we don't take debit

June 24, 2010, 1:46 p.m.

do ya ever wonder how the world survived before bank M/C's ,before visa cards ,before cell phones to call honey to pick up some milk,before supermarkets were open till 11pm every day but x-mas ,before debit cards … before

No doubt. I was just thinking the same thing with the constant Apple product releases and everyone thinking they need it to survive.

I wonder how much personal spending as a whole has gone up since debit cards were introduced and everyone and anyone can get a credit card.

June 24, 2010, 1:50 p.m.

Comparing a jug of beer, two meals and two appetizers to pack of gum is a little silly no? I try not to carry more then 30 dollars with me at a time.

The Ham

No referring to your situation directly, btu rather a societal condition.

But a credit card takes the same amount of time as a debit card…

It isn't just the time issue. Most of my post was directed at teh money these people are wasting.

Let me break it down for you. Assuming you use teh card responsibly

With a Visa
Annual fee on Cheapest Visa card at Royal Bank $19 (plus 1% cash Back)
Cheapest Bank Account $4 with 15 interac transactions per month.
Total cost per year $67 (plus 1% cash back)

With Debit
Cheapest No Limit banking option at RBC: 10.95/Month
Total per year: $131.4

So $67 plus 1% back or $131.4 for a debit. The math is easy. Obviouosly there a couple exceptions to this, one being PC I believe, but for almost anyone at a major bank, the credit card, used properly will save you money.

June 24, 2010, 1:53 p.m.

People pay for debit cards???? Rough!

June 24, 2010, 1:56 p.m.

I take out 200$ walk-around money and I spend it till the money is gone
at which point I get more from an ATM belonging to my bank

I want to hang on to my money so I spend less money if I carry cash than if I carry a card of any kind

It shouldnt make any difference cuz money is money …but it does

June 24, 2010, 1:58 p.m.

was at a bar in vegas this weekend.
Service charge on the ATM: $75…. no shit.

I went credit

June 24, 2010, 2 p.m.

I would assume that it does have to do with the charges incurred. For a retailer to have a credit/debit machine they have to pay a percentage of the sales to VISA/MC or your bank. Credit cards are a gimme as the majority of our society runs in the red when it comes to finances. If the pub is smaller and slower then it makes perfect 'cents' for them to take the income that an independant cash machine owner will pay them as opposed to paying 4% to the bank to authorize through the machine.

Think of it from the small pub owners perspective. They have tons of costs in running their establishment. That 4% they make as opposed to having to pay may be the only reason they are there for you to enjoy. That's my thought on it anyway.

Would be a good point except this is not a small pub, its part of a chain of like 6 Irish pubs in Calgary. I never said it was small or slow. As a matter of fact the only reason we didn't go to the smaller neighborhood pub that does accept debit is because our friends wanted to check out cheap appetizer night at this other place.

do ya ever wonder how the world survived before bank M/C's ,before visa cards ,before cell phones to call honey to pick up some milk,before supermarkets were open till 11pm every day but x-mas ,before debit cards … before

before basic sanitation, before refrigeration, before antibiotics ETC ETC whats your point. I guess if debit cards did not exist I don't think I would be upset they didn't take them. Considering I don't drive, don't own a cell phone and can't wear anything but a wind up watch I have a pretty good idea of how the world got along before cell phones ETC.

As far as the whole issue with credit cards from my days working at a gas station my understanding is that not everywhere takes every type of credit card. Am I supposed to carry a few more pieces of plastic around for those places that don't accept one of the most popular payment methods?

June 24, 2010, 2:04 p.m.

I take out 200$ walk-around money and I spend it till the money is gone
at which point I get more from an ATM belonging to my bank

I don't drive so walking around with 200 dollars is a sure fire way for me to lose 200 bucks. getting mugged for max 30 bucks is not nearly as bad as 200.

The Ham

June 24, 2010, 2:13 p.m.

They have lots of muggings in Calgary and Canmore? We were thinking of roadtripping there but if the crime is that bad, maybe not. I might go back to Costa Rica or Brasil, it sounds safer.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

June 24, 2010, 2:19 p.m.

They have lots of muggings in Calgary and Canmore? We were thinking of roadtripping there but if the crime is that bad, maybe not. I might go back to Costa Rica or Brasil, it sounds safer.

Never said they were common but I don't feel safe walking around with 200 dollars in my pocket anywhere. Not many people are hit by cars in Calgary either but I don't stand in the middle of McLeod trail waving my dick around.

June 24, 2010, 2:35 p.m.

Am I supposed to carry a few more pieces of plastic around for those places that don't accept one of the most popular payment methods?

your the one who doesnt have all the "tools of money " in his wallet and yer also the one who is complaining

do you get mugged all the time ?

I think my point is that people took out enough money from the bank to last them all weekend ,they bought enough food for the weekend ,they got a list from honey or used a land line to ask her what she needed …YOU seem to be complaining cuz life isn't convienient enough for ya ?

June 24, 2010, 2:49 p.m.

Would be a good point except this is not a small pub, its part of a chain of like 6 Irish pubs in Calgary. I never said it was small or slow. As a matter of fact the only reason we didn't go to the smaller neighborhood pub that does accept debit is because our friends wanted to check out cheap appetizer night at this other place.

K. From a business point of view, even if it is part of a large chain (independant franchise or all owned by one person or corp) the general rule of thumb is that is has to be financially viable or it won't stay around. Nobody likes owning a money losing business or subsidizing a location by taking proceeds from a profitable location. Unfortunately, that's the way a lot of businesses work, if it loses money it gets sold or closed.

The % difference between having to pay the surcharges and receiving money from the independant ATM operator can make a huge difference to the manager/owner when they review the books. It may be inconvenient to stop at a bank but for the staff and owner I am sure they would be inconvenienced with no employment. That's the business side anyway. Without first hand knowledge and the ability to review their books I couldn't tell you why they do it. We are all just guessing and you are walking 100 ft out of your way and paying an extra few dollars for dinner.

Without going back through all the posts, if you are uncomfortable carrying cash, don't drive, can't get to your bank, don't own credit cards, find it unacceptable to pay the extra charges involved with independant ATM and don't think you should have to walk across the bar to pay the said charges I would recommend asking if they accept debit when you enter an establishment and let your friends know they may have to spot you some cash until you can, at your convenience of course, pay them back and never visit the establishment again.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

June 24, 2010, 3:18 p.m.

your the one who doesnt have all the "tools of money " in his wallet and yer also the one who is complaining

do you get mugged all the time ?

I think my point is that people took out enough money from the bank to last them all weekend ,they bought enough food for the weekend ,they got a list from honey or used a land line to ask her what she needed …YOU seem to be complaining cuz life isn't convienient enough for ya ?

No I don't have all the "tools of money" and feel that all those "tools of money" are not needed 99% of the time. If I was going to be in a situation where I thought I needed a card I would find a solution beforehand. I am not getting into car accidents all the time but still wear my seat-belt when in a car.

I am complaining because what is in effect a restaurant did not accept a very common form of payment. I would take the same issue from them if they didn't accept cash. I still have not heard any reasonable explanation as to why they would not take debit, the only reason I can see is because they want to make more money from people by making them pay the 3 dollars to use the ATM. That is fine for them but I will not be returning to their establishment. I was not the only one at the table who took issue with it. I took out enough to pay for everyone's meals and drinks and they paid me back.

The Ham

June 24, 2010, 3:21 p.m.

It's not a question of brains and will power. I am not going to use it so why would I want to pay the fees to have one? I haven't been in a situation where I needed a card and couldn't get around it, I don't drive so renting a car is a moot point. my credit rating was good enough I was able to get a mortgage on a house. I had the brains and will power to get a bank loan on large purchases (bike) when I was younger and just pay it off right away.

Reasons to get a credit card

a) They're free

Along with the lack of fees you will pay, you get the following benefits from a credit card:

b) Rewards programs (anywhere from 1% to 3% cash back. More if you travel and have a travel points card)
c) Extended warranty (any platinum card, you buy something and the warranty is doubled)
d) Theft protection (buy something and if it gets stolen within 30 days, the credit company buys you a new one)
e) Travel insurance (FREE)
f) A credit card is essentially a 20 day interest free loan. Opportunity cost of money.
g) Consumer protection - unscrupulous merchant fucks you over? Chargeback!
h) Airlines lose your luggage while travelling? Credit card company gives you money

Reasons not to get a credit card
a) You're stupid.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

June 24, 2010, 3:33 p.m.

Reasons not to get a credit card
a) You're stupid.

Cute thanks for that:crybaby:

The Ham

June 24, 2010, 4:13 p.m.

I'm infuriated that a bank would charge me $3 to give me cash on the spot at any time of day so that I can blow that money at a bar that has a ridiculous markup on alcohol.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells