What is to come from COVID-19

March 23, 2020, 9:05 a.m.

I feel like when Shogun gives us a positive thread on this virus we should keep it that way. Post your thoughts on where we are headed, should we head, etc here.

This is going to hurt bad across the board, even for the wealthy. This can be an opportunity to shift the balance of power and wealth though. We don't need to go back to the French Revolution for an idea of what can happen. WW2 was a disaster of epic proportions and the West became far more egalitarian for a generation as a result. If we go much deeper in debt as a nation to actually re-build for the future and re-tool to fight climate change instead of bailing out all the big companies we might have a better 2030.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 23, 2020, 12:21 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 23, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

I really hope this serves as a wake up call for things like universal basic income, taking better care of our planet, working from home, and perhaps the greatest realization for many that the economy is normal people doing normal people things. so the less the dragons can horde and sit on their wealth and them more money regular folks get to spread around the better off we'll all be. there's no reason to revert back to propping up the same system that got us to this point.

March 23, 2020, 12:07 p.m.

I have no idea cuz just about everwhere you look one thing will be affected by the next thing up stream so there are just way too many domino's to fall

March 23, 2020, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I really hope this serves as a wake up call for things like universal basic income, taking better care of our planet, working from home, and perhaps the greatest realization for many that the economy is normal people doing normal people things. so the less the dragons can horde and sit on their wealth and them more money regular folks get to spread around the better off we'll all be. there's no reason to revert back to propping up the same system that got us to this point.

March 23, 2020, 12:30 p.m.

I don't think anyone knows what this will do to the economy.  The morons in charge have already used up all the get out of jail free cards.  We can't lower interest rates.  We are already deep in debt.  The only chance we have is to take the wealth from the only place it still exists.  The plutocrats are probably planning to meet at their bunkers to hide from the masses already.

March 23, 2020, 12:45 p.m.

I dont think thats up to us... sadly.

March 23, 2020, 12:51 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

This is going to hurt bad across the board, even for the wealthy.

Oh c'mon. Even in G7 countries with public healthcare but especially in the US where greed did the deed the outcomes for the poor will be demonstrably worse then those in the owning classes.

When teh covid gets loose in 3rd world countries, like the d/t eastside ( https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/03/20/Downtown-Eastside-Ticking-Time-Tomb-Coronavirus-COVID19/ ... https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/03/23/How-The-Pandemic-Is-Already-Slamming-Womens-Shelters/ ) , people will be dropping like flies. Those "people" up on the hill, with private healthcare options, their own ventilators and ability to farm out the logistics of living to members of teh serving classes will be just fine, with teh odd exception.

Some examples....

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/03/22/coronavirus-prisons-death-sentence/

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/03/19/digital-divide-leaves-millions-in-us-at-a-disadvantage-during-pandemic/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/03/09/covid-19-and-the-working-class/

March 23, 2020, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Oh c'mon. Even in G7 countries with public healthcare but especially in the US where greed did the deed the outcomes for the poor will be demonstrably worse then those in the owning classes.

When teh covid gets loose in 3rd world countries, ..

Pretty sure our Indian friends who drink and bathe in the Gange's arent afraid of it. If anything its the other way around.

March 23, 2020, 1:09 p.m.

i think of it like a train with 130 cars,  you thro the emergency brake and they all run into the car in front thats the economy

my buddy is really worried about business commitments both to LL and  customers who have paid up front, so as I point out you paid rent for the last 7 years, if Buddy LL kicks you a good tenant out, there is no one else with money to rent that space so he has a vested interest in You being successful and paying him rent

I have kind of always done that with my tennats but no where is this more apparent than now ...we all need to win

March 23, 2020, 1:16 p.m.

when you think about it the world is being brought to its knees by a pandemic, the cold war is over so the bombis no longer hanging over our heads, most folks would guess maybe financial collapse which is going to happen but who would have thot eh ??

March 23, 2020, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

the bombis no longer hanging over our heads,

Wakey wakey.... https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

March 23, 2020, 2:26 p.m.

The first thing is to make everyone take more science class in school so they can actually understand what's happening.

The second is to make everyone take classes in personal finance so that they can learn that living paycheck to paycheck is a bad idea.

March 23, 2020, 3:37 p.m.

I should have clarified.  I was talking about the economy.  The virus will definitely hit the poor worse.  Even if they had the same level of health care, they don't have the same level of health going into this pandemic.

What I meant was that a lot of rich people are losing a lot of money on the markets right now and with all the regular people headed to Brokesville there won't be much to make it better down the road.  Of course they will still do better than the poor, but I don't think they are getting out of this unscathed.

March 23, 2020, 4:29 p.m.

What I meant was that a lot of rich people are losing a lot of money on the markets right now an...... I don't think they are getting out of this unscathed.

That's what they want you to think.... https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2020/03/burr-unloaded-stocks-before-coronavirus/

Last edited by: tungsten on March 23, 2020, 8:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2020, 5:43 p.m.

I should have clarified.  I was talking about the economy.  The virus will definitely hit the poor worse.  Even if they had the same level of health care, they don't have the same level of health going into this pandemic.

What I meant was that a lot of rich people are losing a lot of money on the markets right now...

There was a selloff of trillions of dollars.  Where do you think the money went?