Weed and Feed outside or in North Van

July 4, 2010, 7:31 p.m.

Is it still available and where?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 4, 2010, 7:55 p.m.

I need weed and feed too.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

July 4, 2010, 8:03 p.m.

http://www.letscurbpesticides.ca/en/about/weedfeed.asp

pesticides are for jerks.

Pastor of Muppets

July 4, 2010, 8:34 p.m.

Find yourself some eco-soil veggie mix or planting mix. If you're in north van you can get it delivered. And overseed with a good brand of seed.

All sprays and fertilizers are garbage. Add soil, add seed. It chokes out plants the natural way. Your lawn gets greener and fuller

It'll work way better then weed and feed, and it's recycling/ecofriendly/etc

July 4, 2010, 9:47 p.m.

Roundup and I are having a torrid love affair…suck on that Hippies.

July 4, 2010, 9:53 p.m.

You have kids?

You gonna let them play on that lawn?

You might wanna do a little research…..Im the furthest thing from a hippy on this board and I wouldnt go near that shit.

Like sleeper said,add compost,nitrogen and overseed in the spring and fall,the weeds wont have a chance.

Pastor of Muppets

July 4, 2010, 10:04 p.m.

http://www.northvancouverpolitics.com/2008/06/district-bans-residential-pesticide-use.html

don't tell monica if you go down the dark path of poison.

July 4, 2010, 10:07 p.m.

You have kids?

You gonna let them play on that lawn?

You might wanna do a little research…..Im the furthest thing from a hippy on this board and I wouldnt go near that shit.

Like sleeper said,add compost,nitrogen and overseed in the spring and fall,the weeds wont have a chance.

QFT

come on..throw some wildflower seed on there and call it a day :P

seriously though, stay away from the weedkiller - nasty stuff.

July 4, 2010, 11:10 p.m.

disappointing

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 4, 2010, 11:28 p.m.

There are certain weeds that compost and grass seed can not kill. Take Morning Glory for example, I have been battling it for 3 years now…just me and roundup in the trenches.

July 4, 2010, 11:42 p.m.

Well I consider myself a Redneck Hippie. I own a Organic landscape maintenance company. Before I saw the light, I used and put down more Herbicide than anyone ever should, so I know about what I speak. Using Weed and Feed is about as useful as pissing in the wind. Not really all that effective. If your using Round Up on your lawn your a Moron. Read the label, it's a non selective Herbicide, that means it will kill your grass as well as the so called weed. Either pull out the existing lawn or live with some weeds. If you start again with a new lawn start using a product called Corn Gluten. It prevents weed seed from germinating. Start cutting the grass at around 2.5 inches. Less weeds, less watering and it will stay greener over the droughty months. If you use Round up to control weeds in other areas switch to straight White Vinegar instead. Just as effective and a hell of allot cheaper and will cut down on the whole Cancer thing. The 50's have long since past, even Golf courses are starting to see the light and have cut back or eliminated the use of Herbicide. If you have kids and your still using that shit give your head shake and check out what the Cancer Society has to say about it.

Master of Puppets

July 4, 2010, 11:48 p.m.

There are certain weeds that compost and grass seed can not kill. Take Morning Glory for example, I have been battling it for 3 years now…just me and roundup in the trenches.

Round-up will not kill Morning Glory completely, only frequent pulling is effective. You say you have been using Round up on the Morning Glory for 3 years and it still keeps coming back, what part haven't you figured out? Obvisouly the Round-up is not working!

Master of Puppets

July 5, 2010, 12:11 a.m.

[long winded response deleted for sanity]

I have kids
I have a good understanding of the toxicity and properties of herbicides
I wish to spot treat small areas
Politicians + (real) Science = FUBAR

I don't use herbicides for dandelions etc, I fertilize my lawn and cut it long to out-compete weeds, however I am not having much luck with controlling creeping buttercup and clover. I would be interested if any one has experience of effective methods of controlling these weeds.

Buttercup is tough to out competed and is not effected by close mowing. It prefers acidic soil so I am in the process of adjusting soil pH to a more alkaline level, which grasses prefer also. (PS did you know that the sap of the buttercup is more toxic than most common weedkillers, but I digress).

Has anyone had success using vinegar? Is it at all selective for broad leaf plants compared to grasses?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 5, 2010, 12:21 a.m.

Round-up will not kill Morning Glory completely, only frequent pulling is effective. You say you have been using Round up on the Morning Glory for 3 years and it still keeps coming back, what part haven't you figured out? Obvisouly the Round-up is not working!

Yep, Morning glory is quite tolerant of a folar spray of roundup. If you are going to use roundup on this plant then consider using the stem scraping technique. Its much more effective, you use a lot less herbicide and its much more targeted with no off target damage if you are precise and careful.

I ride Bikes

July 5, 2010, 5:41 a.m.

im gunna have a weedlawn. cause cutting grass is for chumps

Ha Ha! Made you look.