what would you give to help children?

Nov. 30, 2013, 12:19 p.m.

so let's say there's an organization that helps children and while it focuses on kids in a poverty situation they could really come from any socio-economic background or have any sort of problem. this organization may not necessarily be one that directly solves an issue of say abuse, neglect or psychological issues as there are professionals for that, but it may be one that helps kids get to the help they need or simply act as a friend in the background, someone who just listens. and it's not just about direct one-on-one help, but think of it as a community, that the organization functions as one unit where each person has the same goal of making a child's life better even though they may never meet a child that's being helped.

what would you give? how much would you be willing to help? donate a few dollars or a few hours of time? as a parent would you be willing to let another child spend an hour or two with you and your kid? would you be willing to spend a day on the weekend learning the basics of how to deal with an underprivelged child?

it's just a thought; it's not like there's anything in the works and i'm sure there's already similar organizations set-up but i'm just curious.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 30, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

I used to sponsor a kid in Rwanda soon after the shit fest, anyways Eric was a baller and every Christmas I buy some cool animal for them to slaughter. feels good man

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

Nov. 30, 2013, 2:42 p.m.

We used to call these organizations "neighborhoods".

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 30, 2013, 3:33 p.m.

Nothing. Kids are annoying.

Nov. 30, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

…as a parent would you be willing to let another child spend an hour or two with you and your kid? would you be willing to spend a day on the weekend learning the basics of how to deal with an underprivelged child?

This part is very interesting. I am trying to spoonfeed our kids the idea that they are insanely lucky to be living where we do and have access to the schools, health care etc..they do. So yes, I would be willing to do that.

Nov. 30, 2013, 10:13 p.m.

splinky -

http://www.uwlm.ca/

Dec. 1, 2013, 1:17 a.m.

I really like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVbQuxok0I

Dec. 1, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

become a Big Brother. I did that for a year in Whistler, was a lot of fun.

Dec. 1, 2013, 10:49 a.m.

I stop giving to human charities years ago. Other species need way more help than the plague of humanity.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 1, 2013, 7:57 p.m.

I teach children from the age of 3 and up and it takes so much energy out of me I feel I can't add anymore to the helping kids karma, I also volunteer my teaching at an orphanage about twice a month.

As it is I've already helped a lot of psychologically damaged kids learn how to exist in a classroom and begin participating in a positive way. That shit gets crazy sometimes..

www.natooke.com

Dec. 2, 2013, 11:49 a.m.

I teach children from the age of 3 and up and it takes so much energy out of me I feel I can't add anymore to the helping kids karma, I also volunteer my teaching at an orphanage about twice a month.

As it is I've already helped a lot of psychologically damaged kids learn how to exist in a classroom and begin participating in a positive way. That shit gets crazy sometimes..

Same here, just with an older student's group. Mine are aged 10 to 18/19, and if I get them to appreciate trying to understand new ideas and the idea that life-long learning may be the most fun, then I have more or less succeeded.

I teach English and History with a focus on German and European history. I work because I believe it is the right thing to do for me. Sort of like my dream that can be a proper nightmare at times.

I do have an idea though. It involves a local cycling club and children from not-so-well off areas and their bikes. getting kids from problem areas into the woods for some proper mountain biking.

Other than that, I am thinking about adopting a child financially, but am not so sure whether it will be the third world or a child living in Germany or Europe, because right now it is possible to support children in Europe as well.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer