What Fitness and Training Books Do You Use?

Jan. 11, 2008, 10:24 a.m.

i didnt know it but ive been "CROSSFIT" before i ever heard about crossfit.

In the 80's it was called Cross Training.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 11, 2008, 7:50 p.m.

If you have a weak back, it's worth addressing that issue… one way to do that is to do deadlifts, squats, learn to put heavy things overhead and squat with them there (nothing humbles the core as much as heavy OH squats!)

Do the exercises carefully, incrementally and with good form and your back wont hurt anymore.

Work on your weaknesses and make them go away.

because i prefer not to do high load over head, pressing excercises overhead does not mean i have a bad core or back. i m cross fit;)

Jan. 11, 2008, 7:53 p.m.

because i prefer not to do high load over head, pressing excercises overhead does not mean i have a bad core or back. i m cross fit;)

Just so we are on the same page. What weight do you consider high load?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:06 p.m.

i just prefer not to do any sort of over head or pressing activity standing up. i would much rather military press sitting down, whether its 2 pounds, or 100.

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:07 p.m.

right now im military pressing 100 pounds, sets of 8-10

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:10 p.m.

i just prefer not to do any sort of over head or pressing activity standing up. i would much rather military press sitting down, whether its 2 pounds, or 100.

Fair enough.

Just a thought for you to consider. In everyday life we all do a standing pressing movement of some kind whether that be to put dishes on the shelves or put cans in the cupboard. Kind of hard to do it in a seated position.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:14 p.m.

dishes and cans don't weigh 100 pounds. cant compare apples to oranges

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:35 p.m.

My strength training bible is Starting Strength - http://www.startingstrength.com/

Mark Rippetoe also wrote Practical Programming which I use extensively.

I just started training again in mid-December and I'm already back to doing 5x5 200lb back squats, and doing over double bodyweight deadlifts and 90lb presses for reps. Pretty good for 3 weeks of training after a 6 month break! My man Rip, knows how to get people strong, fast.

Marks a great guy too, i highly recomend this for new weight lifters. His gym is great too, if you ever meet him in person he can access a lifting problem from a mile away.

I also suggest 'the new rules of lifting' and 'the new rules of lifting for women' both have excellent advice in them and are really cheap on amazon.

If we want to talk numbers, In three months here ill be aiming to get my elite lifting status in powerlifting. That will take about a 800lbs squat, 500lbs bench, and a 600lbs deadlift. Im 219lbs this morning.

What i do is very specialized and the way i train is not for the person who just wants to be fit/look good/be healthy. This stuff isn't all that complex, lift weights that use alot of muscles at once (squats/deadlifts/presses/rows etc) for various amounts of reps.. get some rest/sleep.. eat healthy as you can stand (lots of whole foods is my take.. chicken, steak, eggs, veggies, oats, cheese.. whatever) in reasonable portions and it will come togethor.

Sometimes (and ive been guily of this without a doubt.) someone like me who is very focused on certain aspects on lifting quickly dismisses alot of other styles but (almost) everything has at least a little bit of merit depending on you goals.

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:39 p.m.

On the military press issue. Standing is more difficult (unless you do a push press or push jerk) but actually puts less stress on your spine then the same amount of weight seated in most cases (google realDNA i think its called they have ran the tests, along with some stuff you can come accross in pubmed if you look hard enough). Its very rare for an olympic lifter (who often puts 400-500+lbs overhead) to get a back injury.. or any injury for that matter.

A problem does come up when you get into really heavy db's (say 140lbs each hand) and getting them to starting position when standing is very damn hard.. so then.. sit back and enjoy. lol :D

Jan. 11, 2008, 9:08 p.m.

dishes and cans don't weigh 100 pounds. cant compare apples to oranges

Ok then, If you have to put your bike on your roof rack you in away are doing pressing movement.

And by the way, when you are a senior being able to lift a can over your head can become an issue.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 11, 2008, 9:11 p.m.

Sometimes (and ive been guily of this without a doubt.) someone like me who is very focused on certain aspects on lifting quickly dismisses alot of other styles but (almost) everything has at least a little bit of merit depending on you goals.

A lifter, cross trainer, or any other fitness addict should be students of it. They should read everything and figure out for themselves what does or doesn't work for them.

Heck, I learned somethings from Kenyan runners that works well for me in my bike training.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 11, 2008, 9:22 p.m.

Did anyone say squats and milk yet?

Jan. 11, 2008, 9:25 p.m.

Did anyone say squats and milk yet?

I didn't know that was a book title. Who wrote it?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 11, 2008, 10:58 p.m.

then you are missing out on a big range of movements that could build some good lean mass on you. clean and presses are great

Jan. 12, 2008, 2:09 a.m.

Is Tae Bo A book?

Clunking is for retards.