Weed and Feed outside or in North Van

July 5, 2010, 7:52 a.m.

im gunna Xeriscape. cause cutting grass is for chumps

fyp :)

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

July 5, 2010, 7:54 a.m.

[long winded response deleted for sanity]

I have kids
I have a good understanding of the toxicity and properties of herbicides
I wish to spot treat small areas
Politicians + (real) Science = FUBAR

I don't use herbicides for dandelions etc, I fertilize my lawn and cut it long to out-compete weeds, however I am not having much luck with controlling creeping buttercup and clover. I would be interested if any one has experience of effective methods of controlling these weeds.

Buttercup is tough to out competed and is not effected by close mowing. It prefers acidic soil so I am in the process of adjusting soil pH to a more alkaline level, which grasses prefer also. (PS did you know that the sap of the buttercup is more toxic than most common weedkillers, but I digress).

Has anyone had success using vinegar? Is it at all selective for broad leaf plants compared to grasses?

I really don't care about politics, however banning the use of cosmetic Herbicides is one the smartest things politicians have done in awhile.

Weed and Feed is not spot treating! If you really feel the need to use the crap, use a broad leaf foliar spray and spot treat the problem areas. Do not use Round up or Vinegar on your lawn as it not selective. Manual removal of Butter Cup and Clover is very effective, however trying to keep a mono culture lawn is a excersise in futility.

The sap from Butter Cup is Caustic, not Toxic and really using it in this discussion is weak. I would rather a burn, than fucking up myself up at the Cellular level. Now Hog Weed is one that I would worry about, chances are though you wouldn't find it in your lawn.

Really when it comes down to it your going to use the crap whether I tell you to or not. We all make poor decisions in life, however make sure you read the label. Use the proper terminology. Buy the proper product! For the kids sake don't let them on the lawn for a really long time because they shouldn't be punished for your stupidity, no offense.

Master of Puppets

July 5, 2010, 7:55 a.m.

i say just keep the buttercups.
they look better then lawn anyways.
a carpet of little yellow flowers FTW!

July 5, 2010, 9:27 a.m.

Buttercup is tough to out competed and is not effected by close mowing. It prefers acidic soil so I am in the process of adjusting soil pH to a more alkaline level, which grasses prefer also. (PS did you know that the sap of the buttercup is more toxic than most common weedkillers, but I digress).

Has anyone had success using vinegar? Is it at all selective for broad leaf plants compared to grasses?

I'm having a hell of a time with Buttercup too. I found the best way to control it is to just get in there and carefully pull the roots. It takes a long time, but it's the best way. This year, my plan is to use a Landscaping media around the lawn borders and in the plant beds to control weed growth.

Vinegar works really well, but it doesn't discriminate on what it kills.

Let me know how the alkali treatment works.

July 5, 2010, 9:33 a.m.

lol lawns. been there, done that.

July 5, 2010, 9:38 a.m.

if the kids are young pay them to do it.
- garden gets weeded . tick
- kids busy outside - tick
- cheaper than buying shit- tick
- you can enjoy a beer watching them - tick
- safe - tick

July 5, 2010, 10:18 a.m.

I like using Roundup mixed with some arsenic and plutonium dust. Keeps the dogs and cats off the lawns. Well, kinda. They visit once, but then we never see them back!

:)

July 5, 2010, 10:42 a.m.

Weed n Feed NBR style: Place monitor in front of offending weeds and let poison pens and bullshit do the rest!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 5, 2010, 10:59 a.m.

You could get a poster of a really nice garden and stick it to your window, so when you are on NBR, you can just look out the window and think that all is good.

July 5, 2010, 11:40 a.m.

Let me know how the alkali treatment works.

Will do. First I'm going to try lots of lime with sand and aeration to improve drainage. I think I recall reading that buttercups like phosphorous (in addition to wet clay soil), but cant find the reference, so will stick with N/K only. I have a feeling that once established, lime won't do much, but may work in combination with mechanical removal and over-seeding.

sridout: you mention cutting the lawn at 2.5 inches. Were you suggesting that the lawn should be kept long rather than short? i.e. to allow grasses to out-compete the buttercup and clover? I already keep my lawn long, probably in the 3-4 inch region, because, as you say, it requires less watering but the broad leaf population is still increasing.

I'm not looking for a monoculture, but equally I don't want a mono-culture of buttercup or clover.

As per suggestions here I'll also try mechanical removal, but the interwebs suggests that this is not very effective for deep rooting plants like buttercup.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 5, 2010, 12:02 p.m.

I like using Roundup mixed with some arsenic and plutonium dust. Keeps the dogs and cats off the lawns. Well, kinda. They visit once, but then we never see them back!

:)

The downside to plutonium dust is all the bitching by the neighbors when your glowing lawn is keeping them up all night.

July 5, 2010, 12:04 p.m.

sridout: you mention cutting the lawn at 2.5 inches. Were you suggesting that the lawn should be kept long rather than short? i.e. to allow grasses to out-compete the buttercup and clover? I already keep my lawn long, probably in the 3-4 inch region, because, as you say, it requires less watering but the broad leaf population is still increasing.

I started keeping my grass a little longer and it really did help fill it out. 3-4" may be too long, does it start to fall over under it's own weight at that height?

July 5, 2010, 1:03 p.m.

If you use Round up to control weeds in other areas switch to straight White Vinegar instead.

Does it work on those tough weeds that grow in driveways?

Any moss suggestions?

July 5, 2010, 1:12 p.m.

Does it work on those tough weeds that grow in driveways?

Any moss suggestions?

Yes and let it take over the lawn. Moss will end up being the only thing alive and it looks really nice :)

July 5, 2010, 1:16 p.m.

The trouble is that the moss only covers about 1/2 the back yard, mixed in with some nasty invasive weed.