What are you reading?

Dec. 17, 2010, 10:50 a.m.

Nothing Wrong with Sci-Fi and Fantasy style novels :D they are usually my preference. Currently reading Memnock the Devil, (decent vampire story, none of this Twilight fluff)

But after reading the thread about Mt Everest I will be following this book up with Into Thin Air and/or The Climb

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Dec. 17, 2010, 10:55 a.m.

A good book on metacognition, thinking about thinking, reminds me of the old classic_ Don't Shoot The Dog - The New Art of Teaching_ and Training, by Karen Pryor

Disc World, need I say more.

Time travel and the Blitz…

Book 2, steampunk meets recombinant DNA in World War I, finished this one last week with the kids.

The new novel with the kids, a retelling of Wizard of Oz… as science fantasy, book 1 of ?

Vorkosigan novel, just good solid SF, no fallen angels falling for 16 year old teens need apply here (there is something odd in that picture about a 10,000 year old dating the prom queen/king).

Very accessible, good science.

Book 3 or 3, an alternate history, with "demons" and the other Nostradamus (rather like Sherlock Holmes younger brother… or his sister maybe Enola Holmes (a favourite of my daughter)).

Good science meets woo… a fun read, and "edumacting" too.

Not as much time to read as I used to have, but I'm usually able to get through a novel or two in a week….

__Aside: Okay, I have to admit three of the above authors are acquaintances, hint Terry loves a salmon dinner, Jerry likes cats and cowboy boots, and well Dave and I can talk shop before he retired we were in the same field - you might say, and actually we did on numerous occasions (a really nice guy, and a great Canadian author).

Dec. 17, 2010, 3:38 p.m.

Was on an Iain M. Banks Culture marathon up until just recently:

ROU - KillingTime FTW!

Just finished the Three Day Road by Joseph boyden, was very good:

Thank you Karen!

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Dec. 17, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

Also, I picked up a recent book by one of my uni profs (John Lutz) called Makuk: New History of Aboriginal-White Relations, and that's worth a read.

What perspective, I work with a lot of aboriginal communities and might be interested in this? Never mind i c it's been reviewed on the webz

Dec. 17, 2010, 6:48 p.m.

Dec. 17, 2010, 9:21 p.m.

Right now I'm reading "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Michael Chabon. i enjoyed "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" so I thought I'd give this one a try and so far its pretty entertaining.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

Dec. 19, 2010, 1:28 a.m.

….actually I am reading this history on Prussia in a very good German translation.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 8, 2011, 1:50 a.m.

Sehr informativ und interessant zu lesenden Artikel …. danke
Taufe Taufkleid

Jan. 8, 2011, 3 a.m.

I just finished "Chinese Lessons" By John Pomfrey

It's written by one of the first foreign students admitted to China post-cultural revolution. He began studying at Nanjing University in 1980 and remained in China until he was kicked out in 1989 for participating in the student demonstrations. He was allowed back in in 2004.

If you want a good insider's view of how much China has changed in the last 50 years and how it got there it's a very very good read.

www.natooke.com

Jan. 8, 2011, 8:45 a.m.

This a great thread….love getting turned on to new things to read….I am currently reading:

The Lost Weekend - Charles Jackson
Freakonomics-Steven Levitt/Stephen Dubner

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

http://www.myspace.com/readyrabbit :rocker:

Jan. 8, 2011, 8:58 a.m.

….this thread.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Jan. 8, 2011, 11:46 a.m.

Talent is overrated by Geoff Colvin. Interesting read.

Jan. 8, 2011, 12:09 p.m.

I just finished "Chinese Lessons" By John Pomfrey

It's written by one of the first foreign students admitted to China post-cultural revolution. He began studying at Nanjing University in 1980 and remained in China until he was kicked out in 1989 for participating in the student demonstrations. He was allowed back in in 2004.

If you want a good insider's view of how much China has changed in the last 50 years and how it got there it's a very very good read.

…still pretty smoggy i hear.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Jan. 8, 2011, 12:12 p.m.

One of these threads got me to read Kryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, and I loved it. Does anyone have any insight into Anathem?

I like to read Canadian fiction mostly, but I'm having trouble finding a good one. Any recommendations? Right now I'm slugging through Navigator of New York, but I'm not really into it.

Jan. 8, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

I can't start it, becuase then it will be finished.