early for mountain biking.

agree 100%….last year this time we'd been riding for 3 weeks already in the valley! a walk about in cheakamus sunday indicates that we are not there yet, and likely a couple weeks away from clear trails with current weather conditions persisting.