What should I study?

July 22, 2011, 3:11 p.m.

History is financially useless but developmentally useful. Philosophy is about the same. Art History is interesting and is full of gorgeous women if you go to class. Linguistics is crazy interesting, wish I'd done more there. Probably some jobs in it too.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

July 22, 2011, 5:06 p.m.

you'll do a shit ton of reading, and you'll have a better appreciation for why the world is as fucked up as it is.

That's what I was hoping for.

www.natooke.com

July 22, 2011, 5:19 p.m.

I've got an Anthropology degree. I found it really interesting, as it combines elements of history, some science, and sociology.

It lacks a useful skill though. Archeology classes and field schools could solve that.

July 22, 2011, 6:05 p.m.

physiotherapist, at least you can get a job…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 22, 2011, 6:26 p.m.

I'm never coming back so a real job is not really required.

www.natooke.com

July 22, 2011, 9:32 p.m.

I'm never coming back so a real job is not really required.

never is a long time.

don't get me wrong, i'm pretty envious, but you never know what the future holds

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

July 24, 2011, 12:46 a.m.

Take some courses in languages. Spanish would help with finding work in a lot of countries.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 24, 2011, 6:49 a.m.

Linguistics is crazy interesting, wish I'd done more there. Probably some jobs in it too.

I second that; this would probably take your ESL skills to a new level… not taking linguistics past the 200 level is definitely one of my regrets.

July 24, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

Take some language courses if you enjoy teaching ESL and travelling, it'll open up many more doors for you. I speak three languages near fluently and have often thought about pursuing a degree in linguistics so I could combine my love of travelling and languages (and hot latin women too) into my life.

I'm at the same point in my life, probably around the same age too - I've been to school a few times in the last 7 years but can't find something that grabs me aside from travel and languages.

July 24, 2011, 11:21 a.m.

You might want to take a look at Quest University. It's style and curriculum might fit your career path. Otherwise I say culinary school. ESL teaching and sous-chef level skills will take you anywhere in the world.

July 24, 2011, 6:07 p.m.

You might want to take a look at Quest University. It's style and curriculum might fit your career path. Otherwise I say culinary school. ESL teaching and sous-chef level skills will take you anywhere in the world.

seeing as he is nowhere near Squamish and probably wants to keep it that way I would htink something like Athabasca or TRU's online studies would be a wiser choice.

July 25, 2011, 8:08 a.m.

communications

and as pointed out forever is a long time to be completely sure of what you are going to do with your life

July 25, 2011, 8:49 a.m.

Take some language courses if you enjoy teaching ESL and travelling, it'll open up many more doors for you. I speak three languages near fluently and have often thought about pursuing a degree in linguistics so I could combine my love of travelling and languages (and hot latin women too) into my life.

Next spring I'm planning on taking the HSK exam. It's a mandarin fluency test for foreigners. has speaking, listening, reading, and writing sections. I'm going for level 4 (they only have levels 4,5 and 6) but even that could provide some opportunities. My speaking and listening is fine but my writing sucks so I'm gonna work hard on that over the winter. It's fucking hard shit to learn though. My online history studies would be in addition to that.

I'm at the same point in my life, probably around the same age too - I've been to school a few times in the last 7 years but can't find something that grabs me aside from travel and languages.

Yeah if I can achieve mandarin fluency I want to learn Spanish and Arabic next. I figure if I can learn those 4 languages I'll be able to speak to about 80% of the people in the world.

www.natooke.com

July 25, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

a writer/journalist bud of mine did a distance learning masters at Royal roads and part of that class was going to china

http://www.royalroads.ca/

royal roads is popular up here for distance learning

July 25, 2011, 10:21 a.m.

I'll chime in a bit better now that I have a better connection.

As far as institutions go I would recommend you give Thompson Rivers University and Athabasca a look at their programs. They offer complete degrees online. TRU offers cheaper tution for BC citizens than Athabasca although I think you would pay a bit more as you are abroad.

I am doing a Commerce degree through TRU at the moment and was pretty happy when they gave me 50% credit for my prior degree, knocks things in half. For those that don't have a degree they do have a Prior Learning Assessment that takes into account your work experience, this can knock off some credits quickly. I am willing to bet you would get credits for your prior courses and work. Doing it all online is great if you have a travelling lifestyle or sporadic work schedule (both what I have); however it takes some real discipline to keep it up.