What to do with 40L of old diesel?

Nov. 7, 2012, 5:37 p.m.

pour the diesel in the ocean and call it a day.

Nov. 7, 2012, 7:24 p.m.

Biodiesel has a shelf life of about 6 months; not good for storage at all. So be careful when you buy the fuel. For our standby generator fuel we use winter diesel; apparently it doesn't have biodiesel in it. Means we have to top up our diesel tanks when winter fuel is available. If the tank is sealed properly it lasts for quite a while a couple of years anyway.

Nov. 7, 2012, 7:26 p.m.

Straw said it was stored in a garage so I'm guessing it wouldn't have water in it.

That said, my van does have a water seperator on it.

When I was transfering all the old boat fuel to the van I was making sure that it looked clear and that the screen in the funnel was catching any debris. It was also run through the boat's fuel filter [HTML_REMOVED] seperator system when transfering from the boat tanks to the portable containers.

Keep arguing with a guy who fixes diesel fuel issues for a living. And has a seen every scenario possible

Nov. 7, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

fire. fire is good

Nov. 7, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

fire. fire is good

Fire is good. Explosions are better!!

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Nov. 7, 2012, 10:22 p.m.

fire. fire is good

wall of fire is better.

Nov. 7, 2012, 10:32 p.m.

I think I'd rather spend my "lifestyle" time riding my bike, hiking, snowshoeing, camping [HTML_REMOVED] road triping rather than hanging around alleys behind restaurants and in my garage processing fuel.

Same here but on the other hand what if you could drive a 15passenger ford van from Oregon-AK-Oregon for 0$?

usually people running WVO ask the resturant owner and if they have some to get rid of they will let you take it instead of paying to have it disposed of

we were sitting on main grabbing an icecream buddy sees the japanese resturant across the street and is gone, comes back smiling 15 min later with a full cube (big square container that grease comes in) of WVO and an empty

I know another guy localy who delivers fire wood with an old ford flat deck running on grease, I drove the shuttle for a DH race and it ran kind of funny but it was free fuel

there are also people out there who farm and make their own bio diesel

Nov. 8, 2012, 5:12 a.m.

the best is a 2 tank system where you start [HTML_REMOVED] stop on diesel and only switch to run the WVO when the engine and the heated WVO is warmed up completely, the old mercedes or the 7.3 fords are the best candidates for WVO so older tech engines without direct injection, there are lots of parts around and its cheap to platy with them

This is the only real viable way to to the wvo thing right now,or blending it with diesel.

The best candidates are actually non electronic japanese diesels or old GM 6.2 pick ups. either of these will run on damn near anything and are more or less designed for shitty fuel.

I worked on a guy's experiment to run a backhoe on wvo….didnt work out so well,it was not bad for driving but had no power for digging. The wvo kept separating as well and carboned up the injectors and pump.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 8, 2012, 6:21 a.m.

wall of fire is better.

fight fire with fire. fuckin germans

Nov. 13, 2012, 6:37 p.m.

Well, since diesel fuel doesn't burn at room temperature, you'll have to have quite the fire burning already before you can get the diesel to burn.

At which time it's just as likely to blow up in your face as you pour it onto the blaze.

Kn.

have you ever tried to openly burn diesel?

Its not very hard to do….

Kn.

Nov. 13, 2012, 7:03 p.m.

Interesting and somewhat related note to the bio-diesel discussion;

We have a company coming to site next week that is working on building a test plant that will convert natural gas (?? might have been propane, I'll find out next week) to diesel. The cost will be higher than conventional diesel / bio-diesel, but it has much lower NO2 and DPM emissions, which makes it a VERY interesting option, especially as MSHA continues to tighten their DPM limits, despite no science to back up this change.

Should be interesting. As the engineer in charge of ventilation, I really like the sounds of it.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 13, 2012, 7:10 p.m.

Well, since diesel fuel doesn't burn at room temperature, you'll have to have quite the fire burning already before you can get the diesel to burn.

At which time it's just as likely to blow up in your face as you pour it onto the blaze.

Kn.

It's dumb ass answers like this that give engineers a bad name.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

Nov. 13, 2012, 7:54 p.m.

If heated above 100 F, yes. If not, then no. If you have evidence to the contrary, take it up with OSHA and NFPA, since that's what they've based the class II combustible liquid standard on.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:47 p.m.

Biodiesel has a shelf life of about 6 months; not good for storage at all. So be careful when you buy the fuel. For our standby generator fuel we use winter diesel; apparently it doesn't have biodiesel in it. Means we have to top up our diesel tanks when winter fuel is available. If the tank is sealed properly it lasts for quite a while a couple of years anyway.

My brother in-law actually has a profitable little side business in Australia running around filtering diesel fuel that is in storage. I can't remember the government mandated biofuel mixtures they have over there but hot Aussie sun + bio-diesel fuel = sludge. He has a mobile filter unit that scrubs the fuel to extend it's storage life.

Makes you wonder how much carbon emission are actually being reduced after all the extra handling required on a litre of fuel.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

If heated above 100 F, yes. If not, then no. If you have evidence to the contrary, take it up with OSHA and NFPA, since that's what they've based the class II combustible liquid standard on.

Kn.