What the HELL is everyone doing right now to occupy themselves? I'm going crazy...

April 16, 2020, 4:04 p.m.

If I hear one more motherfucker with a yard and deck complain about being stuck inside I'm gonna lose it...

We have a 700 sq ft apartment and I feel like I'm in prison. What are you all doing to stay sane inside? New hobbies and activities? What are you doing with your kids / pets? My little guy is a ragged mess at the end of the day from having way too much energy and nowhere to spend it, no matter how much we try to occupy him.

Thoughts / suggestions / ideas / vent with me so I don't feel so alone in feeling crazy?

Last edited by: thaaad on April 16, 2020, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 16, 2020, 4:35 p.m.

I bought a video game console controller and clip for my phone. I've have been playing stupid video games with it for like 45 minutes a day. I've been watching a bunch of cooking on youtube. Movies, books, etc. Can't help on the kid front, sorry.

April 16, 2020, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

If I hear one more motherfucker with a yard and deck complain about being stuck inside I'm gonna lose it...

We have a 700 sq ft apartment and I feel like I'm in prison. What are you all doing to stay sane inside? New hobbies and activities? What are you doing with your kids / pets? My little guy is a ragged mess at the end of the day from having way too much energy and nowhere to spend it, no matter how much we try to occupy him.

Thoughts / suggestions / ideas / vent with me so I don't feel so alone in feeling crazy?

Where are you? Not allowed outside?

April 16, 2020, 5:44 p.m.

Go outside, keep your kid close, and other people 3m away. You don’t have to stay inside all the time.

April 16, 2020, 5:59 p.m.

First world problems.

April 16, 2020, 6:24 p.m.

Kids with too much energy are terrifying.

We've been going outside and playing pass or catch daily to keep sane. My kids can't throw/kick far, so doesn't take much space. We play in probably a 10'x30' strip of grass. 

Yesterday we skateboarded, same thing with space. A sad little 15'x15'patch of concrete. They leaned into it and even built little wood wedges to ride up.

Simple bike rides on the block if they're old enough to ride, or in a front bike seat if they're wee tykes.

They did a nature assignment identifying and measuring plants & leaves yesterday which burned a large amount of time outdoors.

My kids have also come up with their own bizarre calisthenics routine which I'm pretty sure is completely ineffective but they like it and do it regularly.

April 16, 2020, 6:54 p.m.

I built my kids two small wooden jumps very early on during Spring Break as I knew they weren't going back to school / daycare. We set them up in the now empty car park at the back of our building that was usually reserved for the local stores.

They were fun for a while. We now have taken one of the jumps down to the local park where there is a big grass bank and the jump now sits at the bottom of this. There is a steady procession of neighbourhood kids hitting the jump now on any given day :)

Luckily we have an OK sized patio, so we use chalk for hopscotch, drawings, puzzles etc. And the beach is only a 10 mins walk away so loads of time hunting for shells, crabs and litter removal.

Can you imagine living in Spain where all children are banded from going outside at all? I think I'd needing therapy by now.

April 17, 2020, 12:03 a.m.

I tore down my bikes (Like, every fastener disassembled and threads cleaned level), cleaned and lubed including servicing the rear shock which was new challenge to me.   Still working on them (n+1 is a good problem in this case)

April 17, 2020, 12:04 a.m.

And the black moldy shit in my window frames is gone and new shelves installed in my closet.

April 17, 2020, 12:05 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

I tore down my bikes (Like, every fastener disassembled and threads cleaned level), cleaned and lubed including servicing the rear shock which was new challenge to me.   Still working on them (n+1 is a good problem in this case)

I love doing this at the end of every season.  I bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean every last piece.

I suspect this is the same feeling gun people have.

April 17, 2020, 8:52 a.m.

In a stroke of genius, I left my garage in terrible disarray before the pandemic so now I always have something to do in the house.

April 17, 2020, 10:16 a.m.

My buddy came up with a brilliant idea to keep the kids entertained. He bought a bunch of little toys from the dollar store and froze them in food coloured ice cubes. They sit outside with a hammer and smash them to get the toy.

April 17, 2020, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

i sympathize with you guys who have kids. it's got to be so much harder right now, and those who live in apartments, and condo's, oi, it's gotta be tough. we live in a small house, but i won't complain because it's merely small, not tiny. 

i'm riding a fair bit. not supposed to, the trail networks are discouraging it, but i am. many of us are here on the mid Island. mostly just myself or with my wife. haven't been on any kind of group ride since last fall. 

for what it's worth, i know some truly unhappy, nay utterly miserable people. my buddy lives in a 12,000 sq foot Shaughnessey mansion (no mortgage, ultra high net worth) and his wife is a monstrous cunt of a witch. she get's more miserable by the day and makes his life hell. i guess it's tough all over when you haven't worked in a decade and don't have to think about how you will ever retire and what that life will look like. life at the top of the kingdom is harder than you think it is. deciding which Vancouver healer guru to give all your husbands income to is a tough decision and as i've discovered, there are A LOT of Vancouver healer gurus to choose from!

I have a 7-year-old daughter but I can't complain.  She is an only child, loves to read and knows how to keep herself busy.  I have a trailer bike behind my wife's comfort bike and we ride around town to get fresh air.  I look like a tool but I am 47 and have few shits to give.  I am in a townhouse but we have a deck and a garden below so it's not so bad.

Mo money mo problems I guess JBV.  LOL.

April 17, 2020, 3:44 p.m.

we got it pretty good, we live in a semi-rural area in the kootenays, on an acre and a half. kids keep themselves busy by the river, trampoline, play with the chickens, video games, and on a rare occasion, school work. we ride to the store for treats but only i go in. i think this whole situation is good enough rationalization to finally build us a mini-ramp. i've modified my bike riding by just riding from home at places much less occupied

Last edited by: johnny_deformed on April 17, 2020, 3:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 17, 2020, 3:54 p.m.

kids keep themselves busy by the river, trampoline, play with the chickens, video games, and on a rare occasion, school work.

LOL.  This so much.  My daughter is good at transitioning from school work to playing silently.