What is to come from COVID-19

April 4, 2020, 8:53 p.m.

Just sounds expensive to me - why bother with expensive nanotech  tracking when people are so easily controlled with the highly profitable entertainment and political industries?

April 5, 2020, 10:14 a.m.

Not sure if this is the right thread, maybe it should go in the other covid thread but here goes. First I completely get the seriousness of this pandemic, but I’m really getting sick of the self appointed social distancing police. As many of you know I work in the road building industry, we work on major infrastructure projects. Being on the road makes us very high profile. In the last two weeks our office has been bombarded by e-mails and phone calls about workers not obeying good self distancing. Yes, I would agree to a point. There are idiots every where. I can tell you though that myself, my crew and our particular company are doing everything possible to lessen the risk. We have lightened the crews to the bare necessities. No more carpooling in company vehicles, operators and truck drivers are not allowed out of their equipment except to piss. We have set up hand washing stations and perimeters where only two or three people can be at a time. My guys are required to wear gloves and change them regularly. My tools are wiped at the start and end of every shift. Shifts have been cut to only 8 hours a day, zero overtime. Production, and rightly so, has gone to the wayside. The thing that has  me ranting though is that my crew was targeted the other day by two women ( in a smart car ) doing a couple laps around our site taking photos. Shortly after I received an email containing a photo of two of my young guys lifting a 200 pound plate tamper over some form work. Feel free to shit on me but I found that to be fucking bullshit. In our industry some times coming together happens. Should one of them have tried to do it themselves risking injury and needing to seek medical treatment. I feel very badly for those that are out of work right now, my own family has been impacted, my wife works in a surgeons office and her hours have been cut. My middle son works in a grocery store, maybe one of the higher risk places to be. I think some people need to realize our industry is a pretty strong contributor to our economy. Our taxes help support social services like healthcare and EI. Believe me some of us are making a strong effort to stay safe. So in conclusion, the rats out there can fuck off. Rant over.

April 5, 2020, 11:03 a.m.

Hey Flatch,

I'm sure you guys are doing your very best to keep it safe. These rats as we would call them are so miserable in their own lives that they have to lash out at someone. Just ignore it.

April 5, 2020, 11:22 a.m.

On the bright side, traffic is unbelievable. I think traffic reporters could soon be looking for work.

April 5, 2020, 11:44 a.m.

If this is the new normal for say the next 6-12 months, how will we fare?

April 5, 2020, 11:56 a.m.

I've experienced it too Flatch. My wife and I got yelled at for light sparring with boxing gloves while wearing masks in a huge park at least 100 meters away from any other humans. 

Things aren't always as they appear so we shouldn't be too quick to call people out.

April 5, 2020, 12:52 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Humans are social animals, used to meeting others, I think it is part of our DNA, as opposed to Tigers. We are basically still monkeys. And I fear that quite a lot of people out there will develop some serious mental baggage, or the normal baggage gets magnified by social distancing and quarantine. 

And I do not even want to talk about the economy.

April 5, 2020, 2:41 p.m.

I haven't been over the Second Narrows bridge since March 10 when my work shut down. Filled my car up once since then. Nowhere to go except a food and beer run every two weeks. Strange days indeed....

April 5, 2020, 3:16 p.m.

We have it easy (so far) here.

In Europe things are starting to get messy. People are getting pissed at being locked up in their homes and some are even starting to go hungry. I've read reports of Closed Facebook groups organising raids on supermarkets in Southern Italy.

In the UK, police are moving families on from enjoying some simple sun in the open air while social distancing. They have also been using social media to shame people. And the media is following people around in parks and asking them why they are there.

Its seems 'social distancing shaming' is becoming the new 'cancel culture' routine for so many people.

April 5, 2020, 6:27 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I haven't been over the Second Narrows bridge since March 10 when my work shut down. Filled my car up once since then. Nowhere to go except a food and beer run every two weeks. Strange days indeed....

Yup.. 6.2L twin-turbo'd V8 suv.  Think it's been a month since I filled it up and still at 1/2 a tank.

April 5, 2020, 6:59 p.m.

Flatch, I wouldn't worry about what those 2 old hens said to you. It sounds like you are doing the right thing & taking precautions. Some work still has to be done out there. Some projects have to carry on.

April 5, 2020, 7:42 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

In Europe things are starting to get messy. People are getting pissed at being locked up in their homes and some are even starting to go hungry. I've read reports of Closed Facebook groups organising raids on supermarkets in Southern Italy.

In the UK, police are moving families on from enjoying some simple sun in the open air while social distancing. They have also been using social media to shame people. And the media is following people around in parks and asking them why they are there.

Its seems 'social distancing shaming' is becoming the new 'cancel culture' routine for so many people.

One of my bestest friends lives in Zurich. Been stuck at home for a month, he's going nuts. They got hit hard being next to Italy.

April 6, 2020, 1:01 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: Kieran

One of my bestest friends lives in Zurich. Been stuck at home for a month, he's going nuts. They got hit hard being next to Italy.

I havr been following the NZZ (newspaper in Zurich) and they were pretty open about the Swiss gov't screwing everything up because of their inactivity and laissez-faire at the beginning. 

In my area there is social distancing, but not really any curfew so me and kiddo went for an easy trail ride and some maintenance. 

So far my family is fine, but who knows. The situation in Spain and Italy is really scary.

April 6, 2020, 1:27 p.m.

Interesting discussion.

They are just now try to round up enough data on actually how many people in the US have/had this thing.

https://youtu.be/-UO3Wd5urg0

April 6, 2020, 3:59 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

All summer?  Imagine if it is a hot fire season.  It'll be the Purge.  Some of us may have resorted to cannibalism by then.