Well this looks pretty bad...

Aug. 12, 2014, 2:53 p.m.

Company ignored safety and focused on profits. Hard to believe.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 12, 2014, 4:32 p.m.

and the govy boys in mining and enviro did SFA but the mining went ahead which is the most important thing, except now when it ain't working so some mine workers are laid off

But for the financial ramifications of this cluster fcuk just google imperial metals :

"The accident sent Imperial’s shares tumbling 38% last week in Toronto trading, wiping $483 million from the company’s market value. On Aug. 8, Standard [HTML_REMOVED] Poor’s cut its credit rating for Imperial to CCC+ from B- with a negative outlook, saying the accident “materially weakened” the miner’s financial flexibility"

"Imperial Metals insurance likely not enough for dam collapse cleanup
Restoration costs expected to be hundreds of millions of dollars"

"Huge cleanup bill for Imperial Metals may force partial asset sale"

Besides the Klabonia keepers picketing the Red Chris mine road I gotta wonder how this could financialy fuck up Imperial for the startup this september BUT also consider since they don't actualy have a permit to pollute at Red Chris YET Imperial pretty much needs to make nice [HTML_REMOVED] clean up mnt Polley OR maybe they don't get that pollution permit for Red Chris ???

but they saved all that money, pretty fucking smart operators eh? classic shoot self in foot getting gun out of holster

Aug. 12, 2014, 6:24 p.m.

What pollution permit?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 12, 2014, 6:46 p.m.

What pollution permit?

You need a permit to pollute (ie. emit deleterious substances into the air, ground or water) in Canada. They are becoming increasingly easy to obtain, especially now that as of November 25th, 2013 Harper changed the long-standing fisheries act.

From environmentallawcentre.com:

"These changes mark the end of the prohibition against the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat (the HADD Provision). For decades, the HADD Provision has served as the primary focus of federal regulation under the Fisheries Act supported by the scientific principle that NO HABITAT = NO FISH.

In place of the HADD Provision is now a prohibition against works, undertakings or activities that result in serious harm to fish that are part of a commercial, recreational or Aboriginal fishery, or to fish that support such a fishery. The definition of “serious harm” is the “death of fish or any permanent alteration to, or destruction of, fish habitat.”"

Aug. 12, 2014, 7:43 p.m.

I am pro mining but I think that mining companies (well, companies in many industries) need to be held to more strict environmental regulations. The biosphere contains limited resources so we as a society need to consider how we consume. Consumer habits/pressure are one effective way to hold companies to higher accountability standards. I think this will lead the way on corporate change in Canada. The other way to change business as usual practices is legal regulations, but our government is changing regulations to be less strict in order to encourage development and investment, so demand for corporate environmental accountability will have to come from citizens.

Aug. 12, 2014, 8:10 p.m.

http://fpif.org/seeking-justice-canada-hitting-mining-companies-live/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 12, 2014, 8:42 p.m.

"The Vancouver-based company plans to start production at Red Chris in late September. It has applied for, but not yet received, a permit to discharge waste from the open-pit mine "

so WTF else would you call that besides a pollution permit?

Kever nailed it and actualy right from the horses mouth to quote my ski buddy from MOE after we gave him the gears for sft enviromental "I write pollution prescriptions"

Sounds like it needed doing but think about how imperial has fucked it up for everyone else in the mining business?

Aug. 12, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

I am pro mining but I think that mining companies (well, companies in many industries) need to be held to more strict environmental regulations. The biosphere contains limited resources so we as a society need to consider how we consume. Consumer habits/pressure are one effective way to hold companies to higher accountability standards. I think this will lead the way on corporate change in Canada. The other way to change business as usual practices is legal regulations, but our government is changing regulations to be less strict in order to encourage development and investment, so demand for corporate environmental accountability will have to come from citizens.

Strict environmental regs are fine, as long as we are held to scientific standards and not the feelings of any random person who is capable of hiring a lawyer. Let me explain my view on this:

We, as nations, have elected governments to protect our interests as a whole. Not everyone is an mine engineer, or a wildlife biologist, or a forester, or any other number of highly technical professions. There is no way we could ever elect all of this, so government agencies are appointed to help with technical decisions and recomendations. It is up to us, through our elected officials, to hold these agencies accountable for their decisions. But when they do produce a peer reviewed document, such as a biological opinion for a mine, the publics feelings (based in emotion, not hard science) should not be able to sway scientific fact.

Instead, we have public comment periods, where every care and concern is passified. And if some po - dunk hillbilly is afraid that the water leaving a water treatment plant is "toxic" or "polluted" just because it originates on a mine site, they change what should have been a science based decision into an emotional one, and the mine that desperately needs a legal route to lower the water level in it's tailings management facility (I'm told that is our latest and greatest politically correct term) gets told to stuff it. Had sound science been listed to, I am confident this disaster would have never taken place.

Xxxer, you misunderstood my question. Is it a water discharge permit that Red Chris is waiting on?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 12, 2014, 9:48 p.m.

We, as nations, have elected governments to protect our interests as a whole.

Unfortunately, our elected governments are more concerned about the interests of corporations than the people.

Aug. 13, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

Of course I am being facetious and you are being uncharacteristically professional … so who are you and what did you do with the real Farmer?

water discharge permit = permit to pollute except one sounds better than the other so call a spade a fucking shovel and be done with it.

my take on mining is if we are going to have them do it right cuz a mine will produce pollution plain and simple so its just a question of producing acceptable levels of pollution …I think Imperial just exceeded them

The corporations are like dogs or little kids in that they will get away with whatever they can SO we have government to keep them in line except gov has been decimated and can't do the job but the corporations wouldn't do anything wrong because its not in their best interest … right?

Aug. 13, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

solvency - this all come down to murray edwards deep pockets. He is the creditor (edco), and III has 470mm of his debt on their books right now. With polley pulling ~ 20-40mm a Q, they do not make enough money annually to cover the assumed cleanup cost (guessed at $150mm). You can bet on Murray saying F-this, we're not spending over $2.25/lb to produce Polley ore. All bets by me are for a polley shutdown (was only expected to run until 2016 up until a few years ago, but exploration and near mine definition certainly helped). I would expect they sell Polley to someone like Taseko and Sterling to one of the Nevada ops. That way full attention can go to the ~250mm they need to spend on Red Chris to get operating. Huck will stay operating (if it is, from the cog break shutdown). Red Chris will be Canadas largest copper mine, and Polley will be someones darling for the next 6 years, but probably not Imperial. Bulk of the skilled trades will get shipped up to Iskut. U/G miners will hopefully find homes at Ruddock. Thats totally my silly opinion, but until I hear more baseline data, its how I see it happening.

Aug. 13, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

The Huck was down for a month [HTML_REMOVED] a half but its been up and running since early april

Aug. 13, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

If it's an underground mine why doesn't they put tailings into old shafts?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 13, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

^^ very small UG development at Polley.

Aug. 13, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

If it's an underground mine why doesn't they put tailings into old shafts?

Even then you get acid mine drainage. That's what's happening at Britannia mine right now, water is running through old mine shafts creating effluent that is collected, treated and discharged at the Epcor plant. This will continue indefinitely at taxpayers expense as far as I know.