What are you doing for the environment?

Jan. 31, 2007, 4:22 p.m.

Work from home.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 31, 2007, 4:59 p.m.

i step infront fo cars and sue the drivers.

yeah bro!!

Jan. 31, 2007, 6:14 p.m.

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp
let's see.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Jan. 31, 2007, 6:15 p.m.

well i went from a small truck to a full size with a v8, just trying to do my part

:ireland: Pickem-up Truck

Jan. 31, 2007, 7:05 p.m.

went from a 1985 automatic gaz guzzler to a 1993 4cyl 90hp stnadard runabout.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Jan. 31, 2007, 7:19 p.m.

let's see.

3.5 planets ughhhh

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Jan. 31, 2007, 8:29 p.m.

I also never wanted to ever use daycare but that is a different topic.

Thus far we aren't using daycare either - but research indicates that kids in daycare do just as well as kids who are home with a parent. By some measures they do better - particularly early socialization.

Jan. 31, 2007, 8:33 p.m.

Yes, I know that he is a mod and that you're in charge of the site. I was talking about the NSMB.com in general. The reason I asked Couch is because 1) he started the thread and 2) being one of the faces of this site he should know what you, Cam, are doing through NSMB to be an environmental friendly company, don't you think?

The reason, I think, it is a better question is because you always hear what the average Joe is doing to help 'save' the environment, but you (or I) hardly hear what companies as a whole are doing. Especially when NSMB.com has a large influence over people who have access to a environment (the Shore) that can be very easliy exploited and if used wrong can be very unstable.

I have no problem with you asking - just wondered why you thought it was a better question. Anyway - I would say that nsmb is about as environmentally friendly as your average family of four - probably more so because I work at home and I add less carbon to the system than I did before. Our goods are delivered by regular mail rather than driven around the city in a truck and we create very little paper as I mentioned before.

Jan. 31, 2007, 8:38 p.m.

Thus far we aren't using daycare either - but research indicates that kids in daycare do just as well as kids who are home with a parent. By some measures they do better - particularly early socialization.

do both and get the best of both worlds.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 31, 2007, 8:38 p.m.

ahhh the other topic. I believe that a very young child does best in the company of a caring parent. I was lucky and my mom was a stay at home mom. I liked the fact that my parents were always there for my brother and I and I would like to provide that for my kids. I do not know if day care is good or bad for a young child, I just don't want it for mine.

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Jan. 31, 2007, 8:46 p.m.

I didn't go to daycare, you can draw your own conclusions from that couch

meh

Jan. 31, 2007, 9:24 p.m.

I didn't go to daycare, you can draw your own conclusions from that couch

translation - make sure your daughters go to daycare at least one day per week

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 31, 2007, 9:30 p.m.

no one mentions air travel…

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Jan. 31, 2007, 9:39 p.m.

we're still doomed once India and China reach our western levels of affluence and nothing in this thread will make one iota of difference.

there simply is not enough natural resources (oil, metals, energy) to let the whole world live at the same level of affluence which we in the West have today. and of course the pollution from such a world where India and China have the same per-capita auto use as us would make the current pollution look small.

i know everyone is doing what they can, but once India and China have the means to attain a western lifestyle we are pretty much fucked. unless we manage to convince them to stay with their current level of affluence (stay in the country, don't buy a car, don't buy electronics, etc), the western societies are going to be forced into a decline. these little baby steps we are doing today are nothing compared to what we will have to do once those developing coutries become affluent…

read this book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse:_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed … if you aren't scared now, you will be …

dont' get me wrong: i'm not saying don't try to make a postive difference, i'm saying that even if every Canadian did everything listed in this thread, we'd will still be fucked over by India and China once they reach our levels of afflucence.

Jan. 31, 2007, 9:40 p.m.

let's see.

3.7 Hectares. We'd need 2.1 planets.

Would be worse in the summer, when I'm driving to whistler every weekend to go riding.