When is it time to put on the winter tires?

Jan. 3, 2016, 11:20 p.m.

Vredestein, Hankook, and Nokian have all weather tires.

Kal Tire sells the Nokian WR tires. A friend used them and said they were decent in the winter until they started to near the half way point on wear. Good in the other seasons. Fairly expensive, but probably last a fair bit longer than a snow tire. It's a compromise.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 4, 2016, 12:23 p.m.

My "new" car sucks balls in the slippy slidey arena (As in: No Fun)
RWD = Best, most fun
AWD = Can be fun too at least
FWD = Sucks a nut…always has sucked and still sucks

Jan. 4, 2016, 12:51 p.m.

RWD = Best, most fun

New RWD sucks with all the electronic nannies. I can turn mine off but top gear has shown me most are fairly permanent.

Jan. 4, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

The 1st time I drove a front wheel drive was a shinny new civic at kingsway honda and so after a little chitchat the salesman lites up a joint rather unusual eh?

Altho I'm headed for the curb at the 1st sporty corner buddy didn't flinch he just suggests between tokes that "yeah man they handle different eh?"

So I took his advice and learned to drive a front wheel drive really really good

Jan. 4, 2016, 2:34 p.m.

RWD = Best, most fun

Summs it up nicely..

Jan. 4, 2016, 2:42 p.m.

I can make a front wheel drive do whatever I want it too. AWD is preferred, my 2wd Dakota with posi is a drift King in the wet and basically useless in the snow.

Jan. 4, 2016, 11:41 p.m.

Don't get me wrong…the FWD is studded up and goes anywhere it needs to go. I can turn off the Traction control, but don't see any button for the Stability control.
Anyways…can't have fun spinning wheels when it just power slides the front …doesn't take much with this under the hood:dizzy:

Jan. 5, 2016, 2:06 a.m.

AWD SUV. Disable traction control, enable AWD lock. Rear wheels will spin.

I've done some really fast and really tight donuts in the snow.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 5, 2016, 5:20 a.m.

Any thoughts on choosing all weather tires with the snowflake symbol for use in the lower mainland / occasional trips to whistler / interior, apparently they perform better on wet asphalt than true winter tires. Current winter tires are nearly done and performance has definitely declined (still superior to the other tires). We have a set of chains anyway for when things get terrible…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a pretty ardent winter tire advocate so take that with a grain of salt. I used to run winters when I lived in Van, although the car was mostly for out of town trips to the mountains.

Like Switch said there are some excellent All Weather(not all season) tires out there. I owned some WRG2s a while back and thought they were excellent. Arguably better than some winter tires in the snow.

Not cheap but cheaper and easier than two sets. They drop in ability when they get up there in mileage.

Jan. 5, 2016, 6:51 a.m.

Winter tires are not the magic bullet to cure bad drivers. Shitty drives are going to continue to cause all of the above even with mandated winter tires.

Yep. Funny last winter to see so many being pulled out of the ditch with winter tires on.

And even insurance companies don't agree what is best.
http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2015/11/09/readers-puzzled-by-snow-tire-insurance-discount-mayers.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 5, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

Drove up to the interior on Dec 27th to get some good uncrowded BC skiing in.
Just put brand new Arctic Claws on my Subaru Outback
They slayed on the Coq where it was full on carnage.

I don't mind flipping the wheels over for winter,
Although its a big cost up front they will last a few years rotating between the two sets.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch