Well this looks pretty bad...

Aug. 13, 2014, 6:24 p.m.

They are doing this at Myra Falls and Quinsam Coal.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 13, 2014, 6:44 p.m.

They are doing this at Myra Falls and Quinsam Coal.

You should tell the copper and gold miners this. I'll bet they'll appreciate your advice.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 13, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

You should tell the copper and gold miners this. I'll bet they'll appreciate your advice.

They guys at Myra did appreciate the advice.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 13, 2014, 8:37 p.m.

"Imperial Metals operates the Mount Polley gold and copper mine. An environmental engineering firm, the Shushwap Nation Tribal Council, a former foreman, and the Ministry of the Environment have all confirmed that Imperial Metals was warned during previous site inspections. Yet Imperial Metals was allowed to keep operating, perhaps due to its $233,710 in donations to the B.C. Liberal Party. Imperial Metal's largest shareholder is billionaire N. Murray Edwards, who is on the board of directors for Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (who were under fire last year for four oil spills in Northeast Alberta). Six companies that Edwards has a major interest in donated $482, 857 to the B.C. Liberals.

While the particularities of Imperial Metals are troubling, they reveal a broader trend about mining in B.C.

There are 20 operating mines with similar tailings pond dams in B.C. Yet The Tyee reports that since the B.C. Liberals took office in 2001, mine inspections have reduced by nearly half while environmental orders have decreased by over 90 per cent. Furthermore, there is no requirement in B.C. that mining companies have emergency response plans including insurance for such spills."

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2014/08/mount-polley-mining-disaster

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 13, 2014, 8:45 p.m.

yup, there are definitely bad ones out there. but worst of the worst is not true man. australians rape and pillage their own country with far more lax regulations than canada. they apply even less regulations in the congo. china is unspeakable in their practices. the soviet era, i've been there i know how horrible that legacy is. i have never seen that in any of canada that compares to what has been done over there.

See below……….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 13, 2014, 8:46 p.m.

"Over 75 per cent of the world's exploration and mining companies are headquartered in Canada, and mining and energy investment is the third largest component of Canadian direct investment abroad. A leaked report by the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, the biggest industry lobby group, confirms that Canadian mining corporations are responsible for almost half of all the documented mining-related rights violations around the world, and in the global South are implicated in four times as many violations as companies from other countries."

Aug. 14, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

http://www.cftktv.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=2163364

Damage control apres mnt polley, it looks like the Tahltan don't trust imperial at red chris

Aug. 14, 2014, 10:45 p.m.

"Over 75 per cent of the world's exploration and mining companies are headquartered in Canada, and mining and energy investment is the third largest component of Canadian direct investment abroad. A leaked report by the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, the biggest industry lobby group, confirms that Canadian mining corporations are responsible for almost half of all the documented mining-related rights violations around the world, and in the global South are implicated in four times as many violations as companies from other countries."

Eh? I thought Canada was the home of "World Class Safety Standards"?

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Aug. 14, 2014, 11:37 p.m.

Three quarters of companies are in Canada, and they are responsible for half of rights violation. So 25% of foreign companies are responsible for the other half. That sounds a lot worse.

Then there is the "implicated" statement.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Aug. 15, 2014, 5:53 a.m.

Harsha Walia is a South Asian activist and writer based in Vancouver, unceded Coast Salish Territories. She has been involved in community-based grassroots migrant justice, feminist, anti-racist, Indigenous solidarity, anti-capitalist, Palestinian liberation, and anti-imperialist movements for over a decade

Totally non biased tripe.

Lets all stop being mining experts and wait and see how this plays out.

What Canadians SHOULD be doing is pressuring the govt to reinstate laws and regs that they have made lax in the past few years.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 15, 2014, 6:01 a.m.

http://www.cftktv.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=2163364

Damage control apres mnt polley, it looks like the Tahltan don't trust imperial at red chris

Is this what they mean by having your cake and eating it too?

http://www.tndc.ca/projects

Go ahead…..click on all the stars,and remember those names when reading the news of the next "protest".

Oh, and looky there…..they actually built the roads in the Klappan play (and then "kicked Shell out")

…..so much bullshit on both sides.You and I see thinks differently XXXer,but I believe that you and the folks you side with are being fed a big fat lie to stir your emotions and allow some people to extort others for access to resources.

I truly wish this was really about the environment and treaty rights….but its not.

….and remember this link if you want to really know who's running the show on prjects in our area. http://www.tndc.ca/partners

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 15, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

Well I don't think the Talthan did the engineering on the project and so now some of them don't trust Imperial which is a reasonable assumption to make given mnt Polley so now the mining co need to spend more $$$ for another review which is good for the local economy, and if some Talthan got money for building some roads and then the elders kicked shell out that money still spent just fine

any mining company is in there to spend as little money as possible and make profits on what we the tax payers own period SO I think anything that slows down mining development will mean they are more likely to do it right, Imperial and the industry needs to see that fcuking up costs them big time $$$ and of course there is bulshit on both sides the difference between you and me is we believe different bulshit, also I think you trust them … I don't

I'm not that much of a purist either I made $ working on a KSM related project and next time you need to take a shit up there remember I layed out the septic field at Red Chris

what you need things to go ahead faster you want to work more last winter I offered to show you all the side country pow stashes on a weekend and you had to work?

You got any equipment on the Apache/Chevron file which had the plug pulled according to the news?

Aug. 15, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

See below……….

Tungsten. This doesn't specify a time period of when theses tallied violations occur or explain where the headquarters for the companies are. statistics like this don't have much meaning unless you put things into context as to why. saying always goes in sciences, "just because there is a correlation does not mean there is a cause and effect." you have understand the how, when, and why before you can make assumptions about the what and who.

the reason why such a large percentage of the worlds companies is listed on the Toronto stock exchange is because following the Bre-X scandal, Canada instituted at that time, one of the most rigorous financial securities measures to prevent fraud. this was recognized worldwide, so people wanted to be part of that. couple that with the merger of the vancouver stock exchange, where previously a large portion of the circumpacific know-how of mineral exploration was housed, with the TSX where all of the money flows in Canada, you have a good place for companies to get listed.

So even though a large portion of the world's mining companies are listed on the TSX, does not mean they are canadian. for instance, Barrick one of the largest gold producers in the world is listed on the TSX, but they are located in Colorado. Vale which bought out Inco which was the main producer of nickel in sudbury is from Brasil. I'm not saying Canadian companies are free of fault, no one is. i don't think that you have to look very far back into our history to know that, Sudbury was and is still a mess and that was Canadian operated on our own soil. but that was the technology of that day and era. i'm not saying there aren't sketchy fuckers out there today that get away with stuff that you're embarrassed as a nation about. but on average, if you work with, talk to, live in the places around the world where each of these companies operate, you realize there is a significant cultural difference.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:03 a.m.

the Keepers are not the TNDC. might be wise to draw a reasonable line in the sand.

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:05 a.m.

http://www.tahltan.org/news/tcc-reaction-red-chris-mine-blockade