when reporters get owned

April 19, 2016, 8:55 p.m.

I do think that millions of dollars chucked at the shitty CBC buys a loaded question or two. I can feel that $30 billion balance beam tilting right towards your pocket.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 19, 2016, 9:11 p.m.

I like the CBC.

Who else would bring you The Beachcombers, Stompin' Tom Connors, and The Rita MacNeil Show?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 19, 2016, 9:13 p.m.

Who else would bring you The Beachcombers, Stompin' Tom Connors, and The Rita MacNeil Show?

Or curling. :scream::scream:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 19, 2016, 9:33 p.m.

We've got four TSN channels that bring us curling. And skins five pin bowling.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 19, 2016, 9:38 p.m.

no idea how they work, but d-wave computers are badass

they look good and portable too!

April 19, 2016, 11:11 p.m.

They should skip the basic quantum system and go wstraight to a duotronic system with isolinear chips.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 20, 2016, 7:53 a.m.

We had one and ousted home a few months ago.

wat?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 20, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

I do think that millions of dollars chucked at the shitty CBC buys a loaded question or two. I can feel that $30 billion balance beam tilting right towards your pocket.

I think that the CBC is important to Canada but we can disagree on that. I have never been a guy that only worries about lowering my taxes and never will be. Government spending plays an important role in the economy that private spending never can replace. I still live well… no complaints.

April 20, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

a basic understanding of quantum computing like most other people.

Lol. I have a degree in physics and used to work (a few decades back) with a bunch of the guys from dwave at a defunct local company that was using SQUID magnetometers to build brains scan equipment (MEG). Same basic underlying technology as the Dwave system.

I still have beers with one of the guys from time to time, and have repeatedly asked him to explain to me how to translate a given problem such that the Dwave system can solve it (i.e. how do you "program" the Dwave computer?). He laughed and admitted that it's incredibly hard to explain, to the point that he actually couldn't really do it and it seemed he wasn't even entirely sure he understood it himself, despite having worked for them in a technical roll for years.

While it's not that hard to explain quantum entanglement, superpositioning, etc., etc. in layman's terms, "a basic understanding of quantum computing like most other people" basically comes down to "WTF?!?"

April 20, 2016, 10:43 a.m.

Lol. I have a degree in physics and used to work (a few decades back) with a bunch of the guys from dwave at a defunct local company that was using SQUID magnetometers to build brains scan equipment (MEG). Same basic underlying technology as the Dwave system.

I still have beers with one of the guys from time to time, and have repeatedly asked him to explain to me how to translate a given problem such that the Dwave system can solve it (i.e. how do you "program" the Dwave computer?). He laughed and admitted that it's incredibly hard to explain, to the point that he actually couldn't really do it and it seemed he wasn't even entirely sure he understood it himself, despite having worked for them in a technical roll for years.

While it's not that hard to explain quantum entanglement, superpositioning, etc., etc. in layman's terms, "a basic understanding of quantum computing like most other people" basically comes down to "WTF?!?"

The SQUID array is hundreds of thousands VLSI Jospheson Junctions packaged onto a chip. They are basically tiny magnets (dipoles) in an array/lattice (a ferromagetic Ising lattice, for those of you keeping score on the material science side) with current bias connectors. The data from your problem is input as current biases on the junctions and the lattice of magnetic dipoles evolves to its ground (lowest energy) state - it is a variational method solving for an energy minimum. Or at least, that's what I understand. But WTF do I know, I work at MacDonalds.

DWave and their partners have software PL compiler interfaces for python and C/C++ and you can, in theory, ask for time on the machine/s. Since there is probably not a huge market for $10 million computers that only solve certain types of problems, I guessing they will probably just build them and put them on the Cloud for people to rent time on.

Of course, there is still no guarantee that this particular method(some people are unconvinced that it is truly "quantum" vis-Ã -vis exhibiting tunneling and entanglement effects) or widely applicable to big computing problems or only the fastest solution method (compared to a conventional computer) for specific outlier classes of problems.

http://www.dwavesys.com/tutorials/background-reading-series/introduction-d-wave-quantum-hardware

April 20, 2016, 10:48 a.m.

Your friend should talk to Trudeau to get the scoop… ;)

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 20, 2016, 11:04 a.m.

wow - some serious refrigeration in this system:

April 20, 2016, 11:08 a.m.

The SQUID array is hundreds of thousands VLSI Jospheson Junctions packaged onto a chip.

VLSI implies a lot items on a chip.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

April 20, 2016, 11:56 a.m.

VLSI implies a lot items on a chip.

The chip is a 28-14 nm line width design.

April 20, 2016, 12:10 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3Oncvz_cU