Where will I live? Need some help

June 26, 2012, 10:32 a.m.

You may be tempted to live near the beach (I was) - DON'T

When I was in Vancouver (five years) my car went months without moving. Even on the weekends it seems like a shit show. Saturdays in Kits were worse than rush hour.

If I had to drive in that everyday I think I would have gone mental. Hence, I lived within biking distance of work and school. In the end I really didn't make as much use of all Van has to offer as I would have had I not had to deal with bridges.

June 26, 2012, 10:58 a.m.

A couple of points re. bridges for any locals. Firstly, despite the gain in elevation, you are not actually flying. Secondly, when you are going up, I know you can't see down the other side but believe me, it is there. You don't just drop into the water. With these points in mind, it is perfectly safe to drive over a bridge at the same speed as when you are on the ground.

Thank you.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 26, 2012, 12:22 p.m.

A couple of points re. bridges for any locals. Firstly, despite the gain in elevation, you are not actually flying. Secondly, when you are going up, I know you can't see down the other side but believe me, it is there. You don't just drop into the water. With these points in mind, it is perfectly safe to drive over a bridge at the same speed as when you are on the ground.

Thank you.

How do you bring 100 000 vancouverites to a screaming halt?

Build a bridge with a slight curve in it.

June 26, 2012, 1:29 p.m.

I live in North Burnaby in a very nice condo by Brentwood. I can be over the second narrows bridge to the north shore in under 15 minutes in anything but the absolute worst rush hour traffic. Ditto to downtown, 15 minutes in most conditions, 25 in rush hour. (Both driving). I pay about $400/month less than I would for the identical apartment in Yaletown and the bonus of living here is that it is MUCH quieter at night which I really appreciate. I have a 710 square foot apartment that would be considered the highest quality and appointment available for a 1 bedroom in Burnaby - lived here since brand new (2.5 years old), high floor, mountain view, gas stove, hardwood floors, etc and I pay $1195 a month in rent.

I have a new job downtown and will be moving there so I can walk to work but for the time I worked in Burnaby, I have been very happy living here and it really is the best of many worlds in my opinion.

Hope that helps,
Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

June 26, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

I start the climb up Fromme from my front door.

:clap::woot:

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 26, 2012, 2:01 p.m.

How do you bring 100 000 vancouverites to a screaming halt?
Build a bridge with a slight curve in it.

Almost. Bridges for Vancouverites, curves for Albertans.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 26, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

I'd argue not curves, but the introduction of a left hand lane, one that they are required by order of Jesus to drive in.

June 26, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

high floor,

As apposed to a hardwood ceiling? :???:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 26, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

As apposed to a hardwood ceiling? :???:

Err what? I said quite clearly it has hardwood floors and is located on a high floor of the building for a better view…

June 26, 2012, 9:46 p.m.

Err what? I said quite clearly it has hardwood floors and is located on a high floor of the building for a better view…

No it wasn't "quite clear". You stated "high floor" without a qualifier.
To have said the "upper floor of building" would have been more precise. Whatever. :deadhorse: :lol:
Do you hear the squeal of Millennium Line wheels at all hours? :P

Back to the OP, my non-rush hour drive to Burnaby Mtn. (bottom of Gaglardi) from 1st [HTML_REMOVED] Commercial environs; 15 mins. +/- .
So Fromme or Seymour will be similar.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 26, 2012, 10:34 p.m.

No it wasn't "quite clear". You stated "high floor" without a qualifier.
To have said the "upper floor of building" would have been more precise. Whatever. :deadhorse: :lol:
Do you hear the squeal of Millennium Line wheels at all hours? :P

Back to the OP, my non-rush hour drive to Burnaby Mtn. (bottom of Gaglardi) from 1st [HTML_REMOVED] Commercial environs; 15 mins. +/- .
So Fromme or Seymour will be similar.

I hear no sky train noise at all… I specifically picked my apartment which is on the North side of Lougheed looking straight North at the mountains. I suspect the people on the other side of the building which faces the sky train may not have the same experience though…

Mark

June 27, 2012, midnight

At 2AM I hear that damn train over by the Barnett. That sound really carries.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 27, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

… I specifically picked my apartment which is on the North side of Lougheed looking straight North at the mountains. I suspect the people on the other side of the building which faces the sky train may not have the same experience though…

Mark

No shit, eh?

I'm 7 blocks from the Skytrain line and can hear those rubber wheels howling in the distance at night.

June 27, 2012, 10:40 a.m.

Merge lanes also mess up Albertans.

June 27, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

I hear no sky train noise at all… I specifically picked my apartment which is on the North side of Lougheed looking straight North at the mountains. I suspect the people on the other side of the building which faces the sky train may not have the same experience though…

Mark

Skytrain is quieter than a lot of vehicles on the road, IMHO.

At 2AM I hear that damn train over by the Barnett. That sound really carries.

I hear the whistle of that train across the inlet … its pretty cool to hear it echoing like a loon-call off the mountains in the quiet of the morning.

You may be tempted to live near the beach (I was) - DON'T

When I was in Vancouver (five years) my car went months without moving. Even on the weekends it seems like a shit show. Saturdays in Kits were worse than rush hour.

If I had to drive in that everyday I think I would have gone mental. Hence, I lived within biking distance of work and school. In the end I really didn't make as much use of all Van has to offer as I would have had I not had to deal with bridges.

Why there is no ample parking around nice beaches is one of the enduring mysteries of the Cosmos. :) Its a bummer of a problem to have if you are a local. /esarc

No shit, eh?

I'm 7 blocks from the Skytrain line and can hear those rubber wheels howling in the distance at night.

Well, that must really suck. They should swap out those electric motors that run off the Hydro grid and their damn regenerative braking systems for some gasoline or diesel powered engines that run exclusively on the lowest-grade tar sands oil … that'll fix the squeaking. Cuz nobody should have to put up with that kind of inconvenience.