we don't take debit

June 24, 2010, 11:36 a.m.

Why not just go to your own bank on the way to the bar? No service fees using your banks machines.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

June 24, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

Why not just go to your own bank on the way to the bar? No service fees using your banks machines.

Stopping at the drink link on the way to the pub is what I usually do.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

June 24, 2010, 11:53 a.m.

Because my bank is not on the way to the bar, even if it was I wanted to pay debit as it is more convenient then stopping off at my bank.

The Ham

June 24, 2010, 12:22 p.m.

I have had enough with debit cards. If you are using a debit card for every little purchase, you should do society a favour and go to a bank machine once a week. You will save money by lowering your transactions (or changing your account set up) and everyone else won't have to wait five minutes for you to buy a pack of gum.

If you live within your means, and are smart with money, a credit card is perfect. You get rewards for using it and it's cheaper than debit. There is no reason anyone should be using debit on a regular basis unless you like giving the banks extra money.

June 24, 2010, 12:35 p.m.

The Longhorn in Whistler is the same way…no debit and ATM's that kill you with the 'service fee'. I no longer go there for food anymore.

June 24, 2010, 12:36 p.m.

By not taking debit they are doing everyone in the bar a favour by speeding up the payment process. Cash is king, especially in a bar. Credit is 2nd best, plus you earn cashback or airmiles. Debit is for 13 year old kids with allowances.

June 24, 2010, 12:43 p.m.

I have had enough with debit cards. If you are using a debit card for every little purchase, you should do society a favour and go to a bank machine once a week. You will save money by lowering your transactions (or changing your account set up) and everyone else won't have to wait five minutes for you to buy a pack of gum.

If you live within your means, and are smart with money, a credit card is perfect. You get rewards for using it and it's cheaper than debit. There is no reason anyone should be using debit on a regular basis unless you like giving the banks extra money.

But a credit card takes the same amount of time as a debit card…

This space intentionally left blank.

June 24, 2010, 12:43 p.m.

Because my bank is not on the way to the bar, even if it was I wanted to pay debit as it is more convenient then stopping off at my bank.

The Ham

Is it up to the retailer to accept every type of payment there is ,if I went into my local pub and wanted to pay with a live chicken shouldnt they take that as well ?

the independant ATM's (I never use them)that charge the high fee's are there for your convenience , when you can't be bothered to go to your own bank OR have a little cash in your pocket …there must be a lot of people like you OR the machines wouldn't be there

I would use any machine from a class A bank or CU before I would use one of those independant M/C … if something goes haywire I would rather be dealing with a bank

June 24, 2010, 12:51 p.m.

Debit is for 13 year old kids with allowances.

Maybe. But I have yet to be mugged for my debit card.

I think everywhere should at least have the option of debit and have machines that work properly. If evertything is working right it takes no longer than using a credit card. Sometimes less since there is no screwing around with having to signing involved.

June 24, 2010, 1:26 p.m.

Comparing a jug of beer, two meals and two appetizers to pack of gum is a little silly no? I try not to carry more then 30 dollars with me at a time.

By not taking debit they are doing everyone in the bar a favour by speeding up the payment process. Cash is king, especially in a bar. Credit is 2nd best, plus you earn cashback or airmiles. Debit is for 13 year old kids with allowances.

I fail to see how they are doing everyone in the bar a favor, its not a big nightclub where people are lining up to pay. its an Irish pub with large tables so I am sure even on busy days the line up to pay is minimal.

Is it up to the retailer to accept every type of payment there is ,if I went into my local pub and wanted to pay with a live chicken shouldnt they take that as well ?

the independant ATM's (I never use them)that charge the high fee's are there for your convenience , when you can't be bothered to go to your own bank OR have a little cash in your pocket …there must be a lot of people like you OR the machines wouldn't be there

Come on we are comparing chickens with debit cards now? You might make enough to consider 50 dollars a little cash but I am not in the same boat as you. In all my years of going out for food and beers I have come across two places that didn't take debit and they have both been in the past month.

I am not going out and getting a credit card just because a few places can't be bothered to take debit. Nor am I going to start carrying around large amounts of cash. I carry cash around for smaller purchases and use my debit card maybe twice a week for larger purchases.

The Ham

June 24, 2010, 1:38 p.m.

Time-wise it's probably a pain in the ass for them to wait around while you fuck up your PIN 2 or 3 times 'cause you're drunk and there's a ton of people waiting to be served.

/thread

June 24, 2010, 1:40 p.m.

Come on we are comparing chickens with debit cards now? You might make enough to consider 50 dollars a little cash but I am not in the same boat as you. In all my years of going out for food and beers I have come across two places that didn't take debit and they have both been in the past month.

I would assume that it does have to do with the charges incurred. For a retailer to have a credit/debit machine they have to pay a percentage of the sales to VISA/MC or your bank. Credit cards are a gimme as the majority of our society runs in the red when it comes to finances. If the pub is smaller and slower then it makes perfect 'cents' for them to take the income that an independant cash machine owner will pay them as opposed to paying 4% to the bank to authorize through the machine.

You might make enough to consider 50 dollars a little cash but I am not in the same boat as you.

Think of it from the small pub owners perspective. They have tons of costs in running their establishment. That 4% they make as opposed to having to pay may be the only reason they are there for you to enjoy. That's my thought on it anyway.

June 24, 2010, 1:41 p.m.

What about the fact that credit cards charge more to retailers than debit cards do? I'd think they'd rather you paid with debit vs credit (some US gas stations even charge more per gallon for credit card purchases than if you use cash). If I go into a place and can't pay debit, I'll whip out the credit card. Costs me nothing to transfer the funds to cover the transaction on my computer when I get home.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 24, 2010, 1:42 p.m.

do ya ever wonder how the world survived before bank M/C's ,before visa cards ,before cell phones to call honey to pick up some milk,before supermarkets were open till 11pm every day but x-mas ,before debit cards … before

June 24, 2010, 1:46 p.m.

do ya ever wonder how the world survived before bank M/C's ,before visa cards ,before cell phones to call honey to pick up some milk,before supermarkets were open till 11pm every day but x-mas ,before debit cards … before

and don't forget the big one….cell phones.