Where should I travel.

Sept. 23, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

Interesting that a lot of people put Europe on the top of the list…..I'd say other places have great ruins and lots of history, too.

There are so many beautiful places to see - why not simply take a map of the world, or the continent you're likely to go to, and throw a dart?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 23, 2014, 12:12 p.m.

Most of the countries in Central america are pretty ideal for your time frame, after hurricane season but before Xmas holiday season. You could see most of one in a week or two and they are easy to get to.

I did Belize a few years back and liked it. Did some great diving and snorkeling, some sailing, got lit up on cheap rum, checked out some cool caves (google ATM cave) and went to Tikal in Guatemala. The only disappointment was no sandy beaches. but we got by…

Belize would be great if you have just a week. Cancun is another nearby option that's easy to get off the tourist track yet has tons to do and see. If you take more than a week you might want to check out Nicaragua, Guatemala or CR. I have friends who have been to those and loved them. Nicaragua got highest votes (not as touristy or full of 'mericans as CR which can turn into a long weekend party spot at times)

Sept. 23, 2014, 12:53 p.m.

Turkey is a great spot. Lots of variety. Very involved history. Amazing food.

Otherwise - Europe.

Loved Istanbul. Such a mix of cultures. Clash of modern and traditional, both in the people and the architecture.

Effing excellent food, even at random hole in the wall places. Not a great place for a vegetarian, though. Meat culture rules!

Also, I was impressed by their electrical standards;

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 23, 2014, 12:58 p.m.

Loved Istanbul. Such a mix of cultures. Clash of modern and traditional, both in the people and the architecture.

Effing excellent food, even at random hole in the wall places. Not a great place for a vegetarian, though. Meat culture rules!

Was this just some random place? I'm headed there in Feb next year and that looks delicious.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Sept. 24, 2014, 7:50 a.m.

that beer is good it came with a deck of Efes cards

Sept. 27, 2014, 8:33 p.m.

I'm headed there in Feb next year and that looks delicious.

Iskender Kabap. Go. Eat.

Sept. 28, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

Was this just some random place? I'm headed there in Feb next year and that looks delicious.

Yah, it pretty much was a random choice. Wife and I have a habit of wandering just a little off the beaten path when we travel. We'll go the obvious sightseeing points (eg., Blue Mosque and the like) but we'll head away from the hottest spots to see a little more than the typical tour bus shite.

That place was called the New Hatay Kebap and Fish House (I took a pic of the sign). All these restaurants have guys at the door, aggressively trying to tempt people to eat at their place. I guess we fell for the spiel at the Hatay, plus they had some neat outdoor booth seating on a steep hill. Looked decently clean so we bought the story. That said, there will be no end of awesome kebap joints in Istanbul.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d3513475-Reviews-New_Hatay_Restaurant_Kebab_Fish_House-Istanbul.html

Also, best way to get around is the tram. Cheap, and way faster than traffic. Some of the most horrible traffic I've seen anywhere. Wife and I walked 10 blocks faster than the cars.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.