we don't take debit

June 25, 2010, noon

Too many old people whining here. Going to a bar? Bring a bunch of cash. Better yet, run a tab with your credit card.

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

June 25, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

Better yet, run a tab with your credit card.

Which bar do you work for? :P

June 25, 2010, 12:08 p.m.

Too many old people whining here. Going to a bar? Bring a bunch of cash. Better yet, run a tab with your credit card.

Agreed. I've been to bars where they stop taking debit at about 8:00. When a place is busy, this just keeps the line moving, as I think was said in like the third post here. I wouldn't go to a bar where they accept debit all night. Lines are bad enough with drunk people fumbling bills and arguing with the bartender.

June 25, 2010, 12:25 p.m.

Which bar do you work for? :P

I find it actually saves me money. Instead of tipping on every drink I tip once when I settle the tab, always works out cheaper.

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

June 25, 2010, 12:34 p.m.

Another reason to carry cash is to avoid all the tip requests that come on those debit card machines. They're everywhere, even pizza places with counter service.

It takes three steps to say you don't want to tip them for handing you a slice over the counter. It's terrible.

Tipping requests are getting out of control.

June 25, 2010, 1:24 p.m.

I can't believe everyone is dumping on the ham for this shit. All restaurants, clubs and bars should take debit cards, even after 8. For one thing, debit is no slower than credit cards, especially since they are all chipped now and the transaction is essentially the exact same thing. Credit cards also charge the establishment fees which are greater than the debit fees, so that argument is BS. The debit charges for the pub are just another cost of doing business. I bet you won't find many pubs out there that don't take debit AND don't have a $3 transaction fee instacash machine. I bet you also wouldn't find too many that tell you they don't take it up front. That can't pull the same scam for credit cards, so they accept them.

June 25, 2010, 3:54 p.m.

Another reason to carry cash is to avoid all the tip requests that come on those debit card machines. They're everywhere, even pizza places with counter service.

It takes three steps to say you don't want to tip them for handing you a slice over the counter. It's terrible.

Tipping requests are getting out of control.

This could be a whole other thread. It was bad enough when practically every business that involved the slightest level of service put a tip jar on the counter. Now you get pestered via Interac. Fortunately, I almost never use debit.

June 25, 2010, 7:05 p.m.

LRH did nail on the first page and I only read to the end of the thatt page. As a bartender, I'll take cash or a CC tab over waiting for the debit terminal to be free.

As for chipped CC's: start a tab, close it out and enter it once.

For the business, having portable debits can be an issue as they can circulate away from the bar/server and be replaced with a skimmer. That's a bigger issue than a $3 or ($30) service charge for both the house and the customer.

If you find the service charge ridiculous, take out a lot of cash once. Or trust the bartender and start a tab. You might even get preferential treatment from the same bartender when you do. And as an FYI/PSA - if you a start a tab, go to the same bartender you started it with.

Seriously though, how how hard is it to plan ahead and stop by a bank or atm before you get your get your fubar on? You know there will be a charge on almost any ATM or should. Not thinking is allowed after drink #6 - not while sobriety is something you still enjoy.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 25, 2010, 7:24 p.m.

LRH did nail on the first page and I only read to the end of the thatt page. As a bartender, I'll take cash or a CC tab over waiting for the debit terminal to be free.

As for chipped CC's: start a tab, close it out and enter it once.

For the business, having portable debits can be an issue as they can circulate away from the bar/server and be replaced with a skimmer. That's a bigger issue than a $3 or ($30) service charge for both the house and the customer.

If you find the service charge ridiculous, take out a lot of cash once. Or trust the bartender and start a tab. You might even get preferential treatment from the same bartender when you do. And as an FYI/PSA - if you a start a tab, go to the same bartender you started it with.

Seriously though, how how hard is it to plan ahead and stop by a bank or atm before you get your get your fubar on? You know there will be a charge on almost any ATM or should. Not thinking is allowed after drink #6 - not while sobriety is something you still enjoy.

seems you "read" the first page. I was not getting my fubar on, I was out for supper at a pub. it might as well have been a sit down restaurant. If I am going out to get loaded I bring as much cash as I think I will need and that is it. I was not paying for one beer on debit, the bill came out to more then 50 dollars which is where the issue was. I carry cash on me just not that much, I didn't stop by the bank on the way for supper because it made sense to me that a bar that serves food would have debit.

The Ham

June 25, 2010, 7:27 p.m.

Lol pub food suxxors
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 25, 2010, 8:54 p.m.

in addition, IMO its just un-cool to pay for your $20 burger and beer with your bank card. Like your a cheap miser that doenst carry cash or own credit cards because your too stingy to pay interest or whatever stupid reason. Can you picture danny ocean or jack nicholson paying with debit? hells no.

June 25, 2010, 9:23 p.m.

so im going to the pub tomorrow nite, how should i roll?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 25, 2010, 9:29 p.m.

in addition, IMO its just un-cool to pay for your $20 burger and beer with your bank card. Like your a cheap miser that doenst carry cash or own credit cards because your too stingy to pay interest or whatever stupid reason. Can you picture danny ocean or jack nicholson paying with debit? hells no.

I don't know who Danny ocean is so I have a feeling the expiry date for my cool card is far past. I would also like to point out that if I had been out for a night of heavy drinking and had a credit card I would have left it at home. When I am out drinking I will bring as much money as I want to spend that night. That way if I get some stupid drunken ideas there is only so far I can take it.

Also I am married, it doesn't matter if I pay for something in a way that is awesome I still have the same likely-hood of getting laid when I get home.

The ham

June 25, 2010, 9:41 p.m.

Yeah - I love paying extra cash for no reason. LOL.

Having said that, I run everything through credit card. Unless I'm in Greece, can't trust those shifty bastards.

June 25, 2010, 9:56 p.m.

I'd like to remind everyone that I run around with at least $600 in my pocket. I want to emulate the guys in movies.