Water that burns

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:14 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy_GHd4bYNQ

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2011/09/27

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:19 p.m.

idiot.

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:32 p.m.

That is not too uncommon. Some family of mine in Saskatchewan showed me that trick on their tap water.

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

That is not too uncommon. Some family of mine in Saskatchewan showed me that trick on their tap water.

When they want a hot bath do they simply fill the tub and strike a match?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:56 p.m.

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

Worth a watch. Pretty terrifying, especially for me since I'm from a "prime fracking state"

Sept. 27, 2011, 10:57 p.m.

The question is, how did they figure this out in the first place?

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Sept. 27, 2011, 11:13 p.m.

The question is, how did they figure this out in the first place?

they got really stoned?

australia was actually founded by criminals and its original purpose was for england to send over its criminals so the brits wouldnt have to deal with them in England, minding this was over 100 yrs ago.

Sept. 27, 2011, 11:38 p.m.

The bong water caught fire

www.natooke.com

Sept. 28, 2011, 7:21 a.m.

The journalistic ignorance as to what's going on underground in wells astounds me. I've listened to 45 minutes of CBC radio talking about "the dangers of fracing" ([HTML_REMOVED]-- on a side note, please note that that is spelled with out a K. It's short for fracture. Figure it out people…) where the scared general populous phoned in talking about the wells that fractured themselves near their homes causing the earth to shake.

Here's whats actually happening (Grimace or others can feel free to correct me if I've made some mistakes):

A well is drilled, and casing, a liner, or both are run down the hole to provide a home for the production tubing and tools that will eventually be inserted into the well bore.

If the oil company wants to increase production from their target zone (they almost always do), they pump some sort of frac fluid or gas down hole at very high pressures against several stages to fracture set points in the formation. These are well controlled openings in the formation, and the distance of each fracture is precisely set.

This is happening between 2 and 4 km below the Earths surface. There is no danger to you or your aquifer. There is no danger of the earth falling in on itself.

Why is there no danger to your aquifer? It's simple. If the oil company opens a path between your aquifer and a source of natural gas or oil, they will experience losses in their production values. They don't like that, and would instead rather see every last bit of carbon fuels come up to the surface… why design a well to bleed off production?

and just in case you missed it above "Fracing" is short for Fracturing". There is no K. Spell it right.

Sept. 28, 2011, 7:51 a.m.

So I notice that from all the light your water on fire videos going around they can only
do it right when they turn on the tap. So, does that mean that there's natural gas in their
water that raises to the top where the faucet is and after you run it for 30 seconds it's
all gone? Also, I'd think it would have to be a gas in the water because any liquid (that's
liquid in ambient air temps) would not be able to create a vapor to burn, so there goes the
whole it's the chemicals that are burning. Go to a fire fighting course and they'll explain
to you how things burn…it's not the item itself that burns (wood, gas, etc), it's the
vapors that are created during the ignition process. Burn a match or candle and you'll see
the flame is just above the item that's burning because it's the vapors/gas that is burning.

Anyway, not sure where I'm going with this except that they have gas in their water not
chemicals IMO. Seems like that the water treatment plant they could have some area to
gas off (maybe collect/burn and power the process, thus saving money) before it gets
sent to the houses.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 28, 2011, 8:22 a.m.

and just in case you missed it above "Fracing" is short for Fracturing". There is no K. Spell it right.

Then by standard English rules of pronunciation, it is pronounced "fray-sing", as the vowel after the letter 'c' always means a soft 'c'.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 28, 2011, 8:28 a.m.

This is happening between 2 and 4 km below the Earths surface. There is no danger to you or your aquifer. There is no danger of the earth falling in on itself.

The jury is out on this, there is evidence to suggest otherwise, though a definite link is not determined. Research is needed to confirm or deny a link. Does it make sense to just blindly go ahead and do this when there's some (even small) possibility of a link between fracking (it needs to be spelled that way to come out with the correct pronunciation) and groundwater contamination? Or is the cautious approach maybe a bit wiser … find out all the facts first, then proceed if safe? The O[HTML_REMOVED]G industry has a pretty poor track record when it comes to sweeping statements along the lines of "trust us, it's safe".

And I notice how you've conveniently omitted any reference to the massive amounts of water needed to perform a fracking (sic) operation, usually taken from local aquifers, contaminated all to shit, then stored in open ponds in the wilderness for local wildlife to enjoy, I mean get killed by.

Kn.

Sept. 28, 2011, 8:31 a.m.

When they want a hot bath do they simply fill the tub and strike a match?

I doubt it. I am not sure if it had to do with local oil or gas, but I know most everyone in town had the same issue with the well water. They could light the tap only when it was just turned on. Other than that it wouldn't light.

I was maybe 10 years old at the time. I thought it was pretty cool and was disappointed I couldn't light my tap at home.

Sept. 28, 2011, 8:33 a.m.

So pretty and relaxing. Ain't nature sweet?

Kn.

Sept. 28, 2011, 8:55 a.m.

The journalistic ignorance as to what's going on underground in wells astounds me. I've listened to 45 minutes of CBC radio talking about "the dangers of fracing" ([HTML_REMOVED]-- on a side note, please note that that is spelled with out a K. It's short for fracture. Figure it out people…) where the scared general populous phoned in talking about the wells that fractured themselves near their homes causing the earth to shake.

Here's whats actually happening (Grimace or others can feel free to correct me if I've made some mistakes):

A well is drilled, and casing, a liner, or both are run down the hole to provide a home for the production tubing and tools that will eventually be inserted into the well bore.

If the oil company wants to increase production from their target zone (they almost always do), they pump some sort of frac fluid or gas down hole at very high pressures against several stages to fracture set points in the formation. These are well controlled openings in the formation, and the distance of each fracture is precisely set.

Why is there no danger to your aquifer? It's simple. If the oil company opens a path between your aquifer and a source of natural gas or oil, they will experience losses in their production values. They don't like that, and would instead rather see every last bit of carbon fuels come up to the surface… why design a well to bleed off production?

You can have one large frac with out the valves downhole and the formation will crack at the weakest point. The type you're explaining is a multistage frac which works much better in the shale gas plays that have gained popularity in the last few years.

They also pump sand or another porous media into the hole to keep the fractures open.

The jury is out on this, there is evidence to suggest otherwise, though a definite link is not determined. Research is needed to confirm or deny a link. Does it make sense to just blindly go ahead and do this when there's some (even small) possibility of a link between fracking (it needs to be spelled that way to come out with the correct pronunciation) and groundwater contamination? Or is the cautious approach maybe a bit wiser … find out all the facts first, then proceed if safe? The O[HTML_REMOVED]G industry has a pretty poor track record when it comes to sweeping statements along the lines of "trust us, it's safe".

And I notice how you've conveniently omitted any reference to the massive amounts of water needed to perform a fracking (sic) operation, usually taken from local aquifers, contaminated all to shit, then stored in open ponds in the wilderness for local wildlife to enjoy, I mean get killed by.

Kn.

Yes it uses a lot of water but the fracs I have been apart of the water is trucked out and dealt with according to environmental laws. In the US it might be different. I have only been apart of fracing jobs in Canada.

Oil companies like most large corporations abide by the rules in place. In the North Sea all formation cuttings are back loaded to shore and disposed of as mandated by the Norwegian gov't. In Australia they dump them overboard into the Indian Ocean because its not in the regulations to send them to shore. Put the rules in place and they will abide by them.